Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Steam.

Default Problems with Steam.

Well, I have been exploring PC gaming recently and so I decided I could as well spend my time looking at games and stuff (although I don't think my computer can handle the newest games).

I have downloaded Counter Strike: Source in my computer and it runs decently expect that it still has some glitches and I had to download a program named "Steam". According to a friend, it will help me to find better servers and hopefully the program could fix such glitches. UPDATING PROBLEM: Well, it did updated and I already created my account, but my friend's server list reaches +4000 servers and mine reaches 40 at most and when I try to enter a server, it says that I don't have a 3rd-party mod installed, er...help?

Also, I'm not really good with PC troubleshooting, so building my own PC means that I'm capable of fixing it for myself (not completely true but still...), so in the near future I plan to buy a gaming PC (XPS, Alienware, etc...), what do you guys recommend?

meh. I don't go in for digital distritubution. My internet is so slow, I can't download games. Unless there was like a €20 price difference, I couldn't justify the time required to download the game. Also my download limit is pretty low so I'd be limited to maybe 3 games a month. (The joys of living rural, in the country with the worst broadband in the EU).

this is WHY you should get Steam and buy directly from it. The company that owns Steam also made CS:S the game that you mentioned.

Also Steam will not do anything remotely bad to your computer. Its sort of like Itunes for video games but a LOT more better. Also Steam is completely free.

Steam used to be a giant steaming pile, but now it's not so bad. It's still glitchy and tends to not work with linux-based OS's (won't work on Ubuntu I know for a fact). Even still, it's kind of like the myspace of computer games. You can set it to allow you to use the steam community on any game that you have, which allows you to chat in-game between games to other people.

As for getting a new computer, buying a pre-built computer will all ways be more expensive than doing the research and building your own. If you've got a friend who's computer savvy, I'd say enlist his help on finding and buying good parts and assembling yourself a kick-ass gaming computer.

Back to your problem: There's a file in your steam folder (commonly C:\Program Files\Steam) called "ClientRegistry.blob". If you delete that, you'll have to re-update steam, and it's a common curall for a lot of steam's problems. As for it telling you that you don't have the third party mod... Well, you probably don't have the mod that the server was made for. This is assuming you just clicked "find servers" without filtering it to any specific game. Or you tried to join a game that your friend was playing, it was a mod, and you don't have the mod.

If you could give more specifics on the matter, I could try to help more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H View Post
    If you could give more specifics on the matter, I could try to help more.
    Yeah it's kinda weird but I need to know which tools do I need to download. This is how it goes:

I start Steam and then I click on the "Servers" option (it's the icon that looks like a sphere/planet). The server list starts searching for any avaliable game but I have gotten 40 servers at most. My friend doesn't quite remember how to fix that, but he remembered that he downloaded a "dedicated server", but I don't want to download a file as big as that one for nothing, there are for HL: DM, Team fortress 2, Left 4 Dead but there's nothing for Counter Strike, there is a file named "Source dedicated server" though, nonetheless I really don't know if it's really for "Counter Strike: Source", so I want to confirm which files should I download. Anyway, so far I have played just twice in those servers but in the rest a little dialog box appears and just says "You don't have a 3rd party mod installed.", and then that server turns it's status to "<Not responding>". It's really confusing, but now I know that the only problem could either come from not downloading some files or could as well come from one of the Apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorbreath View Post
    Yeah it's kinda weird but I need to know which tools do I need to download. This is how it goes:

I start Steam and then I click on the "Servers" option (it's the icon that looks like a sphere/planet). The server list starts searching for any avaliable game but I have gotten 40 servers at most. My friend doesn't quite remember how to fix that, but he remembered that he downloaded a "dedicated server", but I don't want to download a file as big as that one for nothing, there are for HL: DM, Team fortress 2, Left 4 Dead but there's nothing for Counter Strike, there is a file named "Source dedicated server" though, nonetheless I really don't know if it's really for "Counter Strike: Source", so I want to confirm which files should I download. Anyway, so far I have played just twice in those servers but in the rest a little dialog box appears and just says "You don't have a 3rd party mod installed.", and then that server turns it's status to "<Not responding>". It's really confusing, but now I know that the only problem could either come from not downloading some files or could as well come from one of the Apps.
    those dedicated serve things on the Steam tools tabs are pretty much only for making your own server.

I wish I could help ya but I don't own any CS game. TF2 has the arena mode anyways which is one life per game just like CS.

You have to actually run the game first, then access the server list from within the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You have to actually run the game first, then access the server list from within the game itself.
    Well you can right click on the Steam icon in the bottom right of windows and click servers. I just did that and got maybe 70-130 servers in the first 20 seconds or so. Most of them are Counter Strike servers but you could find any server running a steam game on it I think.

Of course its better to just look at them from the game your playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That is one thing.

You downloaded CS:S independant of Steam? Did you buy it? If you did, you should have gotten a CD-key, which you can use to register the game with steam. Then, you'll be able to run CS:S on steam, then once you run the game, you should be able to click the "Find Servers" button inside there.

If you have the game less-than-legally, or lost/didn't get the cd-key, you may be SOL.