Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No indictment in the Eric Garner case.

Default No indictment in the Eric Garner case.

Here we go again! The people in NYC are up in arms over the fact the NYC
    policeman wasn't indicted. The left is really flying off the handle over this case.
    It'll be curious to see if any demostrations happen tonight.

I'm getting tired of hearing about this. Yes, police often think themselves as being above the law. This nation will eventually be in a police state.

The thing that angers me about these situations is that these people are usually minorities. The ones that are the only ones to make headlines. The criminals often instigate the events.

Police are known to violate people's rights. They have violated mine. What people don't know Is that, by law, are allowed to videotape the police officers. They are public servants and if they tell you to turn the camera off, you can tell them no.

The way everything is going these days, the state of the country will be changing. All of the laws placed to protect us against our own government will be a thing of the past. As soon as one amendment goes down, you can kiss them all goodbye.

This all comes down to gun control. I do not own a gun, and I probably won't. When our right to bear arms is gone, we will no longer be a country of the people.

Do we have the information presented to the grand jury in this case like we do the Brown case in Ferguson?

This case is much more questionable to me than the Ferguson case. Police use of the choke hold is supposed to be illegal, yet there is direct evidence of it being used. Additionally, three officers were on one man who was choked to death (a much slower situation than firing a handgun in defense against someone charging you).

I'm not going to demonstrate, but I will come out and say that this case leaves me with many more questions than the Brown case.

Look, I'm not defending the cops in the Ferguson case, or this recent case, but if people would stop committing felony's in the first place, then the cops would have no reason to even confront them and have it end up like this at all. So instead of people rioting about "police brutality" take a moment to think about the people who got killed. THEY COMMITTED CRIMES AND THEN PROCEEDED TO RESIST ARREST. If they would have just cooperated with the police officers, this shit would never happen, or even better, DON'T COMMIT THE CRIME IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I'm not saying the police officers are right, I do believe it's excessive force, BUT THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR POLICE INVOLVEMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE IF PEOPLE STOPPED COMMITTING CRIMES. I've said my peace. Good day.

Garner was a 400 pound career criminal with over 30 convictions dating back to when he was 16. At the time of his interaction with these officers he had charges pending from another arrest in March 2014 for the exact same thing he was doing when he was approached by undercover officers. He then proceeded to refuse to allow the officers to execute their lawful arrest.

After his death, the New York coroner determined that he had serious pre-existing medical conditions that directly contributed to his death. The conditions were: obesity, asthma and cardiovascular disease, he died of a heart attack on the way to the hospital. Not of asphyxiation on the side of the road. The autopsy also determined that there were no injuries to his windpipe or neck bones. The use of a choke hold is not illegal, it is simply against NYPD protocol.

It's no wonder the grand jury didn't return an indictment.

From my point of view as a developmentally-disabled adult, I saw this verdict in favor of the cop no surprise. Several months ago in a high school, an African-American teenaged girl with Autism had an entire can of "mace" sprayed in her face by a "white" school security guard to "discipline her" for having a cognitive/sensory "meltdown" in her special-education class.

This also happens to "white" teenagers with Autism too.

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    Look, I'm not defending the cops in the Ferguson case, or this recent case, but if people would stop committing felony's in the first place, then the cops would have no reason to even confront them and have it end up like this at all. So instead of people rioting about "police brutality" take a moment to think about the people who got killed. THEY COMMITTED CRIMES AND THEN PROCEEDED TO RESIST ARREST. If they would have just cooperated with the police officers, this shit would never happen, or even better, DON'T COMMIT THE CRIME IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I'm not saying the police officers are right, I do believe it's excessive force, BUT THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR POLICE INVOLVEMENT IN THE FIRST PLACE IF PEOPLE STOPPED COMMITTING CRIMES. I've said my peace. Good day.
    Is selling loose cigarettes a felony? Have you watched how Mr. Garner died?

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeybravo View Post
    Is selling loose cigarettes a felony? Have you watched how Mr. Garner died?
    Yes, actually, it is a felony, it's against the law, something to do with taxes.

Like I said, I am not defending the cops, the dude shouldn't have been killed. It's not right and i think the cops should be punished in some way, but at the same time, if he had never done anything wrong in the first place, this never would have happened, and you can't deny that fact.

There are some demonstrations going on in NYC at the moment, it all seems peaceful currently. This is again highly unusual activity for a grand jury. I think I read out of 2k cases brought to grand jury a year, only 10 or 11 or something end with no indictment. So this is just very unusual, and it becomes really suspicious at this point.

This isn't even a completely white/black issue either. Cops have a long, long, list of random and unnecessary (and sometimes downright cruel) killings of people of all colours. They killed a sleeping seven year old child, an unarmed man holding a baby. And so on. This list is just in recent years - when people catch them on film with their cell phones or stuff like this happens to make local or national media.

It's a difficult thing to talk about. I am angered by this. But at the same time, I was good friends with two cops back in the US. I really appreciated them and their work. As with races, obviously we cannot judge 'all cops' as bad people or good people. I'm really wondering if something is wrong with perhaps their training methods, or their protocol though.

I saw the video and I don't think this guy deserved a chokehold in any way. He didn't appear to be fighting back or reaching for a weapon. He held his (empty) hands up to the sky. That didn't look really bad in my opinion. Not, he needs a chokehold and five guys to jump on top of him, bad. I get that the dude had a history of crime, but he wasn't a mafia leader, he was selling illegal cigs on the street or something. Stuff happens. People get involved in crime.

What I really wish was that our society was the kind of society where people didn't have to turn to crime in order to survive and eat. I wish we took care of our own. I wish everyone got the same education. I wish everyone got the same equal treatment, and the same opportunities for jobs. I wish people hooked on drugs weren't thrown into prison cells but given rehab. I wish we had a better mental health system instead of leaving many mentally ill people homeless on the streets.

In that kind of society, there'd still be problems, sure, but not the level of problems I see right now. This is another case where it's about bigger issues.

Have you ever heard people fighting over something really dumb? Like that someone left the dishes unwashed? And they argue about the dishes for like an hour until finally the truth comes out, the bigger issue, and it's like that they don't feel appreciated or they feel that the other person isn't carrying their weight around the house? This is that, but the household is America, and the bigger issue is inequality in our society.

Quote Originally Posted by AddyShadows View Post
    Yes, actually, it is a felony, it's against the law, something to do with taxes.

Like I said, I am not defending the cops, the dude shouldn't have been killed. It's not right and i think the cops should be punished in some way, but at the same time, if he had never done anything wrong in the first place, this never would have happened, and you can't deny that fact.
    How do you know he did anything wrong? I've been reading that he was allegedly was selling "loosies" (no physical evidence)

I'm starting to get mad, but I'm managing to post this not in caps yet, but it's simply not right to choke someone to death as they beg for air, and then say "welp, they should not have done anything wrong, ever." They are not going to do anything to the cop, they just proved that with no indictment. The thing this drives home for me, is that police body cameras will not make us safer, or give greater accountability.

Edit: I can't the felony element, please post a link. Everything I find shows it should be a simple citation.