Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Review: Well Beginnings Girls' Training Pants (My Little Pony Pull-Ups!)

Default Diaper Review: Well Beginnings Girls' Training Pants (My Little Pony Pull-Ups!)

Well Beginnings is the Walgreens generic brand of diapers, training pants, and other baby supplies. These are the girls' training pants and are My Little Pony-themed.

This is the review of the 4T-5T size. These are also available in 2T-3T size and 3T-4T size, each with unique prints.

Appearance, Size, and Features

The Well Beginnings Girls' Training Pants are primarily white but are decorated from front to back with various Generation 4 My Little Pony characters. Prominently featured on the front of each diaper is Rainbow Dash. The diapers have a wetness indicator in the form of Rainbow Dash's cutie mark, a cloud with lightning bolts sticking out. These diapers have full standing leak guards. They also feature easy-open sides similar to Huggies Pull-Ups - the sides can be detached for easy diaper changes.

Front and back of folded diapers

Three of the diapers were stacked, pressed down with a heavy object (a PS3), and measured to give an average height. The stack was measured at approximately 2.9cm, giving an average thickness of about 1.0cm.

Three diapers stacked

As mentioned earlier, these training pants have easy-open sides, similar to Pull-Ups. These are not really made for using to put on the diapers, but are great for changing out of them. The sides seem fairly sturdy, although I did accidentally rip them at one point.

The easy-open sides

I laid out the diaper and measured its dimensions. These are organized below for simplicity:
    Length: 51 cm
    Width at center: 11.5 cm between the elastics, 16.5 cm from edge-to-edge
    Width at front/back: 17.5 cm
    Width at front wings: 23 cm
    Width at back wings (unstretched): 33.5 cm

Front and back of unfolded diapers

Performance and Fit

In order to measure the capacity of the diaper, I wore it and poured water down the front 100 mL at a time followed by 30 seconds of sitting accompanying each pour, recording any observations I made and repeating. I concluded the test when the diaper leaked.

At around 300mL, a couple of drops escaped when I poured the water in, but I did not leak when I sat down. The wetness indicator was also mostly gone at this stage. The slight leakage also occurred at 400mL. At 500mL, I leaked significantly when moving around but did not leak when sitting down. I concluded the test regardless.

I believe there to be problems with the method by which the water was poured into the diaper. Pouring the water into the front of the pull-up caused the pull-up to swell up and absorb water in the front rather than in the bottom, despite my attempts to prevent this. I cannot confidently conclude that the actual maximum is between 300 and 500mL, as the diaper did not wick the water enough to simulate wetting. I plan to retry this test if I am able to create a better capacity test, preferably one including a funnel and surgical tubing for flow control and placement (idea courtesy of awesome people in ADISC IRC). I believe the diaper may in fact hold more than 500mL, as it did not leak when sitting down even then.

When refolded and measured, the diaper had swollen to about 5.9cm, around 6 times the thickness of the dry diaper. This is much more swelling than the average training pant but may be attributed to the water delivery method.

Dry diaper next to full diaper after capacity test

My waist size is around 28 inches, but this is well above the approximate max size supported by these diapers. Although normal Pull-Ups fit acceptably, if a bit small (they are for toddlers after all), these diapers were significantly smaller. This is supported by another person's account who happens to be of similar size to me. I can wear these, but they barely cover my butt.

To test the diaper out in a real-life scenario, no matter how implausible expecting baby diapers to be practical is, I wore the diaper for a few hours between 11:30am and 4pm. As I always do and advise others to do, I wet the diaper often and in small quantities. I believe that the pull-up was about at capacity when I changed out of it - any more and I would have worried about leaks. One of the sides of the diaper unfortunately ripped towards the end of this time, although I'm pretty sure that was because of something I did and not because the sides were weak.

Obviously the diaper was discreet, as any baby diapers are. Not really any worries about movement, although sudden large movements might tear the sides. This is really a play diaper and not a practical use diaper, so I won't talk much more about this.

Pricing and Final Thoughts

I obtained these diapers from Walgreens, where they are available in Jumbo packs of 19 for $9.49 ($0.50/diaper) and in larger packs with regionally variant pricing. These are not available anywhere else except through resellers.

