Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Right to Die

Default The Right to Die

I've been following the story of Brittany Maynard, as I'm sure other members here have been as well. I was wondering how people feel about it.

http://www.people.com/article/britta...l-brain-cancer

Maynard was diagnosed with brain cancer in January 2014. She discussed the illness with experts in the field and was told how she would die from it. After exploring the options available to her she moved to Oregon so she could access the state's Dying with Dignity Act. This Act allows terminally sick people to end their lives through voluntarily self-administered lethal medication prescribed from a physician.

She went very public with this through youtube and social media to bring attention to the cases of people who would choose to end their lives on their own terms rather than suffer interminably for the remainder of their days. She was very clear, as well, in differentiating between the right to die for terminally sick patients and those who are suicidal. She stated that she did not want to die, but she was dying without choice in the matter. She was a person who wanted to live. She chose to die with dignity since she saw it as less terrifying than dying from aggressive brain cancer. In an interview with People magazine she stated 'There is not a cell in my body that is suicidal or wants to die.. I want to live. I wish there was a cure for my disease but there's not.'

According to Oregon's data, 1,173 people have had prescriptions written through the Dying with Dignity Act and 752 patients have died from medications prescribed under the Act.

To qualify to get help under the Act, the person must be a resident of Oregon and deemed to be mentally competent. Oregon does not keep track of the number of people who moved there to access assistance to the Act.

The issue of dying with dignity has long been a battleground in political and religious circles. George Eighmey, a retired legislator who helped pass the legislation stated that the diversity of people who use the law shows there is no consensus based on those views. Forty one per cent said they were Republicans and more than fifty per cent described themselves as belonging to a religion.

I've heard leaders describing Oregon's laws as immoral and cruel. From my own perspective, these words would more aptly apply to a society that would force terminally sick people to die in a cruel, inhumane manner rather than allow them to end their lives peacefully surrounded by their loved ones.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Starrunner; 06-Nov-2014 at 00:59.

If someone is of sound mind I know of no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to die. Dying, while a sad thing, is something that should be up to the individual. I always find it ironic that those who claim they want small government, the right and over-religious, tend to want to get into your lives in every way shape and form as moral police. But that is for another thread.

The most important thing is that they are mentally competent. I would say they should have at minimum a month of therapy twice a week before hand to determine whether they are in the position to be making this decision and whether they have sought out alternatives.

At the end of the day, however, it is their life, and their choice to end it. No one should have the right to tell you when you can or cannot die.

This is a very "touchy" topic, and I have been thinking about my response for about an hour. So here goes.

There of course is the "religious" argument that suicide is a mortal sin. Life is a precious gift that is not to be thrown away. I agree with that part.

However, having watched my brother die of brain cancer over 5 years, I can understand the other side of the discussion.

"Live life to its fullest" is a given.
    But is lying in bed unable to eat, not able to get up to go to the bathroom, unable to dress yourself, and be in constant pain with seizures that last for up to 30 minutes is living?

He went through several surgeries to eliminate the cancer, then several rounds of Chemo to eradicate the cancer, and finally get into an insurance issue of whether he could get the "next treatment".

It finally came down to the fact that he could not work, so therefore he did not have insurance, and it took two years of fighting with Social security to get him listed as disable, so he got Medicare the day after he died.

The primary Oncologist did the first round of treatment but after that, his "responsibility for charity has exceeded his obligation". The second Oncologist was doing research into new treatment and did the second surgery treatment to illuminate the cancer. When it caused an abscess that was detrimental to his health, he would not correct it until he had insurance. This issue was caused by the experiment but the "doctor" was not obligated to repair the problem and we had to come up with the money for his surgery. So my brother had to suffer from the debilitating seizures for a month until the Medicare was available.

Which doctor was the "angle of mercy" and which one was the "profit grubbing Ferengy".

Side note: no Lawyer would touch this one without Money up front.

I watched my brother die and I knew that it would be the outcome. And to watch him suffer as his hopes where raised only to sit and suffer some more, was heart wrenching.
    All that the doctors did in the last 9 months was rob him of his dignity!!!

So yes life is precious and it should be lived to its fullest.
    I have asked this question before and priest will change the subject so fast. Is the anguish of ones last day the time one must spend in purgatory to repent for ones sins?

It all comes down to what you believe.
    Bring up the Whole "Right to life" issue.
    I have to agree with what Bill Clinton said in an interview on this subject.
    "It should be Legal, Available, and Rare"
    "This issue is between A person, Their Doctor, and God and we should respect that."

I have lost several friends to cancer and I have seen them go quickly and I have seen them linger.
    I do not know what I would do in there case, except live as much as I can as long as I can. Then I am not sure what I would do at the end.

The other thing is comfort care and the fact that a lot of Doctors will not do it because they might over dose or adverse react to the analgesia and stop breathing. There again is that a concern or does the patient have to suffer needlessly to protect the Doctors from Malpractice.

I do not really know if there is a correct answer to this but I will stick with what Clinton said and stop here.

The Vatican condemned her actions today. Apparently, the Catholic God has no compassion. Apparently, the Catholic God is uncaring about unnecessary pain and suffering. Too bad the Catholic God was not as quick to condemn priest-on-child sexual abuse as it was to condemn the act of this very beautiful, unfortunate woman. Then far fewer children would have been damaged.
    Sorry to rant, but this just pisses me off.
    Last edited by Kenn; 06-Nov-2014 at 10:35.

I have no argument with what she did.

My beef is with dragging her personal drama into public view. Its not that hard to off yourself quietly if that's really your best option. The pope doesn't need to be involved. The state doesn't need to be involved. The media don't need to be involved.

I have more sympathy with someone who is immobilized by a terminal illness and can't get to the shotgun in the closet, or drag themself to the bridge for a final 9.7

If I were in her situation, I'd have just checked out without bothering anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post

My beef is with dragging her personal drama into public view. Its not that hard to off yourself quietly if that's really your best option. The pope doesn't need to be involved. The state doesn't need to be involved. The media don't need to be involved.

I have more sympathy with someone who is immobilized by a terminal illness and can't get to the shotgun in the closet, or drag themself to the bridge for a final 9.7

If I were in her situation, I'd have just checked out without bothering anybody else.
    While I disagree with your wording, I do agree that she could have done it quietly without the media being involved. Though if anything she got them involved to try an get more support for her decision. It seems to me like you're trying to make it out like she did it for attention, something I highly doubt. Watch the documentary "Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die" It sheds some light on the sensitive nature of assisted suicide. Be forewarned that near the end of the film you do see someone die.
    Last edited by SnowBlitz; 05-Nov-2014 at 21:04.

It's called bringing awareness to right to die issues, which I have no problem with, and neither should anyone else. She didn't do it for self-attention. She did it for everyone in her situation.

Quote Originally Posted by JewelSparkles View Post
    She didn't do it for self-attention.
    And you know this because you can read her mind?

she chose well, I have heard the religious arguments, but they can blow it out their ass, at the end I was praying for my Pop to die, I was crying and begging on my knees the night before he finally passed, that ended any belief in a christian god for me, Jesus is a lie, and my family got nothing from watching him die slowly from cancer that started in his throat, took his lower jaw, and eventually took his brain over, when he died he was on enough pain killers to kill several men, in the end the pain killers eventually put him to sleep, this is not uncommon, euthanasia happens often with cancer, people just don't talk about it.

And you know this because you can read her mind?
    And you can read her mind too? Your response screams how ignorant you really are. Seriously do you just wade into topics to post bullshit like this?