Thread: Good things ahead

Default Good things ahead

Today marks the 7th day of my journey of quitting smoking. Withdrawal is pretty much over, lungs are feeling good. I still have a ways to go, but my mind is clearer and less anxious/depressed, my heart doesn't feel like its going to jump out of my chest anymore, and I can finally sleep better

Other good news for me, just lined up a deal for an apartment in January. I will finally be able to wear again after 6ish months

With the money I'll save from not smoking, and the privacy from an apartment, I was thinking about splurging a bit and getting a case of bambinos once I move in. Life is getting good again

Sorry, I needed to do some happy ranting. I've been pretty depressed lately, but it seems like things are turning around. So to anyone who is having a rough time, just remember that things will get better!

Haha I know the feeling. I quit smoking a few months ago, but switched to vaping. Still easier on the lungs tho. But I just moved in somewhere where I can have big pets and I'll finally be able to bring my dog from my parents' house so I'm excited about that. Plus I ordered a case of Bambinos as well, something I haven't be able to do recently, so we're pretty close together on good times ahead hope things go great for both of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanone View Post
    Haha I know the feeling. I quit smoking a few months ago, but switched to vaping. Still easier on the lungs tho. But I just moved in somewhere where I can have big pets and I'll finally be able to bring my dog from my parents' house so I'm excited about that. Plus I ordered a case of Bambinos as well, something I haven't be able to do recently, so we're pretty close together on good times ahead hope things go great for both of us!
    Will your parents miss your dog? I have a crazy golden retriever, but both my wife and I love her dearly.

I remember when I finally quit smoking for good. I had tried several times. Finally, I got disgusted with myself and quit cold turkey. The first two weeks were the hardest, but once I got past that, I never looked back. It's one of those things that I'm very thankful for. It improved my health greatly. Now I'm 66 and I still bike ride and run. Cigarettes should be outlawed, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Will your parents miss your dog? I have a crazy golden retriever, but both my wife and I love her dearly.

I remember when I finally quit smoking for good. I had tried several times. Finally, I got disgusted with myself and quit cold turkey. The first two weeks were the hardest, but once I got past that, I never looked back. It's one of those things that I'm very thankful for. It improved my health greatly. Now I'm 66 and I still bike ride and run. Cigarettes should be outlawed, as far as I'm concerned.
    My dad might miss her a bit, and my mom might miss her kinda, but tbh my mom thinks she's a nuisance and my dad is usually too tired by the time he gets home from work to play with her and so they've probably been waiting for when I can take her, for their sanity and for her to be able to be with me. She used to be my aunt's dog, so my parents took her in, and when I moved back in after I had to leave my first apartment, she took to me immediately and they pretty much regarded her as my dog. But when I moved back out, I couldn't have big pets, which is why I ended up getting my ferrets. But now that I live in a house with my gf and her friend, dogs are okay but also, my mom has her dog and also my grandma's dog (both of my grandmas passed away last year, and my mom's mom's dog is my mom's dog's daughter, so we were familiar with her) so it wont be an empty house with my dog coming out here :3

Smoking wasn't something I ever intended to do, I was also 110% against it my whole life. Then I just kinda gave up after some bad stuff happened. I was going to see a girl who had just broken up with me and she started smoking that night and I didn't want her to do it alone and I was also miserable so I took it up as well. Then it was just another coping mechanism to help me calm my nerves as I found a new job, then it was a social thing, then I met my current gf who smoked up until we quit, but it was something we'd do to talk. Just sit outside and smoke together. And so the concept of smoking is kinda special to us, but I decided I wanted to quit, but she didn't want to let go of it entirely, so she suggested vaping, and tbh I feel a lot better since the switch and it tastes so much better. For the most part, I quit cigs cold turkey, but likewise I don't ban myself from a social smoke now and then, and I'll be damned if I ever gave up my once-in-a-blue-moon clove cigarettes. But it wasn't hard to switch from smokes to vapor. And I don't really plan on quitting vaping, so I never really quit nicotine. But thank God the tar is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanone View Post
    My dad might miss her a bit, and my mom might miss her kinda, but tbh my mom thinks she's a nuisance and my dad is usually too tired by the time he gets home from work to play with her and so they've probably been waiting for when I can take her, for their sanity and for her to be able to be with me. She used to be my aunt's dog, so my parents took her in, and when I moved back in after I had to leave my first apartment, she took to me immediately and they pretty much regarded her as my dog. But when I moved back out, I couldn't have big pets, which is why I ended up getting my ferrets. But now that I live in a house with my gf and her friend, dogs are okay but also, my mom has her dog and also my grandma's dog (both of my grandmas passed away last year, and my mom's mom's dog is my mom's dog's daughter, so we were familiar with her) so it wont be an empty house with my dog coming out here :3
    Wow, that's a lot of dogs. I'm really responding to say I'm sorry that you lost to grandparents in one year. That couldn't have been easy. I was very close to one of my grandmothers. In fact, my wife and I named our current dog after her, to honor her. Geez....I hope she isn't offended, having a dog named after her. Anyway, as humans, we are an interesting lot. I look forward to seeing my grandmother again upon my death. She was a wonderful, loving person who treated me with undying love.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of dogs. I'm really responding to say I'm sorry that you lost to grandparents in one year. That couldn't have been easy. I was very close to one of my grandmothers. In fact, my wife and I named our current dog after her, to honor her. Geez....I hope she isn't offended, having a dog named after her. Anyway, as humans, we are an interesting lot. I look forward to seeing my grandmother again upon my death. She was a wonderful, loving person who treated me with undying love.
    Yeah, we used to have 4 different ones; the dad, the one mom, my previous dog, and my mom's dog (the other mom). My old dog was the son of the first two, but he had heart problems and we had to put him down. Dad got all skittish (we think it was for attention) and found him a home with a friendly old couple with no other pets. Older mom went to my grandma, but she went to another family when that gram died bc she had been causing issues too. But yeah, we had 3 sets of puppies total so a lot of dogs had been through our house lol. But yeah, I wasnt super close to my grams, I didnt get to see my mom's mom much and tbh she was kinda rude, but like she cared too. She was just brutally honest and sassy. My dad's mom was the opposite, super gentle and mostly quiet, always kind and helpful. It was kinda funny, one gram would go through the trouble of getting you something, another gram would teach me how to get it myself. I like that balance tho, it shows that sometimes you get help and other times you gotta figure things out for yourself. Life lessons from grandmas, eh?

