Thread: Hello

Default Hello

I'm not new, but hadn't been on in a long time. I adopted a child who is now 19 years old. He has a lot of medical complications. Amongst them is incontinence, both bladder and bowel. He takes about 2000ml of fluid overnight through a feeding tube, so he pees a LOT overnight. I'm mostly here to research new highly absorbent diapers to see if I can find a solution so that he doesn't end up in a puddle of urine in the mornings. I've tried a bunch of diapers, and doublers, and nothing seems to work. Part of the problem is his size... approx. 28" waist, 31"-32" hips, relatively small legs, and relatively short waist to crotch length. I'm open to suggestions.

Welcome, and i hope you find the answer your looking for

Quote Originally Posted by AndresMommy View Post
    I'm not new, but hadn't been on in a long time. I adopted a child who is now 19 years old. He has a lot of medical complications. Amongst them is incontinence, both bladder and bowel. He takes about 2000ml of fluid overnight through a feeding tube, so he pees a LOT overnight. I'm mostly here to research new highly absorbent diapers to see if I can find a solution so that he doesn't end up in a puddle of urine in the mornings. I've tried a bunch of diapers, and doublers, and nothing seems to work. Part of the problem is his size... approx. 28" waist, 31"-32" hips, relatively small legs, and relatively short waist to crotch length. I'm open to suggestions.
    The highest-performing medical diapers on the market are probably the Abena M4s and NorthShore Supremes. If neither of those is good enough, you can look at something like the Bambino Bellissimos, which is probably the highest-performing diaper in general. In addition, Rearz allegedly has 4500mL-rated diapers coming out soon, although no reviewers seem to have gotten their hands on them yet.

If none of those work, cloth diapering might be your answer. With cloth, if it doesn't absorb enough, just add more diapers the next time. Baby Pants is a decent source for those as far as I know, and their stuff is also available through Amazon if you'd prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by KatelynG View Post
    The highest-performing medical diapers on the market are probably the Abena M4s and NorthShore Supremes. If neither of those is good enough, you can look at something like the Bambino Bellissimos, which is probably the highest-performing diaper in general. In addition, Rearz allegedly has 4500mL-rated diapers coming out soon, although no reviewers seem to have gotten their hands on them yet.

If none of those work, cloth diapering might be your answer. With cloth, if it doesn't absorb enough, just add more diapers the next time. Baby Pants is a decent source for those as far as I know, and their stuff is also available through Amazon if you'd prefer.
    Thanks. I must be on the right track! Abenas don't work for us. I just sent a message a couple hours ago to Northshore. Ordered a sample of Bellisimos a couple days ago. I stumbled on Rearz a few days ago, too. If you hear anything more about them, I'd love to know.

Others I've tried that don't work for us include Comfidry 24/7, Tena slip maxi, Absorbency +, Tranquility ATN, etc. Most size small diapers don't have enough capacity, and many mediums are too large. My son urinates a large quantity very quickly, so if there's the slightest gap, or if the diaper doesn't absorb quickly, it leaks.

You could also try extra booster inserts if you haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AndresMommy View Post
    Thanks. I must be on the right track! Abenas don't work for us. I just sent a message a couple hours ago to Northshore. Ordered a sample of Bellisimos a couple days ago. I stumbled on Rearz a few days ago, too. If you hear anything more about them, I'd love to know.

Others I've tried that don't work for us include Comfidry 24/7, Tena slip maxi, Absorbency +, Tranquility ATN, etc. Most size small diapers don't have enough capacity, and many mediums are too large. My son urinates a large quantity very quickly, so if there's the slightest gap, or if the diaper doesn't absorb quickly, it leaks.
    Your son sounds like a flooder so if he is a side sleeper then disposables can leak bad.
    For some cloth what side sleepers use .
    Now babykin's are very friendly they have an 1800 number.

Now you could use a plastic pant to help with the leaks over a disposable diaper.
    They now have pul over pants that breath to help cut down on leaks also like a plastic pant .
    The 6mil last longer.
    You see with a flooder you need ensure you have the layers to absorb how much his out put is.
    Some of those here use disposable in the day time but cloth at nite .
    Some time's some put boosters in the disposables to help boost what is needed .
    But the brief may gap on some disposables in the croch area with boosters .

There are some that dubble up you take one disposable put it on then slit the cover then put another on over top.
    But still prone to side leaks alway point appendage down towards feet .
    Pointing up more leaks out top by waist .

I hope this helps you.

We need to know is it just disposable's your going to use.

I am around the same size. Here is what I do. I use two baby cloth diapers as stuffers in a medium disposable. That cuts down a lot on flooding leaks. They seem to hold more than disposable boosters. On top of that to catch side sleeping leaks I wear the cloth snap diaper from Rearz. It holds 5 cups in size small. It also has 10 double rows of snaps so the size is very adjustable. It even has an overlap row so that is like another row too. If wearing it alone I could use the overlap row if I wanted it too snug to use as a pull-up, but with the diapers inside I do not overlap it. So then i just need to cover that with a plastic pants that are 7 mil and I am good all night long. I use cheap disposables that are rated at 15 oz but with the stuffers I get them up to about 2 pounds plus a third pound for the stuffers. So if 3 pounds is 5 cups then I would have 10 cups total. I heard Rearz had a 9 cup but I have only seen a 7 cup and it was a large from them so far.

My! So delightfully well padded in all that cloth and plastic. The ultimate diaper.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I would prefer to use disposables simply due to the convenience. Also, my son is bowel incontinent, and his bowel movements are very soft (not formed at all), and I really don't want to have to deal with cleaning that mess out of a cloth diaper.

When I use booster pads in disposables, it usually makes the problem worse...they leak badly out the crotch, and most of the diaper is unused.

So, I guess the first step in my game plan is to see if any of the samples I have on the way work. However, I'm not holding my breath.

BUT, I never thought of combining disposable and plastic at the same time. At first, I didn't think it would work for us due to the huge poo mess in the cloth diaper issue. But, then I got to thinking...what if the inner layer was something like a large disposable contoured booster pad? It might contain the mess, but would allow urine to pass through onto the cloth. Or even one of those "dry wipes" disposable washcloths? Essentially creating my own disposable diaper liner because the baby ones aren't big enough. Does this have possibilities? I guess that would be going almost completely cloth.

IF I decide to try cloth or to put cloth over one of our leaky disposable combos, one of my concerns is getting an appropriate diaper cover that fits. I would prefer something that closes in the front instead of pulls up. I will be changing my son in his bed lying down. He is profoundly retarded, so he doesn't understand that lying still would really help. So, if I go completely cloth, I'm afraid with his soft stools and pull up plastic pants that we'd get poo everywhere. Plus, it would be much easier not to have to work the pants down his legs whether just cloth or over disposables. One concern is that he has relatively skinny legs...I think around 16"-18", but I'll have to get a more accurate measurement. Any ideas of where I could get a diaper wrap cover that might fit his waist and skinny legs, but be able to cover a large amount of diaper padding/stuffing? Or does anyone know of someone who custom makes them like you can find for baby diapers?