Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreams

Default Dreams

We all have them, regardless of remembering them or not. Of the many strange dreams I've had... several of them were notable and have even been repeating. I have had dreams that I had when I was 10, 5, 8, and so on, at 18. Some dreams never return. I'm just wondering from a scientific perspective, are dreams stored like memories? Or is the brain just recreating similar or exact replica dreams? I posted this in the 'off topic' area because I didn't know where else to do so. In any case the off topic forum seemed an appropriate place to discuss dreams.

It's a good question. I have repeating dreams, the dreams seeming to be almost identical. So the question is, yes, do we remember and store dreams or is there something else? There are reasons for our particular dreams. Some are past experiences, unresolved issues that my still trouble us. There are imprints from our past and a host of others. Since the unresolved issues may still exist, the dreams dealing with them could repeat themselves, and once dreamed and remembered, they could be called upon by the brain, retrieved again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    It's a good question. I have repeating dreams, the dreams seeming to be almost identical. So the question is, yes, do we remember and store dreams or is there something else? There are reasons for our particular dreams. Some are past experiences, unresolved issues that my still trouble us. There are imprints from our past and a host of others. Since the unresolved issues may still exist, the dreams dealing with them could repeat themselves, and once dreamed and remembered, they could be called upon by the brain, retrieved again and again.
    My thought is that they are indeed like memories. Our brain can learn even in sleep. Sometimes I'll dream a solution to a problem and remember the solution even during waking hours. Another example is if I play a game, get frustrated for long enough, my brain dreams of an alternate way of approaching a boss, level, or otherwise crazy plan. Sometimes it works, sometimes the method failing reveals another way.

I have a set of dreams I remember vividly, all of which seem connected but not directly. But they all have the same feel. It's weird. I can't remember any other dreams, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanone View Post
    I have a set of dreams I remember vividly, all of which seem connected but not directly. But they all have the same feel. It's weird. I can't remember any other dreams, tho.
    Somtimes I'll have dreams that predict the future. I'll have a dream oh say... years ago? Then years later, it comes to fruition. Yet I only remember the dream as the event unfolds. If that was my super power... it'd be pretty useless because of the major flaw of not remembering until said event, occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Premetheus View Post
    Somtimes I'll have dreams that predict the future. I'll have a dream oh say... years ago? Then years later, it comes to fruition. Yet I only remember the dream as the event unfolds. If that was my super power... it'd be pretty useless because of the major flaw of not remembering until said event, occurs.
    I really really really hope my dreams are not predicting anything. It'd be awesome, yes, but I wouldn't wish that world on anyone else.

I really really really hope my dreams are not predicting anything. It'd be awesome, yes, but I wouldn't wish that world on anyone else.
    The funny thing is that people that tell me they are weird don't understand that I do not believe anyone is strange. If anything I think I myself am strange. Some argue but I think... why would anyone want to win the biggest weirdo contest? I know I wouldn't. Although I am sure your dreams are probably not predicting the future. Sometimes you just know other times it seems hazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Premetheus View Post
    The funny thing is that people that tell me they are weird don't understand that I do not believe anyone is strange. If anything I think I myself am strange. Some argue but I think... why would anyone want to win the biggest weirdo contest? I know I wouldn't. Although I am sure your dreams are probably not predicting the future. Sometimes you just know other times it seems hazy.
    Ohhh I've gone out of my way to prove how weird I am. I guess it might technically be an insecurity thing, or compensation, in the sense that "well, I can't be normal or cool, so dammit Im gonna be the weirdest." But I know I'm def not the biggest weirdo ever, but compared to the typical person I'm bona fide weird =P

Ohhh I've gone out of my way to prove how weird I am. I guess it might technically be an insecurity thing, or compensation, in the sense that "well, I can't be normal or cool, so dammit Im gonna be the weirdest." But I know I'm def not the biggest weirdo ever, but compared to the typical person I'm bona fide weird =P
    I am similar except my game is just to not fit in. I never have fit in, so I just don't try. Although I will admit to being more weird than normal to weird out weird people XP I however do not like competitive things and am not really competitive. I will still do my best in any case, just not going against anyone.

I'm not a scientist so I can't explain the mechanics of dream memory vs normal memory but from my own experience, and you most likely have had similar experiences, sometimes something during my waking hours will trigger a dream memory and if concentrate on it I can follow some of the dream sequence, coming up with more memories about. So the memories of dreams appear to be stored but I get the distinct feeling there is something different about recalling dream memories. It makes sense that dream memory and normal memory would be separate so we can maintain some sense of reality. Sometimes when I am trying to recall a series of dream events I get an anxious feeling like my brain is telling me don't go there - that's not real.