Thread: Severe urinary pain

Default Severe urinary pain

Hi all its me again
    I regularly experience a situation however its happened both last night and tonight and has been absolutely unbearable.
    the way it generally goes perhaps once or twice a month is as follows
    ill go to the bathroom to urinate and instead of it being a brief ten second affair it is instead a half hour ordeal leaving me almost crying in pain where maybe half of my bladder will empty followed by extreme discomfort as the rest of my bladder will slowly empty a few drops at a time each feeling as if its a red hot nail passing through my urethra
    it generally takes a mix of straining and relaxing to empty my bladder to the point where Im comfortable enough to leave the bathroom however its never a case of 100% comfort most of the time when this happens I still feel the intense need to urinate and am basically limping due to how sore my genitals are. in those cases it boils down to me not caring any more whether I wet my pants as I just want to leave the bathroom and have the pain stop
    I have talked with my urologist about this briefly in the past however nothing has been found wrong with my prostate urethra or bladder via cystoscopy i am not seeing my urologist again until my urodynamic testing which is still several months away.
    I do have an appointment with my regular doctor on the 8th where I intend to bring this up among a number of other things.
    I must emphasize this is most likely not an infection after experiencing it several times in the past I've seen doctors and been tested and each time it has come back negative for infection with all levels normal
    I drink 3 litres of water each day as well for reference
    once more this is not a very common occurrence instead happening only every few weeks on average its just that when it does happen it is absolute hell
    I strongly apologize for the wall of text this is partly just me venting however if anyone here has experienced anything like this in the past or has any advice I would very much appreciate your posts.
    If anyone wants anymore information on my current state ive made several other posts on this forum and welcome any replies to them as well

- - - Updated - - -

(an important addendum when this happens it is not unheard of for me to experience pain in my lower abdomen above my genitals which is believe is coming from my bladder however I have at no point experienced back painwhile im typing this i may as well also mention that last week I experienced a day where it felt like a sword was being thrust through my lower abdomen urination was painful and it was very painful to so much as touch my lower abdomen however that seems to have been an isolated event. ill also add that I do not delay using the bathroom in lieu of holding it for long periods of time as simply put I cannot when i get the urge to go i do not usually have more than a few minutes unless its a case where im suffering an accident which usually involves significantly less warning than usual.)

I don't know what you've got but I certainly sympathize. I had a hellishly acute case of prostatitis that just about ruined me, and our symptoms were similar. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It's perplexing that you've been scoped out and had what would be the usual causes ruled out (chronic prostatitis would have been a guess if you hadn't been checked out). All I can advise is not to let it go. It's not normal and it's horrific, so keep at it. If one doctor doesn't work it out, get a referral to someone who can. It may be one of those things that's very difficult to find unless it's actively making you miserable.

Reminds me of one time I woke up needing to go really bad. I had a similar experience and such abdominal pain I could not make it back to bed. I crashed on the carpet in the hall 2-3 hours until I could walk normally again. I just thought it was from holding in my sleep. I'm glad I do not do that anymore. Waking up wet is much more comfortable.

I agree with Trevor. Your problem sounds like a serious medical issue that must be successfully diagnosed. If need be, find anothe urologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Inconinmiss View Post
    I agree with Trevor. Your problem sounds like a serious medical issue that must be successfully diagnosed. If need be, find anothe urologist.
    It is a rahter infrequent problem its jsut that when it happens its hellish
    my urologist has already done a prostate exam cystoscopy and a number of blood and urine tests im not seeing him again until my urodynamics which is not for some time due to a waiting list
    he is a very good urologist its just that nothing has been found yet if i were to see another urologist id go onto another waiting list and nothing useful would happen as they are already doing all they can
    as I said i will be seeing my regular doctor in 4 days and I will bring up the pain to him
    as far as I know its nothing serious no tests ive had in the past have shown anything abnormal

I might be able to add some insight. I have severe OAB, chronic prostatitis and occasional kidney stones. The stones are small, but when they pass, it is intense pain like you describe. For me it seems to always happen at night. I wake up and find myself urinating with a sharp burning pain with on-again-off-again dribbling into my diaper. Then it goes away and I might not have it again for months. My prostatitis pain is usually a dull ache in the groin and is unrelated to urination.

I've had a CT scan during these episodes and the results showed I had small stones in the ureters AND I've also had blood tests done and it was not a UTI. Kidney stones can cause pain on either side of the abdomen because the ureters wrap around from the kidneys and connect to the bladder. It couldn't hurt to bring this possibility up to your doctor. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    I might be able to add some insight. I have severe OAB, chronic prostatitis and occasional kidney stones. The stones are small, but when they pass, it is intense pain like you describe. For me it seems to always happen at night. I wake up and find myself urinating with a sharp burning pain with on-again-off-again dribbling into my diaper. Then it goes away and I might not have it again for months. My prostatitis pain is usually a dull ache in the groin and is unrelated to urination.

I've had a CT scan during these episodes and the results showed I had small stones in the ureters AND I've also had blood tests done and it was not a UTI. Kidney stones can cause pain on either side of the abdomen because the ureters wrap around from the kidneys and connect to the bladder. It couldn't hurt to bring this possibility up to your doctor. Best of luck.
    that actually is possible i mainly get the pain at night however it is very infrequent and usually only lasts for a single night so diagnosis could be difficult recently I had it for 2 or 3 nights with some pain during the day
    I will bring it up to my doctor
    thank you very much for the advice if anyone else has anything to contribute feel free to