Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Onesies, Now Colouring Books?

Wink First Onesies, Now Colouring Books?

So the adult onesie has gone from fashion trend to mainstream in the last few years, and judging by the window displays of sleepwear I saw at the mall this week it's not going away yet...

Are colouring-in books for adults the next thing to jump from the nursery to adult recreation time?

According to breakfast telly, YES.

Allegedly adult colouring books are outselling cook books in France, and the trend is due to pop up in the UK soon...

(incidentally I'm not sure how big cookbooks are in France, I thought the French were supposed to be too secure in their food culture to need celeb-chiefs to tell them how to boil un oeuf?")

I can see colouring-in books catching on for adults. It's fun; it's relaxing; it's a way of expressing artistic creativity that isn't as intimidating as, say, still life drawing; at the end you have a pretty picture that you helped to make - and that's very satisfying.

It's also good antidote for you daily grind. So many people work in jobs where they don't get to be creative; they don't get to see the outcome of their work because they're a small part of a big system, or the work they do is so abstract, or on such long time frames; they need a chance to sit and be peaceful.

If it does catch on, it makes me wonder how far the blurring of child vs. adult entertainments might go? What will be the next thing for twenty-somethings copied from toddlers?

Obviously I don't expect sexual ABDLism to ever become mainstream, but does anyone think that low key regression in the form of "Little time" might? Put on your onesie, eat comfort food (cupcakes!), watch cartoons and do colouring in? How's that for a mid-week night in?

And doesn't it annoy you just a little bit? Being an adult and acting like a kid is supposed to be our thing! :p

It's a bit annoying but all I can think right now is YES.

I wouldn't exactly call it a shock that colouring books are outselling cooking books in france. They're typically spending much more for their children while trusting on their own skills on how to cook. And especially any family recipe that bas been passed down generations.

However, that does not mean that no mother would not like to draw with their children. Since their fathers are anyway infamous for stealing and playing with their lego all of a sudden again.
    Although I'd probably try to push my child into drawing by themselves much more, or altering those drafts, while colouring it later.

Well, who knows. For a normal person this would most certainly be very strange. But so are onesies, so have been binkies in the 90's (and all of a sudden mid 2000, while vanshing half a year later for tons of ribbons on our backpacks), coloured knee-socks, big neon coloured earmuffs and so on.

Since most typical magacines are out, right? And friendship books too anyway... who knows. Perhaps some might like the idea. ;)

Blurring of child vs. adult entertainments - one of the big megatrends of our time. Several years ago, I would never have thought that my mother (nearly 60) would ever play computer games (not smartphone, but computer games, like I did in my teens). I guess a colouring book is the next stage. But why not...

When you go on the tube, many people are playing games on their phones. I'm sure most of the older generation hadn't played computer games before the smartphone age. Not only that, I guess most would have said 10 years ago that anyone over age 20 playing games was a bit weird.

Adults wearing childish themed clothes, with cartoon characters and stuff, also becomes common. And onesies of course - in the UK's shops (online and offline), it sometimes feels like the onesie is the most common kind of nightwear for all ages.

At the same time, real children are having grown up interests and behaviours at ever younger ages. The society is really becoming more uniform in this, 12 year olds and 60 year olds more similar than ever. Blame the media and the corporations

Or is it just that we want what we can't have? Kids want to grow up fast, while adults want to be children again.

When thinking about this, I can actually imagine a world where recreational diaper wearing and some form of AB play doesn't raise an eyebrow (I don't mean public display of these things, but not being ashamed of admitting that we do them at home). Probably not next year or not the next 5 years, but some of these trends can be really fast and powerful.

So regarding the question...

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    ... does anyone think that low key regression in the form of "Little time" might? Put on your onesie, eat comfort food (cupcakes!), watch cartoons and do colouring in? How's that for a mid-week night in?
    I think so. Not only that, I think it's already happening. Perhaps not to be called mainstream yet, but I think there is already some kind of foundation for a possible snowball.

We know how good these things feel and how positive effects they can have on our lives, so it's only a matter of time for other people to discover it, no? So let's go people, play hard and enjoy it while we still have it for ourselves.

I love the coloring book. Personally, I still enjoy coloring, though I can't draw to save my life. The coloring book reminds me of the oil painting sets, where you painted by numbers, with the paints numbered. I can remember when I was about four years old watching my dad do those paintings. He had had a massive heart attack, and in those days, one would stay home for a month or two from work when they survived a heart attack. He did a lot of those paintings, and they bore a resemblance to the coloring book. You used oil paints instead of crayons or colored pencils.

