Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First flight

Default First flight

Today I fly in a plane for the first time. it was amazing up there. I'm awstruck. I can't think of how to discribe it. I'd just get all deep and spiritual if i did. The plane was to small I could not stand up all the way. but it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by scoo View Post
    Today I fly in a plane for the first time. it was amazing up there. I'm awstruck. I can't think of how to discribe it. I'd just get all deep and spiritual if i did. The plane was to small I could not stand up all the way. but it was amazing.
    Welcome to the friendly skies, scoo!

-Marka

yes,

I love flying, in fact so much I switch and became a commercial pilot and single/multi engine flight instructor...

It was the best thing I ever did!

Keep flying!

Flying is brilliant, especially when you get a clear blue sky and can see all the expanses of towns, cities and farmland for miles around. The sensation of takeoff is also one of my favourite feelings in the world - partly because it often means I'm heading off on holiday!

I've only ever flown on commercial jets... and I've done that a lot. Now it's not so fun.

However, I would love to fly in a small plane where there aren't screaming babies everywhere and you can talk to the pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by ampelhamza View Post
    I've only ever flown on commercial jets... and I've done that a lot. Now it's not so fun.

However, I would love to fly in a small plane where there aren't screaming babies everywhere and you can talk to the pilot.
    +1

I've spent... probably into the hundreds of hours on commercial planes. I have been ruined to it.

Although taking kids or a first timer still gets me to smile.

I thought I was dead to flying until the first problem happened. We were coming in for a landing... I think it was Salt Lake City... to catch a connecting flight to somewhere (California? Maybe? I dunno... they all run together). We were on our final approach when the plane very quickly rolled hard left. I don't know the angle... it felt like 20 degrees but I'm going to bet it was 15 or so. Screaming and gasps could be heard throughout the plane. I grabbed the armrest as hard as I could. Plane was quickly righted and the landing proceeded as normal. I bet it was an unexpected cross breeze but I was nervous flying for several months after that.

The only other incident I had which was almost as scary was landing in a thunderstorm. That plane was bouncing around like a bronco at a rodeo.

All that said... there is something still magical about it. The way you can observe the Bernoulli effect at work. The way you can see the weather from above the clouds. The wide open skies above a certain altitude. Even things like the science behind the winglets is fascinating.

I am glad you got the opportunity to experience flying and I truly hope you get to do it more.

I get to experience flight from outside the aircraft. Don't get me started on how much better I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    Sounds like fun. How long were you in the air?
    Two hours. Slept half of it.

I love flying. I took my first flight when I was two, and I've flown somewhere quite often at this point.

Unlike some of you frequent flyers, I haven't tired of it either. I especially love it if I can get a window seat. I must have seen takeoff over a hundred times, but I will never ever get tired of looking out the window as the ground suddenly gets smaller and seeing all the cars, trees and houses like they're little toys.

Not to mention, the exact fluid dynamics of plane wing airflow are an unsolved problem of classical physics, and it's super interesting! If you're ever seated next to a crying kid that's old enough to understand a conversation, try asking them if they know how planes fly and give them the intro about wing shape and how air can push you up if it moves really fast and the wings aren't flat.