Thread: Calling all bicyclists

Default Calling all bicyclists

Arf! Hi everyone! I've been a passionate cyclist all my life and would love to meet others here who like to ride. If you're a cyclist and a DL and want to ride padded but want some advice I might be able to help.
    Here's a pic of my rig, steel stallion, a '96 Trek 820.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SteelPony820.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	22470

Quote Originally Posted by fixedpuppy View Post
    Arf! Hi everyone! I've been a passionate cyclist all my life and would love to meet others here who like to ride. If you're a cyclist and a DL and want to ride padded but want some advice I might be able to help.
    Here's a pic of my rig, steel stallion, a '96 Trek 820.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SteelPony820.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	22470
    I enjoy riding as well, a Trek 7.5 if I recall correctly. It's a hybred and works well. It has the frame of a mountain bike with a three ring drive, but the skinny tires of a road bike, so it's quick. It has a carbon fork and reduced wheel spokes. Needless to say, I like the bike. I also have a Trek 1200 road bike, one of the older ones which was a descent quality.

I live in central Virginia along the James River, and our bike trail, a converted rail line, runs through some rocky cliffs. It's all woods and the line runs along a a creek. It's very scenic and there's a trestle bridge, a waterfalls, and an old train tunnel. I love going out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I live in central Virginia along the James River, and our bike trail, a converted rail line, runs through some rocky cliffs. It's all woods and the line runs along a a creek. It's very scenic and there's a trestle bridge, a waterfalls, and an old train tunnel. I love going out there.
    It sounds so pretty! I'd love to ride there. There is a park way running through our county called the Green Belt. It's rough (Ruff!, lol) but so wonderful to ride. Commuters ride to work on it, shoppers use it to get to stores and back home again, art lovers travel it from park fairs to museums and crazies like me use it to ride 40 miles without seeing a single car.

It sounds so pretty! I'd love to ride there. There is a park way running through our county called the Green Belt. It's rough (Ruff!, lol) but so wonderful to ride. Commuters ride to work on it, shoppers use it to get to stores and back home again, art lovers travel it from park fairs to museums and crazies like me use it to ride 40 miles without seeing a single car.
    The park way sounds nice. I haven't ridden 40 miles since I was younger. If I ride the entire extent of our trail which I sometimes do, it's 15 miles. That's usually a pretty good workout for me. When my son comes to visit, he'll often bring his bike and we'll ride the whole trail. There's an island in the middle of the James River and the trail goes down the center of the island. The island is narrow but long, and we arrive in the next county at the other side of a bridge. Then we turn around and ride back.

Hmm... my basement trainer is less than 6ft away, there are three other bikes within 20 ft, including my racing machine. Two mountain bikes out in the garage, one a frankenbike that gets most of my mileage on the trails, the other Mrs. Maxx's MTB. I'm leaving out pictures, makes and models because my bikes are too easily identifiable (unique to me and far from showroom stock..)

My OCD shows up in my riding. I hardly consider it worthwhile going out for less than a couple of hours. Outside, that's 30+ miles depending on the bike, route and riding surface. At the moment, our extensive rails-to-trails system is too icy and dangerous, and the roads full of manic shoppers working on too little sleep, so today will be an indoor ride. Plenty of football for entertainment during an otherwise deadly boring session.

If I'm going to change, shower and do laundry, the ride better take longer than the set up and breakdown. Unless I'm using one for transportation on errands.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Hmm... my basement trainer is less than 6ft away, there are three other bikes within 20 ft, including my racing machine. Two mountain bikes out in the garage, one a frankenbike that gets most of my mileage on the trails, the other Mrs. Maxx's MTB. I'm leaving out pictures, makes and models because my bikes are too easily identifiable (unique to me and far from showroom stock..)
    Sounds like an awesome arsenal What's your frankenbike like?
    P.S. I like your avatar; yay for Max Headroom! *insert distorted stutter*

Sounds like an awesome arsenal What's your frankenbike like?
    P.S. I like your avatar; yay for Max Headroom! *insert distorted stutter*
    New lightweight aluminum compact MTB frame, cobbled together with parts, components, and accessories from my mtbs of the previous 20 years after I broke the frame on its predecessor. Its not the highest of tech, but its functional. As I said, no pics, as its look is unique enough that any cyclist living near me would recognize it.

I feel some kinship there since the family fleet is currently 10 bikes including the obligatory tandem, my commuter and several cyclocross bikes because we're near Portland. We do a respectable annual mileage since there are plenty of places to ride and I commute year round.

I love riding my bike and there are tons of bike paths and huge lanes where I live, makes it super convenient to ride. I only have a cheap hybrid but thats all I need for getting around.