Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Doctoral Dissertation of Rhoda J. Lipscomb

Default The Doctoral Dissertation of Rhoda J. Lipscomb

Have any of you read this dissertation? I found it on Bittergrey's awesome site. I don't think I've been here long enough to be allowed to post links, so just copy and paste this one:

http://understanding.infantilism.org...ssertation.php

When I was a youngster (Hey, get off my lawn!) we had no Internet - and I'm sure you've read tons of older folk saying they grew up convinced of being the one and only person in the Universe that likes diapers. You really have to grasp the severity of loneliness that produces.

I used to read medical journals and such looking for something like this dissertation. And while I don't agree with everything it says - the study was based on only 4 men, after all - I found it to be quite useful and enlightening. Of course she also drew on the vast knowledge of Bittergrey's surveys (which I'm pretty sure I participated in), so that does significantly pad that "4 men study group" number.

TL;DR - Anyway, the question is: Did you find this dissertation useful? Have you shared it with anyone? If so, what was the outcome?

I'm going to read this when I have a little more time - I love reading research on ABDL! Thanks for pointing this out!

Like you, I used to spend time in university looking for scholarly articles about ABDL. Even with the benefits of online searching, it was hard to find much. There was an article released in January that got posted on here several months back, and it had some interesting conclusions. I'll definitely be reading this and posting my thoughts, though. Great find!

Yes, this looks interesting but I too will have to wait until I have more time. I hope I remember to chase after the article tomorrow.

Like you said, it was based on just four guys, but the background information was fascinating. Kellog invented cornflakes to repress the sex drive? Hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    There was an article released in January that got posted on here several months back, and it had some interesting conclusions.
    Ooh! If you come across it again please point me to it. I'm new here so I haven't seen it

I'm a bit disappointed... I was rather hoping for something new, since it is a PhD-thesis, but most of it is just the same old story I've read dozens of times in the past years. Most of what she found out in her interviews is widely accessible in the 'anonymous' worldwideweb (that's another point I cannot believe to read in a paper in 2014, see Cyberanthropology). Any one could have done more just by spending a couple of weeks doing qualitative fieldwork in online-communities. What's the point of including that whole statistical apparatus? What's wrong with presenting four different/individual case studies, that might also give some additional background info (biography, social contexts, actual pactices)? Why again graphs showing how often people masturbate in their nappies? Why isn't she trying to identify dimensions beyond mere sexuality?

If "[t]he purpose of phenomenological research is to investigate the meaning of the lived experience of people to identify the core essence of human experience or phenomena as described by research participants" (p. 72, emphasis by me), she is doing a very poor job. Besides having only four participants, her basic research questions (except for #1, which is frankly quite interesting, but is left without any meaningful conclusion) leave the impression, that any form of diaper fetishism or infantilism is something that needs professional attention. This is a weird presupposition to make, especially as she distances herself from questionable forms of representation at the beginning of the thesis (p. 2 - 3), but not uncommon among sexual researchers. In the end, her work is just as misrepresentive as many other studies from the past, even though she should be aware of the pitfalls. Wasted potential, in my opinion.

Phew, I might have gotten a bit ranty there

There is the possibility that fetishism is a natural expression of human variation that has been pathologized by the definition of deviance (Hawkinson & Zamboni, 2014).
    *I know, I'm one to talk about rather ambiguous meanings, in long strings of words... However...*

When I attempt to understand the meaning of this, the following is what I'm prompted to...

Why be so tentative with this?

I don't think there is the possibility...

I think that [the] expression of human variation, whether a fetish specifically or not... most certainly is 'natural'...

The "deviance" can only be pathological... if it's in fact a defect...

[Latin defectus] : a lack of something necessary for completeness, adequacy, or perfection :
    Not being statistically normal... is not a defect, and the consensus that we have no proper or convincing aggregate information... makes the statistical evaluation rather useless...

Also, I find the use of percentages relative to the 4-respondants, as misleading... yes, "with 75% of participants reporting", and 3 out of these 4 interviewed, is mathematically equivalent... It tends to be more suggestive, of a larger sample size, and an otherwise more encompassing study. It presents as a bit too much unqualified authority...

Quote Originally Posted by Astatine View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed... [...] Any one could have done more just by spending a couple of weeks doing qualitative fieldwork in online-communities.

What's the point of including that whole statistical apparatus?

What's wrong with presenting four different/individual case studies, that might also give some additional background info (biography, social contexts, actual pactices)?

Why again graphs showing how often people masturbate in their nappies? Why isn't she trying to identify dimensions beyond mere sexuality?
    Exactly!

Especially, where...

Because the participants were known to the researcher rather than anonymous participants as in most studies, this gave the researcher a unique insight into the lives of the four participants.
    ... She had quite a vantage point to "background info (biography, social contexts, actual pactices)"

If

"[t]he purpose of phenomenological research is to investigate the meaning of the lived experience of people to identify the core essence of human experience or phenomena as described by research participants"
    (p. 72, emphasis by me), she is doing a very poor job. Besides having only four participants, her basic research questions (except for #1, which is frankly quite interesting, but is left without any meaningful conclusion) leave the impression, that any form of diaper fetishism or infantilism is something that needs professional attention. This is a weird presupposition to make, especially as she distances herself from questionable forms of representation at the beginning of the thesis (p. 2 - 3), but not uncommon among sexual researchers. In the end, her work is just as misrepresentive as many other studies from the past, even though she should be aware of the pitfalls. Wasted potential, in my opinion.
    [...]
    I have not read the entire dissertation... but, I'm not terribly inclined to at this point either...

I'm pretty much in agreement with Astatine's assessment...

I do however, look forward to what others here think...

Regards,
    -Marka

Just had a super speed read....hmmm well, nothing really new there I think. But, it is sort of comforting to know that it is a considered academic topic, which is not being investigated in terms of total freakishness. I did warm to the albeit, 'clinical' ethical approach. Clearly, in referencing existing literature, it is going to reflect the prosaic nature of such studies.

It is a shame in some respects that the research includes such a limited sample.....though kudos to the author for getting four willing participants....surely that wouldn't be easy.

The study does provide a fairly sound academic underpinning...terminology, theoretical developments etc, but given the early emphasis on the phenomenological approach, I think I expected a more intimate revelation from the participants.....(which, oddly enough, we are privy to within our own site here)

A couple of thoughts crossed my mind as I skimmed through....OK another bit of literature - good, a kind of acknowledgment that there is no pigeon holing possible for this..., positive referencing of articles etc that I've found useful - good, an extensive reference list...... feeling while reading this a genuine sense of gratitude that ADISC exists both as a safe place for us to explore ourselves and as an avenue for authentic well considered advice, straight from the horses mouth, so to speak......

I will probably have another read.....I am always interested in how our unique gift is reflected to the broader world.

Having spent a few hours yesterday reading and digesting the entire work, I've got some points I'd like to raise:

• The author tried to have a larger sample size: all other contacted in relation to the study declined to participate
    • The initial questionnaire explicitly solicited additional topics/questions/concerns for the follow-up interviews
    • The overall intent was to determine why the ABDL community is so adverse to seeking Mental Health Treatment
    • The author freely admits the study is suggestive but inconclusive as her sample is very limited in most dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by Traemo View Post
    Having spent a few hours yesterday reading and digesting the entire work, I've got some points I'd like to raise:

The overall intent was to determine why the ABDL community is so adverse to seeking Mental Health Treatment
    That is what I understood to be the primary concern of the dissertation