Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: President Obambush's radical illegal executive action

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I admit confusion about the video in question. All the comparison to "this sounds like the same speech" is focused entirely on what amounts as basically everything but what I would consider the real meat of the speech. It's like they are just comparing all the presidential.. pomp. The ceremony of the speech. I'm sure almost every president could be compared if you simply chose to compare that.

On the actual subject at hand, I feel like Colbert's twitter summed up my feelings about people's reaction to his speech in 150 characters or less! "Obama's action on immigration may not technically be illegal, but it feels illegal. Like when your mom catches you drinking when you're 21."

It's not illegal. However it feels wrong to many people. I understand.
    Last edited by gigglemuffinz; 23-Nov-2014 at 04:20.

Jesus christ, 4 other presidents before obama have done the exact same thing, include saint reagan. Get over it

Thread title is misleading - this action appears to be well withing legal bounds, which was kind of the point. They put out a pretty extensive DoJ review alongside the order to specifically crush that claim.

This executive order manages to simultaneously both demonstrate how broad executive power is and its limits. It's a big but still very partial band-aid on immigration that only lasts 3 years.

I've seen a few people clamouring for his impeachment on the various news sites. IIRC, though, Obama has constitutional provisions to enable him to take executive action if needs be.

Go Obama. Good job finally showing some cojones.

As for the Republicans, this is political theater. If this were really evil executive overreach, the Republican leadership would actually do something. Since its actually a good thing and well within the limits of his power, I don't think McConnell and Boehner will do much more than run their mouths about this. More importantly, behind closed doors, I'm sure they're going to shout down Ted Cruz and the tea-partiers and tell them to toe the line.

Quote Originally Posted by ampelhamza View Post
    Go Obama. Good job finally showing some cojones.

As for the Republicans, this is political theater. If this were really evil executive overreach, the Republican leadership would actually do something. Since its actually a good thing and well within the limits of his power, I don't think McConnell and Boehner will do much more than run their mouths about this. More importantly, behind closed doors, I'm sure they're going to shout down Ted Cruz and the tea-partiers and tell them to toe the line.
    Stating on national TV that you intend to violate your oath of office is a little more than political theater. Whether any actions actually turn out to violate the letter of the law remains to be seen. Obama's speech certainly sticks a thumb in the eye of its spirit and intent.

His entire speech hinges on the false premise of a broken immigration system. The only thing broken about it is enforcement. The executive branch is charged with enforcement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitkitty View Post
    Thread title is misleading - this action appears to be well withing legal bounds, which was kind of the point. They put out a pretty extensive DoJ review alongside the order to specifically crush that claim.

This executive order manages to simultaneously both demonstrate how broad executive power is and its limits. It's a big but still very partial band-aid on immigration that only lasts 3 years.
    So you think its a good idea for the President of the United States to go on TV and state publicly that he's not going to enforce the law? Would you feel the same way if he announced that "everybody agrees we're tired of gays" and wasn't going to enforce anti-discrimination laws? It's the same thing. This time, its something that's on your liberal agenda, so its all "yay Obama"

Lots of evil things can happen under the letter of the law if the people charged with enforcing it have other ideas.

This is just a rehash of the old communist 2 steps forward, one step back strategy. Obama doesn't own Congress, and won't own the Senate come next year, so he's reverting to his community organizer tactics. Making a lot of noise about The Man, protesting the injustice of the laws and the system, all the while hoping we forget that he's the guy in the big chair.

Objective: Goad congress into appeasing the imaginary outrage with a law they wouldn't touch otherwise.

Personally, I think he should be impeached and deported. The President has the power to do just about anything if noone puts their foot down.
    Last edited by Maxx; 23-Nov-2014 at 15:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Personally, I think he should be impeached and deported. The President has the power to do just about anything if noone puts their foot down.
    Personally I get stuck on a few things about this.

You mentioned that "This time, its something that's on your liberal agenda, so its all "yay Obama" and I personally do see where you are coming from with that and even agree with that statement. In my own way of course, despite being someone who tends to approve of said liberal agenda. I think many people could stand to stand back and think about how they would feel if it wasn't something they agreed with. How they would feel being on the other side of this situation. If someone can honestly say they wouldn't mind though, then that's fine.

However.. despite how I feel you have many reasonable and understandable points.. I feel like it takes all the power out of a reasonable argument to end it with "and so the president, for doing this technically legal thing that I dislike.. should be impeached and deported". Absolutely if people think people dislike that this sort of action can come to pass, they should make a stance and attack the problem they feel is legal now but don't want it to be. I think that there is a reason the President of the United States can issue these and I don't personally think it's a wise call.. but a democratic system is a wonderful thing. Use it. It is not a reasonable response or a rational response to expect such.. a hyperbolic response. It makes the process of impeachment a joke when half of the people on the political right are calling for his impeachment over things we do not impeach people for. Especially not deported... I almost don't even want to recognize that as a legitimate suggestion because I really hope it's not. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I really wish people would stop jumping to that particular aspect of things at the drop of a pin.