Thread: Ptsd

Question Ptsd

I figure it's a long shot, but has anyone ever studied the connection between ptsd and abdl? I feel like when my ptsd starts flaring up, is about when my abdl side started getting into full gear.

I haven't personally studied it. I had PTSD following a surgery in my teens where I very nearly died. I don't recall it having any effect on my little side, but everyone reacts to things differently.

One thing I would say is that I'm tentative about people trying to make links between trauma and ABDL - partly because I don't think there's always a connection, but also because it suggests that something has gone wrong in our internal and external circumstances, to make us like this. Some people just enjoy recreating and rediscovering aspects of childhood, and have no deep-rooted issues underlying that.

However, I'd agree that there's some correlation between experiencing difficulties of various kinds (especially in our formative years, when our brains are still developing) and a tendency to try and recapture the sense of comfort and positive stimuli of being babied and/or partaking in activities like a baby.

I think it's likely that anxiety and trauma has the tendency to draw out things which were always somewhere in the mind, as coping mechanisms. ABDL, in many ways, is a palatable and enjoyable way of becoming vulnerable, and in that sense, it can be a helpful and natural way to deal with the trauma of something shaking your foundations and making you vulnerable - without you having to face the issues absolutely face-on. There's also the simple (but nonetheless true) assertion that the more difficulties you've gone through, the more likely you are to try and recapture a time when you were happy - if all your life had been easy, the experience of childhood things might not appear as 'greener grass', to use a cliché.

I do have severe PTSD, or I did... I think I'm on the mend... Anywho in some ways I think my PTSD and my AB side are connected I actually find my flashbacks to make me a neurotic mess and it actually keeps my little side at bay.

So maybe what caused the PTSD is part of why I'm an adult baby but I think it might be equal parts childhood trauma/ simply enjoying the freedom and innocence of childhood.

I both do and don't see how my childhood may have caused it.

My therapist and I figured out that the Diaper Discipline I remember is the cause of my ABDL. I had a very touchy gut and prone to messy accidents and I thought I would be put back into diapers because of them so I did it myself. after that it was a self soothing thing that came with the binge and purge cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    My therapist and I figured out that the Diaper Discipline I remember is the cause of my ABDL. I had a very touchy gut and prone to messy accidents and I thought I would be put back into diapers because of them so I did it myself. after that it was a self soothing thing that came with the binge and purge cycles.
    I had to wear them for 2 weeks while I was in a coma, and then a little while when I had to learn to walk again after a car accident in 1990. I'm wondering if that has something to do with my urges now.

I've always figured that my ABDL tendencies are a sort of a coping mechanism to my various traumas, so a flare-up of one is probably linked to the other. Granted, I don't ever act on my ABDL interests, so I can't say for sure.

As for any type of scientific study, I can almost guarantee that one does not exist, just based on how small the segment of the population who would be studied is, as well as a general unwillingness to be open about it. Someone probably could try and do a meta-analysis of sorts, but it would need to be based on a number of interviews between individual therapists and their patients, and that would present problems in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsALot View Post
    I haven't personally studied it. I had PTSD following a surgery in my teens where I very nearly died. I don't recall it having any effect on my little side, but everyone reacts to things differently.

One thing I would say is that I'm tentative about people trying to make links between trauma and ABDL - partly because I don't think there's always a connection, but also because it suggests that something has gone wrong in our internal and external circumstances, to make us like this. Some people just enjoy recreating and rediscovering aspects of childhood, and have no deep-rooted issues underlying that.

However, I'd agree that there's some correlation between experiencing difficulties of various kinds (especially in our formative years, when our brains are still developing) and a tendency to try and recapture the sense of comfort and positive stimuli of being babied and/or partaking in activities like a baby.

I think it's likely that anxiety and trauma has the tendency to draw out things which were always somewhere in the mind, as coping mechanisms. ABDL, in many ways, is a palatable and enjoyable way of becoming vulnerable, and in that sense, it can be a helpful and natural way to deal with the trauma of something shaking your foundations and making you vulnerable - without you having to face the issues absolutely face-on. There's also the simple (but nonetheless true) assertion that the more difficulties you've gone through, the more likely you are to try and recapture a time when you were happy - if all your life had been easy, the experience of childhood things might not appear as 'greener grass', to use a cliché.
    Yeah! What he said