Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odor Eliminator Spray for a wet diaper?

Default Odor Eliminator Spray for a wet diaper?

I searched the back history on this topic but did not see any posts on using Odor Prevention Sprays. Yes cologne would be OK but then you have the smell of cologne (may be bad or good). I see a product "Hollister m9 Odor Eliminator Spray" being advertised. Anyone try this or another odor eliminator spray that is neutral and works? Being under home care and babies listings I think it may be for this type of smell. Yes cost is always an issue, but for an overseas flight and wetting this could be good for the 1 or 2 times I would use it a year to spray into my disposable beneath my PUL plastic underpants.

I've always found Febreze to be fantastic for using against odours in the air/on furniture, but I have no idea if it's safe to use so close to your skin. Also, it may seem a bit trivial, but what material is the backing on your disposables made of? I've found that plastic-backed disposables have been much better than cloth-backed for containing odours.

Edit: A quick Google has suggested that Febreze might not be the safest thing to use, but I'll see if I can find anything else.

Edit 2: I've seen bumGenius Odor Remover mentioned a few places as a way of removing odours from cloth diapers, so it could be useful for disposables too.
    Last edited by VanillaSky91; 22-Nov-2014 at 21:48.

Quote Originally Posted by JOCKMAN View Post
    I searched the back history on this topic but did not see any posts on using Odor Prevention Sprays. Yes cologne would be OK but then you have the smell of cologne (may be bad or good). I see a product "Hollister m9 Odor Eliminator Spray" being advertised. Anyone try this or another odor eliminator spray that is neutral and works? Being under home care and babies listings I think it may be for this type of smell. Yes cost is always an issue, but for an overseas flight and wetting this could be good for the 1 or 2 times I would use it a year to spray into my disposable beneath my PUL plastic underpants.
    I really don't think odor is going to be a problem unless you plan on messing or you aren't properly hydrated. You shouldn't need to worry even on an overseas flight as long as you have good quality padding!

Quote Originally Posted by JOCKMAN View Post
    Odor lock diapers with baby powder will give you good results for a few hours.

Now as for messing, you will notice something odd within an hour. It's hard to contain a smell of messing while actually wearing. You can dispose it after pouring baking soda but it's tricky to contain a smell actually inside.

norcal57

If you are only wetting, it is easy. Drink a lot of water, and use a good disposable diaper. I have never had an issue and never will, but I have heard that some medications will do funny things. Some cheap diapers don't usually have an odor neutralizing additive, and I would sure stay away from those. I use cloth diapers a lot, and don't have issues with them either. Drink lots of water and change often.

I would still be interested in any additive that could be added to a diaper to augment whatever existing abilities it may have to fight odor. Some diapers are obviously better than others. In some cases, you may not be able to change as often as would you would like. So I would still welcome some secondaty element.

Althought generally what I've found helps is to add boosters so that you don't soak the diaper to it's limit and that keeps things a lot fresher.

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaSky91 View Post
    I've always found Febreze to be fantastic for using against odours in the air/on furniture, but I have no idea if it's safe to use so close to your skin. Also, it may seem a bit trivial, but what material is the backing on your disposables made of? I've found that plastic-backed disposables have been much better than cloth-backed for containing odours.

Edit: A quick Google has suggested that Febreze might not be the safest thing to use, but I'll see if I can find anything else.

Edit 2: I've seen bumGenius Odor Remover mentioned a few places as a way of removing odours from cloth diapers, so it could be useful for disposables too.
    Thanks Vanilla for your research - I never thought of the material being a factor for the chemical agent. Typially I like to wear thicker training underwear with my PUL at night but for an oveseas flight the DL gang has recommended disposable diapers with high SAP and also for the odor control. If I keep movement to a minimum in the airplane seat I should be OK but the spray was something as an extra backup just in case. Thanks for the alternate bumGenius suggestion.

The bad smell from urine usually comes from bacteria. That bacteria's own waste. I wouldn't be so quick to add some kind of chemical too it. It may be harmful to the skin. I know about a specific diaper fragrance called "Mommy's Scent" I think it's called. I know you can find it on eBay for sure. People usually add this to their diaper before putting it on. I'm sure it helps somewhat with odors as well by making it a bit. They come in a few different scents.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    The bad smell from urine usually comes from bacteria. That bacteria's own waste. I wouldn't be so quick to add some kind of chemical too it. It may be harmful to the skin. I know about a specific diaper fragrance called "Mommy's Scent" I think it's called. I know you can find it on eBay for sure. People usually add this to their diaper before putting it on. I'm sure it helps somewhat with odors as well by making it a bit. They come in a few different scents.
    [Here are the scents.](stores.ebay.com/Sybils-Store/Mommies-Scents-/_i.html?_fsub=742044018) I believe the store describes each scent, and one or two drops should be enough per diaper.

I am a typical DL who uses diapers with plastic backing, shorts and then plastic pants for extra protection. For longer durations (<= 10hours ) this will do the job, as long as your diaper is thick enough. I am always scared of smells.
    My 'formulae' is to put 1 drop of Tommy Hilfiger body wash in the middle of the diaper. This you will not smell as soon as you put your diaper on, but it kind of neutralizes the odor as soon as the diaper starts to saturate. I hope this tip works for you.