I think that we've seen a big emphasis placed on youth in our culture. It came with my generation, the boomer generation. It's all about who spends the money and that's usually younger people rather than the older. Look at television commercials and who the prime age is that commercials target.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think that we've seen a big emphasis placed on youth in our culture. It came with my generation, the boomer generation. It's all about who spends the money and that's usually younger people rather than the older. Look at television commercials and who the prime age is that commercials target.
    Yes and I sometimes wonder about the mismatch between the youth-focused advertising and the actual spending power. The young spend money, but it's the old(er) who really have money (maybe partly because they don't/didn't spend that much). Wouldn't it be more profitable for the companies (not one particular company, but the business sector as a whole) to focus more on the needs and wants of the older generations? I mean, most of the "cool" young people are actually broke and there is only so much they can spend. Maybe that's the problem with today's developed world economy. But that's for another thread.

However (although there is clearly some relation), I think that the kind of youth that is being glorified by today's society and media is a bit different than the youth related to colouring books, onesies and diapers. I think it's mainly the "cool and powerful" 20-something youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche View Post
    Yes and I sometimes wonder about the mismatch between the youth-focused advertising and the actual spending power. The young spend money, but it's the old(er) who really have money (maybe partly because they don't/didn't spend that much). Wouldn't it be more profitable for the companies (not one particular company, but the business sector as a whole) to focus more on the needs and wants of the older generations? I mean, most of the "cool" young people are actually broke and there is only so much they can spend. Maybe that's the problem with today's developed world economy. But that's for another thread.

However (although there is clearly some relation), I think that the kind of youth that is being glorified by today's society and media is a bit different than the youth related to colouring books, onesies and diapers. I think it's mainly the "cool and powerful" 20-something youth.
    I think maybe you've put your finger on something here:

The kind of "youth cool" image that started with Rock'n'Roll in the 1960s was liberated and angry and joyful and obscene and dangerous - dangerous drinking, dangerous drugs, dangerous sex, scrapping in the street on a protest or a drunken night out, even the music played at a dangerously high volume ;-) That kind of youth ideal was also rather cynical and selfish and self-destructive...

Maybe there is a new kind of youth ideal emerging... since 2007 there's been a pervasive sense of economic and social instability. The middle-class trend-setting 18-30s of today worry about the debts from university tuition fees and how can anyone ever afford to get on the housing ladder - for the 60s generation education, housing and employment were not something to worry about. I've seen my parents marriage end in divorce - so have about half the people in my age group....

Perhaps not surprising that people are seeking out a youth ideal that's a lot closer to being a toddler than a teenager.

A time when personal relationships were less complicated and less over analysed. A time when you could be innocently enthusiastic about things. A time when you were safe. A time when you could be creative without fearing criticism. A time when you weren't overburdened with responsibilities and debts and duties.

Times of stress often prompt escapist responses. Our escape is to cosy nostalgia. Kindergarten Gemütlichkeit.

I don't believe that adults who aren't ABDLs will ever start recreationally wearing diapers though. Certainly using diapers would be crossing a line of intense disgust for most people. I also wonder if people became more conscious of the fact that they were emulating small children they might start to feel uncomfortable, and the swing of the fashion pendulum would bring us back to aspiring to a more traditional pre-1960s "grown up" image.

You're right. Diapers are a different, more extreme level. I agree that "soft" AB things (ex diapers) are more likely to be more widely accepted and practiced. Also many people have diapers associated with their elderly relatives and the final years of their lives, which are often painful and stressful experiences for everybody involved, and therefore it's hard to reassociate diapers with gemutlichkeit.

I also agree with escaping from insecurity about money issues, employment and partnership/family prospects. Someone does extreme sports, someone goes backpacking around the world, and someone else does baby stuff. From the forum it's clear that many of us have had ABDL feelings already since childhood, but I'm sure these young adult problem factors can strenghten these feelings and in some cases help pull the trigger. I'm sure they've played a role in my case to some extent.

Cool, now if only it was acceptable in my family to wear a blanket sleeper and use coloring books lol.

your definitely right about more childish are becoming mainstream I mean if your into clubbing you may go buy a light up pacifier. so people are slowly getting used to "toddlerizing" themselves and it being normal that being said diapers won't become mainstream for least I think a decade and even then there could be issues but there are many things that I think we all hope to become mainstream but all we have to do is wait :/