Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Character Boxers and Underwear

Default Character Boxers and Underwear

I've noticed over the past 3 years, character - based boxers and underwear are becoming quite popular among adult males. I have seen Angry Birds, Sponge Bob, Spider-Man, Super Man, Teena Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the Flash character - themed underwear. I just thing people are starting to warm to the idea of adults still liking to be children.

I believe you are absolutely correct.

I have noticed the same thing in Target, Kohl's, Walmart and other clothing stores where I shop.

Being the recipient of some Scooby Doo and Snoopy loungewear from my wife, it was more of a "cutesy" gift than a childish gift. She knows I like those cartoons. She has also given me Christmas undies and socks and some chile pepper undies for Valentine's Day.

This isn't a new phenomenon, in the UK at least. Having Comic Book boxers was quite fashionable during my late teens (2006-08), and I remember having Spider-Man and Marvel Comics boxers; as I think several of my friends did. I certainly think dressing younger is becoming more acceptable for guys. Onesies (the full-length ones) are available in a lot of mainstream clothing stores here, as are footed pyjamas (which have seen a real increase in popularity during the last year).

Comic book-themed boxers are nothing new. Now, in the past few years, I've been seeing (and buying) a lot of comic book themed briefs which seem to be coming back in popularity.

I understand it's not new, but most these aren't just conic undies and boxers. There's Angry Birds, Sponge Bob, The Family Guy, and others too. I know this phenomenon isn't new, so let's establish that as it's already been quoted to me like twice already.

I wish the same was true of female designs. This is one of the main areas that I feel LB's are a bit luckier then LG's on. I'm not going to find adult sized Sofia the First panties anywhere that's for sure.

It can be much harder to find childishly designed underwear for older women because "oooh it has to be sexy and mature" and stuff. A bit of that "men wear underwear for men, women wear underwear for men" feeling too.

Oh please! Women get cute pink bows and clever little sayings on their clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklesTheBunny View Post
    Oh please! Women get cute pink bows and clever little sayings on their clothing.
    On dresses or t-shirts, sure. But Arietta is right, adult womens' underwear is designed to be sexy or comfortable (both fine if that's what you're looking for, but fairly limiting). Adult mens' underwear is available in what I'd call fun or nostalgic designs, which the ladies just don't get. I work in fashion advertising, and I've seen hundreds of pairs of mens Superman/Spider-Man/Homer Simpson/etc. boxer shorts and briefs advertised & for sale. Apart from possibly some fancy-dress Wonder Woman knickers, I've never come across a female equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by CrinklesTheBunny View Post
    ... I'm confused, as men get bright colors and superheroes and other nerdy stuff on theirs. What's the point? Just because I can have bright pink pants with juicy on the butt doesn't exactly make it childish. It's girly. I'm making a point specifically how men are allowed to keep their childish interests (i.e. character design prints).. all that women are allowed to keep is a sense of maidenly innocence.. those delicate little bows are a touch of innocence and purity, not childishness.. which is what I think people often get confused by on this issue. Women are indeed expected to keep a sense of innocent sweetness from their youth which I do love and take advantage of, but men are generally more accepted to keep the actual "childish interests" as they grow up.

How much people are willing to accept this also is pretty much determined with how cute they think you are. A super thing wide-eyed short girl is going to be able to get away with stuff more then a tall girl struggling with weight issues like myself. I've been teased for having my hair in a pink ribbon before. Mocked for such a babyish hairstyle and to grow up.

Don't want to get completely off topic, but I don't think it's wrong to say that a girl who likes "little girl media" and the like could be jealous of how much men are allowed to keep such things in their life. Like I said, I'm not going to find a Strawberry Shortcake one-piece swimsuit in my size, but I know how easy it is to find Spider-Man or Superpman swim trunks.