Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barefooting/Natural Lifestyle

Default Barefooting/Natural Lifestyle

Aside from my ABDL lifestyle I lead a pretty natural life. I only use natural products on my body (Dr Bronners, coconut oil, essential oils, etc..). I have even made my own toothpaste and deodorant before (absolutely loved the deodorant, I plan to make it again soon). Also for the past few months (3ish) I've been bare footing which is pretty normal for people in my community, i only wear shoes if I go party or go to work wnd the former rarely happens so the latter usually is the only time I wear shoes. Do any of you guys lead all natural lifestyles? Are interested in beginning?

I've been barefoot jogging a few times. It's great on grass but I don't recommend it on asphalt as you get sore feet. You HAVE to run properly and land on the balls of your feet though, if you heel-strike you end in agonising shin pain. I work in a lab so have to wear shoes there.

I started wearing Minimus sneakers.
    And now wear Vibram Five Fingers(barefoot shoes). I can't wear thick sole footwear anymore.

Yeah, I got into minimal footwear and barefoot running about five years ago. I love it! I don't think it's a good idea for everyone, but if you have the right kind of feet, and are generally healthy, I think it can be very beneficial. I think that feeling more of what you walk on can do a lot to change your perception. It is extremely important to move in that direction very gradually. You have to allow the muscles and tendons in your feet and legs enough time to adapt to new movements and stresses. I made some very thin huarache tire sandals that I wear a lot. Of course running absolutely requires a mid-foot strike for this to work. After about a year, I found that I was getting some heel pain because I was still heel striking while walking. I was eventually able to transition to a midfoot strike while walking. It was awkward at first, but now feels completely natural.

I do have to wear shoes pretty often, but I always try to find something with out a raised heel. Preferably I like to also have thin flexible soles, no arch support and a wide flexible toe box.

My feet have adapted well. They're already pretty hard and durable. I did ease into it but now I am completely full blown barefoot along with my healthy lifestyle.

That's awesome! I'm a little jealous that you get to live somewhere with enough cultural acceptance and warm enough weather. I hope it continues to go well for ya

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    That's awesome! I'm a little jealous that you get to live somewhere with enough cultural acceptance and warm enough weather. I hope it continues to go well for ya
    I don't exactly live in warm weather, I live in Northern California. It's not very warm up here. But you adjust and barefooting in the rain is the best. And regardless of what mom used to tell me walking barefoot outside does not make me more susceptible to catching a cold.

I agree with it not having to be warm. That's why I said warm enough. As long as its not snowing you'll be fine. You're body will compensate by increasing blood flow to the feet.

A few years ago, I did have an incident with running in the snow while wearing sandals. The sandal on my right foot broke. I took it off and left that foot bare for probably about 15 minutes until I got to a good spot to stop and fix it. I fixed the sandal, put it back on and continued the run. When I was home that night, all the skin on my right foot, blistered up and fell off. It was very painful and took 3-4 weeks to heal. My left foot which had a sandal the whole time was fine.

All i'm saying, is you should be careful if its below freezing and wet or snowy. I have had pretty good results even just wearing wool socks, with sandals, or by themselves. They will do a lot to help prevent frost bite.

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    I agree with it not having to be warm. That's why I said warm enough. As long as its not snowing you'll be fine. You're body will compensate by increasing blood flow to the feet.

A few years ago, I did have an incident with running in the snow while wearing sandals. The sandal on my right foot broke. I took it off and left that foot bare for probably about 15 minutes until I got to a good spot to stop and fix it. I fixed the sandal, put it back on and continued the run. When I was home that night, all the skin on my right foot, blistered up and fell off. It was very painful and took 3-4 weeks to heal. My left foot which had a sandal the whole time was fine.

All i'm saying, is you should be careful if its below freezing and wet or snowy. I have had pretty good results even just wearing wool socks, with sandals, or by themselves. They will do a lot to help prevent frost bite.
    Thanks so much for the advice. I definitely do put on socks and sandals if it's too cold.

I've actually been very interested in living this way, but my community is pretty strict on it's no shirt no shoes no service policy. So walking around barefoot is fine, but I can't walk into any stores that way. I used to walk around barefoot all the time as a kid. Now that I've become an adult and have to wear shoes for just about everything, I find that my feet have become much softer (and not in a good way) and more pale. Doesn't seem natural at all to me. I used to be able to walk on jagged black rocks on a triple digit day no problem. Now my feet ache just thinking of burning asphalt. Maybe it is time to get back into airing out these bad boys.