Thread: the past, regret, and how has this affected you

Default the past, regret, and how has this affected you

So while this kinda has a similar premise to one of the threads currently active it's completely different to others. the reason im writing this is because II want to know how your biggest regret has affected you. So I guess I'll start first.

In order to grasp the full extent of the story,you'll have to know about my family dynamics a bit .I have 16 brothers and 17 sisters I had 3 more brothers but that the reason im writing this now. I won't get into much details but the three oldest of us were killed and i was with them when they died,Since then i brake sweats even remembering it and since my god brother was born I've always been overprotective about everything.

im sorry if it's a bit confusing but i still can't think straight.

my brothers deaths made me see thing can't always be settled peacfully and things don't always go how we want them to be.
    Last edited by tai; 13-Nov-2014 at 11:45.

Excuse me if this sounds rude but... 36 siblings?! Was this the result of your father being with a lot of different women, or were you all foster children or something?

I don't know that it matters how many siblings someone has, let's hear them out for what they have to say.. I think they felt some sort of understanding may be able to come from at least a few members here.

I lost my twins because I entrusted them with my now-ex-wife and her batshit mother. I didn't have much of a choice due to my situation at the time. But if I had listened to myself instead of others' advice, I probably could have avoided it. That's my regret, but I try not to worry about it. I don't know what your views are on the afterlife, but I'm sure if my twins could see me they wouldn't want me to be sad. It's tough not to, obviously, but likewise the notion helps. A lot.

I deal with regret by acknowledged it, but not dwelling on it. I acknowledge why I regret, I acknowledge what I learned from that regret, and I move my mind on to more productive and happier things. Just because I wasn't safe in the past doesn't mean I'm not safe now.

It's a constant struggle, but this way of thinking is how I overcame my own crippling depression. It took me years of meditation, and a constant awareness of recognizing my own thought patterns while consciously trying to redirect them, but now I've been symptom free for six years.

It's easier said than done, but there's no benefit in spending your life rueing your mistakes. One of the biggest mistakes a person can make in life is to keep ruminating on what they've done wrong. It's a cliché, but mistakes are there for learning from, not dwelling on.

My biggest regret though, is failing to deal head-on with my mental health issues and stress, and descending into several years of drinking problems. I'm annoyed in retrospect because I feel like I harmed friendships and my own prospects by trying to escape with the issues I had, instead of facing them, and trying to work through the underlying causes.

It's not something I think about on a day-to-day basis though. It's done. I can't undo my poor decisions, I can just work out why they were bad decisions and resolve to make better choices (even if the right course of action doesn't seem like the easy option).

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    Excuse me if this sounds rude but... 36 siblings?! Was this the result of your father being with a lot of different women, or were you all foster children or something?
    I'll take this opportunity to vasectomise that line of inquiry forthwith. If I recall correctly these are his foster parents the OP is referring to.

I as a rule do not believe in holding onto regrets, life is too short.

Not Enlisting immediately after High School to fight the Taliban. I blew my chance at getting to fight for my country. Now to deploy, you have to know the right people and fight to get it. If I knew now what I didn't when I was 17 leaving high school, I could've spared my body it's hearing, knees, back, legs and feet.