Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have a ravenous appetite?

Default Anyone else have a ravenous appetite?

Just wondering, because all I ever think about is food. I'm trying to cut my weight a little bit more so I can expose my abs(wannabe-bodybuilder) but I always crave junk, sweets, donuts, bk, ice cream, pizza, beer, etc. anyone else stricken with a Wolflike appetitive that is seemingly insatiable?

If I'm on the computer I will forget to eat till a few hours past when I normally would.

Quote Originally Posted by Duality244 View Post
    Just wondering, because all I ever think about is food. I'm trying to cut my weight a little bit more so I can expose my abs(wannabe-bodybuilder) but I always crave junk, sweets, donuts, bk, ice cream, pizza, beer, etc. anyone else stricken with a Wolflike appetitive that is seemingly insatiable?
    If you're finding yourself having cravings for sweet food then it's possible you have some sort of a sugar addiction. If you want to lose weight, I'd recommend cutting out the sugar slowly. I used to eat a lot of sugary biscuits and crap like ice-cream. Now I eat more dried fruit and nuts etc. The dried fruit is actually more flavoursome and just as sweet as the lollies etc, but I find it much more satisfying as the flavours are more complex and the fibre takes longer to digest, so you eat less, and thus lose weight.

I'd also recommend a gymnastic core workout to gain abs, rather than one of those infomercial abkingpro crap things. Try the '40 second repeat routine', it's brutal at first but your core, upper and lower body will become gymnast-strength relatively quickly.

Well, that's the funny thing about the human body. It tends to adjust to what you make "normal" for you. If that's eating 4,000 calories a day, then eating only 3,000 calories in a day will leave you feeling some combination of being physically hungry and emotionally dissatisfied. About a year ago I did a major diet and dropped to about 1,800 kcal/day which was torture. That linguine with clam sauce I love to make that I'd happily have two bowls for a meal? Turns out my bowls were around 800-900 calories each. Whoops.

Frankly, there's no nice way to put it but you just need to accept that changing your diet to be healthier, particularly when "healthier" basically means less, is going to suck. The cool thing is that after a few weeks (in my experience, about 4-6) you actually feel it change. First there's the little things. One day I broke down and cheated. What was my cheat? Six motherfucking triscuits with jalapeno jelly, and they were the best thing I'd ever tasted. A few weeks later I came across a Reese's peanut butter cup and ate it- hey, it's my favorite candy and I was having a good day. I literally couldn't swallow it because all I tasted was sugar.

And then comes the cool thing- weight loss. At first you don't really lose weight because your body is restructuring its metabolic processes. But it'll start. A few weeks later you'll start to see change (the first 5-10 pounds of fat you lose will often come from the liver, where you can't see it). Your pants get loose. People make remarks. One person literally told me that I was shrinking.

So honestly, suck it up stick with it. You'll be glad you did.

I tend to get much larger cravings for food and eat larger portions when I'm in a certain mood, so it might be worth considering whether there are certain things which have prompted you to develop and/or retain an especially large appetite. That's just one possibility though - it could be an Occam's Razor scenario where you just eat food because you find it tasty, and it's an innately human thing to repeat things we enjoy, sometimes to a point which is unnecessary or unhealthy for the body.

One thing I'd try is writing down what you've eaten on an average day, and then attempt to cut down on one of those things every few days, until you've limited or removed some of the unhealthy aspects of your diet. It's very difficult to massively change your eating habits overnight without getting frustrated and relapsing into the old comforts, but I think a gradual cut-down on amounts is a good idea (especially for sugary or fatty foods), and keeping a log of it will not only remind you where you're up to, but also motivate you as a tangible record of progress.

Good luck and best wishes, Duality244!

There has been several good post so far.

Kiwiboi has hit it on the head though. Watch Fed-Up and see about the sugar addiction and the way the food companies are the drug dealer.

Do the 10 day sugar reduction test and see how much of a change that will make.

The problem I have had since I did that is my seasonal depression is starting to act up and that makes the junk cravings even worse.

Speaking as a long distance runner whose diet is fuelled by carbohydrates, it sounds familiar to me. In fact there is a name for these cravings: Carbohydrate Addiction. It includes sugary foods, starches, fruit. It can be caused by an imbalance or over release of the hormone, insulin. Insulin signals the body to take in food, and once eaten, it signals the body to store the food energy in the form of fat.

Too much insulin results in craving more food and a body that stores more of it in the form of fat. Over time a person can become insulin resistant and can experience symptoms of fatigue, cravings or headaches as the food energy gets channelled to fat cells.

Here's a link to a test you can take to determine if there may be a problem: .

This is not medical advice, but if you suspect this is affecting your health in any way, you should probably get checked out by a doctor to determine if there may be any physiological or psychological reasons behind your cravings. If everything checks out, then it may just be a case of needing more(ugh) willpower.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 08-Dec-2014 at 12:22.

What starrunner says makes sense. For me there is a definite difference between feeling hungry and craving food. Feeling hungry is much easier to handle. It's just an annoying, achy feeling that sometimes leaves you feeling a little weak. Cravings, on the other hand, often feel overpowering and are the worst when I'm not hungry at all. Cravings can last for hours no matter how much I eat.

I partake in a certain smoking hobby, so I'm quite often unnaturally hungry =P as for during a normal day, I used to be, but for a couple years now I haven't been so hungry. I dunno if its because Im progressing further into my 20's or if its because I have a habit of eating less meals and more food per meal.