Thread: crib made from pvc pipe?

Default crib made from pvc pipe?

I saw this crib somewhere on google and thought maybe one could be made for a twin size bed and painted, I wouldn't think it would cost as much as other materials and still should be strong enough. I've seen bunk beds made from pvc pipe, im thinking about making a similar one and putting a extra support in the middle because of it being a twin size mattress and its longer.
    What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	947caa39ea9cebe236885b0ae3e49dc7[1].jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	22298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images1LI208BB.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	22299

Good luck with the bunks. I would be afraid to try it for fear. The crib looks a lot more sturdy.

I've thought about this approach myself from time to time. I would be concerned that it would feel rickety or wobbly. I'm sure that could be managed with thick enough pipe but that might increase the cost too much or make it unappealing to look at. Seems like it's worth messing around with if you have a little money, time, and space.

PVC of the diameter you'll need for an adult crib will almost certainly be more expensive than wood. Go to Lowes or Home Depot and check it out. I wouldn't trust anything less than a 4" diameter for the tubing supporting the mattress, and that would be with a third pair of legs in the middle. All of those cast PVC joints will REALLY add up, too.

And I'm with Fascinating on the bunk bed. That thing looks like a serious injury waiting to happen.

My suggestion would be to get a cheap bed frame and focus on making just the crib bars as an add-on. That'll surely be the cheapest (and quickest) strategy, and then you needn't worry about waking up skewered on a broken piece of plastic tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    All of those cast PVC joints will REALLY add up, too.
    Yeah, tubing is pretty inexpensive, but joints are not very when you have to buy a bunch of them.

True the joints would be the most expensive.