Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Mac Laptop?

Default Gaming Mac Laptop?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a laptop to replace my five-year-old desktop for gaming. My old desktop has a GTS 240 graphics card in it and I'm looking for a gaming laptop for under $1500.

Would a current-gen Mac laptop, running a dual boot Windows side for gaming have more power than my old desktop. I like the Mac for their simplicity and relative security, but I'd like to be able to run all my old PC games too through Steam.

I'll post my full specs when I get home as I'm writing this from my work laptop. The only thing I can remember off the top of my head is my graphics card.

Thanks.

My other specs:
    Intel core I7 CPU 860 at 2.80 GHz 8GB of RAM 64 Bit Operating System.
    Last edited by FootieCrinkle; 10-Nov-2014 at 23:49.

It probably would, but is the portability of a laptop that important to you? I'm just mean that you will get more for your money if you build a desktop computer/update your old one. And putting a computer together keeps getting easier.

When I slapped together a computer for my mom, the heatsink that came with the CPU had the thermal paste already applied and ready to go. I just put things together and every just worked. The only reason it took me more than 5 minutes was because I had to find an older case since the one from her old was a dell and not universal.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the portability is important to me. I'd rather spend a bit more and get the portability. I travel a lot,and I like the idea of taking my gaming with me, instead of only having late 90s-era games (and, for some strange reason, Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood and Soldier of Fortune 2, go figure. They run well) on the laptop I use for work.

Thanks.

Ah, okay.

Well after a quick look on Apple, the cheapest option with a good video card was $2500, from what I saw. The others had Intels (probably won't do much better than what you have in your work laptop). I'm unsure of how much cheaper used would be.

I'm thinking a laptop with windows would be the way to go. $1500 can definitely get you something better than your old desktop.

RANT
    This whole "Macs are more secure" is a fallacy that Apple has now made popular due to brilliant advertising. Macs have had plenty of viruses and exploits created for them and are only as secure as the user is cautious, this is the same as for PCs. I work in IT and hear this all the time and it drives me insane.
    /RANT

That aside, the best questions to ask is: What games do you intend to play? Do you intend to play with max settings? and What is your budget?

These questions are the core of what you should buy.Since your budget is $1500, the Macbook you can buy is the 13" Macbook Pro that only has an Intel i5 with an Intel Iris graphics card (which performs poorly with modern games http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-I...0.91977.0.html). If you want to play Generic Benchmark Game(Call of Duty, Titanfall, Battlefield 4...etc) then the Mac likely won't play those. If you want to play less demanding/older/indie games the Mac will do fine.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the Macbook Pro build above would be less powerful than your desktop
    If your core intent is gaming, you can get a decent gaming laptop http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O4ORQ3C/..._t1_B00O4ORONE with better specs and still in budget (albeit right at the line). This laptop could max out most current games with ease, but if that doesn't matter to you, you could always get a cheaper gaming laptop (MSI, Clevo, Maingear and ASUS are all good brands, avoid Acer).

In the end, you know what you want. Apple does some great things with OS X (crazy battery life, integrates well with other iDevices, UNIX that just works), but they are still sort of not great for anything but the most casual gaming (unless you buy the top tier Macs that have better GPUs). I would suggest if you want the Mac to at least go for a $2000+ Macbook Pro.
    Last edited by DangerKitsune; 11-Nov-2014 at 02:35. Reason: Responding to one of OP's questions I missed.

Macs are not really for gamers, they are expensive, I got a kick ass top of the line macbook pro from 2013, still no games on it, Not what I bought it for.

- - - Updated - - -

you want a cheap one than the best solution is to get a hacked pc laptop that runs OS X

Macs and Gaming are two words that do not generally go together. Honestly with Apple you're paying for the logo, not the actual quality of the product.

I don't know a great deal about Video Cards and such but this article I found might help point you in the right direction: PC Gaming Magazine's Gaming Laptop choices

Quote Originally Posted by FootieCrinkle View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a laptop to replace my five-year-old desktop for gaming. My old desktop has a GTS 240 graphics card in it and I'm looking for a gaming laptop for under $1500.

Would a current-gen Mac laptop, running a dual boot Windows side for gaming have more power than my old desktop. I like the Mac for their simplicity and relative security, but I'd like to be able to run all my old PC games too through Steam.

I'll post my full specs when I get home as I'm writing this from my work laptop. The only thing I can remember off the top of my head is my graphics card.

Thanks.

My other specs:
    Intel core I7 CPU 860 at 2.80 GHz 8GB of RAM 64 Bit Operating System.
    Ok macs can't run windows, hardware won't support it with out major programming hacks. And even still once you introduce windows to it you throw all the "mac security" out the window. But to have a mac and a pc of equal specs, you spend about $10 more per part on a mac than you would on a pc. My desktop in hardware ran about $1500 a mac of equal power would run roughly $4000 mac markup is ridiculous. The apple logo symbolizes spending 3x the money on last year's tech

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    Ok macs can't run windows, hardware won't support it with out major programming hacks.
    Actually, my dad runs windows on his Mac desktop using a program. The name escapes me at the moment but essentially its like DOSbox, running a Windows boot as a "program" in a window, opened from the Mac side. Just saying.

FootieCrinkle, what you're thinking of is called a virtual machine, probably the software called "Parallels." There are other options as well.

Apple supports dualbooting Windows through Boot Camp. They maintain compatibility and offer a service guide here: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201258

Ignoring price/performance, what games are you looking to play?

Here are performance benchmarks for the GPUs in the current configurations of the MacBook Pro:

Iris graphics (in the 13.3" model)
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-I...0.91977.0.html

Iris Pro graphics (15" model)
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-I...0.90965.0.html

GT 750M (15" model if you get the discrete graphics version)
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.90245.0.html