Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urodynamic testing

Default Urodynamic testing

hi all once again. advance apology for yet another wall of text.
    In my last post I went over the results of my cystoscopy and the current state of my treatment however as mentioned last post my urologist is going to conduct some urodynamic testing in the near future. (several months)
    My urologist described the test as "a catheter being inserted into my bladder and a small balloon being inserted into my rectum then water being pumped through the catheter into my bladder"
    If anyone here has experienced this i would greatly appreciate any information about it.
    When I had my cystoscopy though there was noticeable pain and extreme discomfort it was over very quickly.
    My cystoscopy was done with me lying flat on my back in an operating theatre
    I apologise for the disjointed nature of this post but i basically just wanted to set up a small basis for comparison as the cystoscopy was my first urology procedure.
    my questions regarding the urodynamic test are as follows
    what position will I be in during the procedure?
    How long does it generally take?
    How much discomfort/pain should I expect to experience?
    What state is my bladder likely to be in following the procedure?
    What side effects if any should I expect following it?
    how many staff members re likely to be present during the procedure (my cystoscopy involved the urologist and 4 or so nurses)
    if anyone wants any information regarding my current state or my last procedure I talked of it in my last post.
    feel free to ask any questions and I welcome any advice or comments.
    I would appreciate any comments or questions in any of my threads.
    thank you very much for your time.

I've had it done, and it's generally done standing (unless you're unable to), and done by either a urologist or a nurse.
    I think it took about an hour all inclusive. It's mostly painless, as the catheter will be a thin one.
    Your bladder will be almost empty afterwards, although I experienced some stinging and increased dribbling, due to irritation from the catheter.

The way I had it done was; first you strip down (keeping your shirt on), and lay down on an absorbent pad, the catheter will then be inserted and the balloon inserted into your rectum. You then stand up next to a funnel, leading down to a container standing on a weight, the catheter and balloon will be hooked up to a machine which will sense the pressure changes in your bladder and rectum, as well as control the flow of water into your bladder.

Your bladder will then be filled gradually with water, and you'll be asked to say when you start feeling the water in your bladder, and then again when you feel the need to pee, and at last when you feel like you're about to burst. A couple of times you will be asked to cough, to see if that causes any leaks. When you've reached the "about to burst" point, they'll most likely stop filling in water, and you'll be asked to pee into the funnel, afterwards, they'll scan your bladder with an ultrasound device to see how much is left, and then you do the whole thing again. Depending on the results, they might repeat it several times.

Thankyou for the info
    The pain was something I was very concerned about as the cystoscopy while quick was quite painful
    Do they use any anaesthetic during the procedure?
    When you urinate is the catheter removed and then reinserted?
    Does the balloon cause any pain or discomfort?
    Thanks again for any responses.

Quote Originally Posted by saix View Post
    Thankyou for the info
    The pain was something I was very concerned about as the cystoscopy while quick was quite painful
    Do they use any anaesthetic during the procedure?
    When you urinate is the catheter removed and then reinserted?
    Does the balloon cause any pain or discomfort?
    Thanks again for any responses.
    Saix, see my post on your previous thread. I had my cystoscope and urodynamics done at the same time. Thank goodness for that because it was very painful. I actually think the nurse did not put the local anesthesia on the catheter (or did not put enough?). I hear you on the pain! I would let them know about the previous pain and see what they can do to mitigate it (that's what I plan on doing for my next one).

As you probably know, the urodynamics test is set up to record nerve impulses from your brain to your bladder and sphincter muscles and the volume of fluid in your bladder. The balloon shouldn't cause any discomfort. And, in my case, my bladder just automatically emptied through the catheter and on to the disposable pad. I was half propped up on a operating table when they did it. They will not remove and reinsert the catheter (at least they did not in my case). I would just try and request something for the pain, let them know as truthfully as possible what sensations you can feel and not worry about when your bladder empties. Definitely bring a diaper or a pull-up to wear after the test!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Saix, see my post on your previous thread. I had my cystoscope and urodynamics done at the same time. Thank goodness for that because it was very painful. I actually think the nurse did not put the local anesthesia on the catheter (or did not put enough?). I hear you on the pain! I would let them know about the previous pain and see what they can do to mitigate it (that's what I plan on doing for my next one).

As you probably know, the urodynamics test is set up to record nerve impulses from your brain to your bladder and sphincter muscles and the volume of fluid in your bladder. The balloon shouldn't cause any discomfort. And, in my case, my bladder just automatically emptied through the catheter and on to the disposable pad. I was half propped up on a operating table when they did it. They will not remove and reinsert the catheter (at least they did not in my case). I would just try and request something for the pain, let them know as truthfully as possible what sensations you can feel and not worry about when your bladder empties. Definitely bring a diaper or a pull-up to wear after the test!!
    I have read your reply to my other thread
    I will most likely discuss the pain with them
    And I will most likely wear a pull up or diaper if possible as I definitely dont want a repeat of what happened after my cystoscopy not to mention the procedure is going to be an hours drive from my house
    It is worth noting that I still dont know when the procedure is being done although I was told in the next two to three months so I will probably get more prepared as the date draws closer
    Once again thanks for all the posts it helps a lot
    if you have anything else you think I should know or any questions feel free to post

While thinking of ways to mitigate the pain, I thought of this. Maybe they don't want you to be drugged up or using much anesthesia because that might influence the test results? You know like, the doctor says "Mr Saix, do you feel the need to urinate now?" And, you're like, "what? No dude, I don't feel anything?"

While thinking of ways to mitigate the pain, I thought of this. Maybe they don't want you to be drugged up or using much anesthesia because that might influence the test results? You know like, the doctor says "Mr Saix, do you feel the need to urinate now?" And, you're like, "what? No dude, I don't feel anything?"
    well with my cystoscopy the anaesthetic was a gel and I imagine this as being similiar if that is the case then the anaesthetic is for the urethra and penis and not the bladder which is what they are focusing on so this would be more a case of making the catheter less painful rather than the various steps of the procedure

No no you're right about that. I was trying to make light of the pain, but, yes, it's for the insertion of the catheter. My guess is that's as far as the doctor would want to take any anesthesia or pain medication since a more general anesthesia might influence the results.

No no you're right about that. I was trying to make light of the pain, but, yes, it's for the insertion of the catheter. My guess is that's as far as the doctor would want to take any anesthesia or pain medication since a more general anesthesia might influence the results.
    yeah cystoscopy under general aneasthetic is somewhat common but as far as I know urodynamics are all about what the person is feeling so naturally local is the only way.
    Hopefully the pain wont be too bad for me once again while the cystoscopy hurt my urologsit did it very quickly and i experienced very little side effects following it.
    Ive heard of people bleeding with intense pain for days after a cystoscopy whereas aside from that incident at the hospital i had little to no burning following the procedure and no bleeding at all.

Quote Originally Posted by saix View Post
    I have read your reply to my other thread
    I will most likely discuss the pain with them
    And I will most likely wear a pull up or diaper if possible as I definitely dont want a repeat of what happened after my cystoscopy not to mention the procedure is going to be an hours drive from my house
    It is worth noting that I still dont know when the procedure is being done although I was told in the next two to three months so I will probably get more prepared as the date draws closer
    Once again thanks for all the posts it helps a lot
    if you have anything else you think I should know or any questions feel free to post
    I have had Cystoscopy tests done, and the Urodynamic test too.
    I dealt with the pain as best I could.