I actually switched from analog cigs to vaping a bit ago. This was a good move because from what I've found, quitting the pure nicotine from vaping is a lot easier than all the chemicals in cigarettes. I went down to the local vape store and got my favorite flavor in 0 nicotine level, and kept vaping like normal. The withdrawals were pretty easily ignorable, since any cravings could be dismissed by vaping the 0 nic until it passed. The vaping gave me a big head start on clearing up my lungs, but even the nicotine from vaping made my chest feel tight. I wasn't even aware I felt like that until a day or so had passed without any nicotine. My anxiety, which I thought the nicotine was helping me cope with, got a lot less intense after I stopped the nicotine.

I also never planned on smoking, but yes, there was a girl... It also gave me a crutch to use to strike up a conversation with somebody new. Luckily my friend from middle school opened up a vape shop and got me to try it out. Its a shame cigarette companies are spending so much money trying to give vaping a bad reputation, trying to get them banned, etc. Because they are well aware of how much easier it makes quitting, and how much cheaper/safer it makes continuing. Tobacco companies are losing a lot of money and customers, and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    I actually switched from analog cigs to vaping a bit ago. This was a good move because from what I've found, quitting the pure nicotine from vaping is a lot easier than all the chemicals in cigarettes. I went down to the local vape store and got my favorite flavor in 0 nicotine level, and kept vaping like normal. The withdrawals were pretty easily ignorable, since any cravings could be dismissed by vaping the 0 nic until it passed. The vaping gave me a big head start on clearing up my lungs, but even the nicotine from vaping made my chest feel tight. I wasn't even aware I felt like that until a day or so had passed without any nicotine. My anxiety, which I thought the nicotine was helping me cope with, got a lot less intense after I stopped the nicotine.

I also never planned on smoking, but yes, there was a girl... It also gave me a crutch to use to strike up a conversation with somebody new. Luckily my friend from middle school opened up a vape shop and got me to try it out. Its a shame cigarette companies are spending so much money trying to give vaping a bad reputation, trying to get them banned, etc. Because they are well aware of how much easier it makes quitting, and how much cheaper/safer it makes continuing. They're losing a lot of money and customers, and rightfully so.
    Fun story. But yeah, I really hope vaping doesn't get banned. I won't have much of an issue as long as I can get a nicotine solution; I make my own juice. The flavoring and PG/VG cant get banned easily bc so many people use it for other stuff. But it might get harder to obtain a nic solution soooooo... Eh. They say the flavors "entice children" but the same could be said about flavored vodka, but no one's complaining about that. God forbid someone give up their Pinnacle Whipped, eh?

I quit smoking, (cigarettes), when I was 24, like 31 years ago and I felt like a new man full of energy and life. Like an idiot and due to a girl I was seeing I took up smoking again in my mid 30s. I wised up after George Harrison's death and quit again at 40 but was disappointed not to feel the energy surge I did the first time I quit. Still at 55 I am a happy nonsmoker!

I don't know what was so special about cigarettes. One smell of smoke from someone's bud and I usually cover my nose while walking away. Of course I get tons of weird looks but do you think I really care? Nope. It's a nasty habit and it can kill so I see no good coming out of smoking. It rots teeth, fills your lungs with gravy, and turns you into petey the pirate. I wish there was some huge awareness of telling people to stop smoking...oh wait, there is. Called TV but if everyone really wants to make an impact on telling people to stop smoking, then don't sell the stuff at all, then your chances of saving lives by not making people smoke will increase by approximately 1.3% but tobacco users and growers make their money off of this stuff so it is useless to stop "completely" selling the stuff, end of story.

What I don't understand though is we have programs that tells kids (early) about the dangers of smoking but they think it's cool and relaxing to do so why do we have programs in the first place if they are just going to pop a stick in their mouths? Waste of time for the people that do not care, but saves the other kids lives that do care about themselves and is actually worth something. Just like the pot thing for example, trying to legalize it because they proclaim it is better for you but a smoke is a smoke. Every cigarette is doing you damage.

This is one of the sad things we are facing (Comparing to children starving) Throwing commercials and products are not going to stop people from smoking. Discontinuing the product will. They might lose their nerves and go crazy but it'll be a huge comeback rather than spending all this money to make patches or pills to prevent you from smoking when you should have not been smoking this crap in the first place. You should have listened to your teacher about the dangers of smoking. Life is more valuable than puffs of smoke.