I'd recommend these to very small people who like My Little Pony. They are definitely for play, not performance. I personally really enjoy them and find their cloth-like cover to be one of the best around in terms of cloth backings - if only they had bigger sizes... Be warned that these are smaller than Huggies Pull-Ups, unfortunately. The sides are sturdy and stretch, but that doesn't mean most people can fit.

I use these all the time and they are one of the best training pants I have used. I can only think of maybe a couple times that theses leaked, and that may have been caused by me wetting too fast. The sides are one of the best part, they can take a beating and not tear away from the actual diaper, unlike Huggies Pull-Ups I am always impressed how well these perform.
    Thanks for doing a review of these.
    What one do you think you will do next?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    I use these all the time and they are one of the best training pants I have used. I can only think of maybe a couple times that theses leaked, and that may have been caused by me wetting too fast. The sides are one of the best part, they can take a beating and not tear away from the actual diaper, unlike Huggies Pull-Ups I am always impressed how well these perform.
    Thanks for doing a review of these.
    What one do you think you will do next?
    The Well Beginnings diapers are next since I picked up a pack while I was at the store. After that, it will depend on if I have any money not consumed by bills/staying alive, which seems unlikely. Also if I get review diapers from whatever companies. I also have five adult diaper reviews waiting to be published in the articles section (NorthShore AirSupreme (Small), NorthShore Supreme (Medium), NorthShore Premium Youth, MoliCare Soft Super (Small), and Wellness Superio (I believe Medium)). Hopefully the 8 reviews I've done/am doing can keep you occupied until I can afford to do more!

Quote Originally Posted by KatelynG
    (review)
    Fun stuff! I'm enjoying your baby diaper review series, KatelynG. I had it in mind to do this a while back and got discouraged when it was decided that these would not be accepted as articles. I can sort of understand why, though.

Anyway, to the topic: I picked up a pack of these some time back and did enjoy them even though, on my big frame, they weren't particularly functional. They were fun. I'm not a brony, but I really like the MLP prints. It would be great to see them on something a bit larger, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Fun stuff! I'm enjoying your baby diaper review series, KatelynG. I had it in mind to do this a while back and got discouraged when it was decided that these would not be accepted as articles. I can sort of understand why, though.

Anyway, to the topic: I picked up a pack of these some time back and did enjoy them even though, on my big frame, they weren't particularly functional. They were fun. I'm not a brony, but I really like the MLP prints. It would be great to see them on something a bit larger, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for that.
    Thanks! I'm still hoping a "Baby Diaper Review" article could become a thing (where all baby diaper reviews are posted in one thread/article), but I'm not holding my breath. The prints on these are absolutely amazing, honestly. I really like them as play diapers just because of the prints. Hoping to keep doing lots more reviews in the future!
    Last edited by KatelynG; 29-Nov-2014 at 22:20. Reason: I can't grammar

Quote Originally Posted by KatelynG View Post
    Thanks! I'm still hoping a "Baby Diaper Review" article could become a thing (where all baby diaper reviews are posted in one thread/article), but I'm not holding my breath. The prints on these are absolutely amazing, honestly. I really like them as play diapers just because of the prints. Hoping to keep doing lots more reviews in the future!
    One challenge with an all-encompassing baby diaper article would be the rate at which the diapers evolve. Unlike so many adult diapers, baby diapers are in a constant state of flux -- not just the prints, but more fundamental things about their construction as well.

This is one of those things where a "diaper wiki" would probably be best. You want to be able to update it easily. The current article system is great for a lot of things, but dealing with moving targets isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    One challenge with an all-encompassing baby diaper article would be the rate at which the diapers evolve. Unlike so many adult diapers, baby diapers are in a constant state of flux -- not just the prints, but more fundamental things about their construction as well.

This is one of those things where a "diaper wiki" would probably be best. You want to be able to update it easily. The current article system is great for a lot of things, but dealing with moving targets isn't one of them.
    I think the easiest thing to do would be to mark each article visibly with the date of the diaper rather than just including the purchase date in the article. That way we end up with a big thread of lots of baby diapers, preferably with a starting post that acts as a link-hub.

Awesome review, indeed. As someone who still enjoys "playing" with kid diapers, these types of reviews are helpful. Yes, I saw the recent thread here about "why do people bother trying to squeeze into baby diapers..." I didn't respond because my essay would have been a short book. But let's just say there obviously are many of us who do like to play with them, even if we don't fit them. They can either be extended using methods previously posted OR used as "stuffers." With the largest size Pull-Ups, I can also put them inside my underwear and tape them, making them a sort of "accident / light wetting" pad. And yes it has come in handy for me in many situations.

Anyway, back on topic to this review. I wanted to offer you some information. I am a male but when I do buy Pull-Ups of any brand, it's always the girl ones. I like girl stuff. My inner child (my "little") is a girl. So, I've bought various kinds of girls' pull-ups and done some research and tests of my own on them. The reason why pouring water in from the front doesn't work is a combination of science and physics. Unlike baby diapers that are unisex with an even amount of super absorbent padding, the "for girls" and "for boys" pull-ups actually do have specialized areas where the AGM (absorbent gelling material) is more concentrated in a certain area. For girls, that's of course in the middle. Yes, there is still some AGM up front, to catch any excess from the middle once it's at capacity -- but the smaller amount of AGM up front means once the gels "pop" -- there isn't enough time for the excess liquid to flow down the diaper and reach the more concentrated AGM landing area -- therefore it leaks out the sides up front. "Pointing" the water down towards that middle area will indeed work better for you.

Okay, this will make me look a bit crazy but it relates to this, so bear with me. Back around 2000-2001, I would conduct various tests on new and "vintage" baby diapers alike. I had a... life size toddler girl doll that was the average build of a 3 year old. She fit into size 5/6 diapers and 3T-4T/4T-5T pull-ups perfectly. Now, the crazy part: I "rigged" her up so that she would "pee" anatomically correct. I'd pour let's say 200 ml through an opening in her mouth and through the magic of plastic tubing and other easy to find supplies -- it came out in the correct area. SADLY, I no longer have this doll so I cannot keep doing my tests in such an accurate way. But maybe someday when I win the lottery I can re-build such a thing.

Back on topic, again... I suffer from insomnia on occasion so of course when you can't sleep, you get bored. I was looking up information on diapers and pull-ups when I came across some Mexican based web-site. It was ALL about baby diapers and how they are made. Run by some guy who owned various diaper manufacturing companies. I no longer have the URL but I'm sure it still exists. Anyway, this company made "store brand" baby diapers for various retail stores. And on the site it listed very specific product details. For the general pull-ups they made in the 4T-5T size, it listed the approximate fluid capacity. They were rated between 12-14 oz (354-414 mL), depending on the "brand." This isn't too far off from some of my findings. Ironically, the actual Huggies name brand Pull-Ups tend to hold less, about 10 oz (296 mL). But that Well Beginnings pull-up you tested -- 354 mL is 12 ounces. I'd bet with proper testing technique, you could get closer to 354 or even 400 mL with that. It does make sense, though, that a pull-up would hold considerably less than a full fledged diaper. They are -- supposed to be for potty training, after all.

I'm up in Canada but a friend sent me some of these in a "Care-Package" for my Birthday sometime a go.

My biggest issue, is the sides. They are terrible. If you are not extremely careful, the velcro strip/tab will get stuck to the opposite side of the diaper and be torn off, rendering the diaper basically useless.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowBlitz View Post
    I'm up in Canada but a friend sent me some of these in a "Care-Package" for my Birthday sometime a go.

My biggest issue, is the sides. They are terrible. If you are not extremely careful, the velcro strip/tab will get stuck to the opposite side of the diaper and be torn off, rendering the diaper basically useless.
    Really? I haven't noticed that at all! The sides actually seem quite sturdy to me, except for the one rip in the documented daytime test.

Quote Originally Posted by SD79 View Post
    lotsa texts and stuffs
    If I can obtain some surgical tubing, I'll be setting a similar system up so the water for the test goes into the correct area of the diaper/pullup at a good flow rate. Just need to get some and don't really have any extra cash at the moment. Threw it up on the ol' Amazon Wishlist just in case but I'll see when I can spare $5 and probably will re-review these then.