Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: How do you feel about the police?

  1. #1

    Default How do you feel about the police?

    I've read quite a lot about US policing and relationships between communities and the police, mostly (but not exclusively) focusing on the tragic events in Ferguson, Mo.. I've always had a positive view of the British police, and feel that the majority of them are reasonable in their actions, and hardworking in their jobs. I also think that police corruption here is rare, although it's certainly not unheard of.

    It interests me that whilst most people I know in Britain feel that the police serve their community and are genuinely dedicated to public safety, attitudes in the USA, as well as in various other parts of Europe and the rest of the globe, are much more sceptical about the idea that the police are there to protect everyone.

    So I'm interested to hear - what do you think of the Police in your region/country, and do you think law enforcement in your area is significantly better or worse than in other parts of the world?

  2. #2

    Default

    I have the utmost respect for the police. Of course, there will always be bad eggs in every bunch, and it simply is not fair to take their worth and apply it to the entire police force as a whole. There are videos of people refusing to comply with police officers until the officer must take aggressive action, and then people get upset. That pisses me off. If you have nothing to worry about - have broken no laws - then you have no reason to NOT comply with officers. It will save both you and then trouble.

    Also, with situations like Ferguson, people get lose sight of the facts because someone was shot dead by officers. The people who are upset about Ferguson have no idea what even happened and are refusing to listen to anything that tells them that the kid was in the wrong. Recently, here in Ohio in a location near me, a man was gunned down in a Wal-mart. People were outraged, except the shooting was 100% deserved: The man was holding a toy assault rifle that was designed to appear all black, with no orange cap that signifies that it is fake and not a lethal weapon, so it appeared real at first glance. He was also walking suspiciously around a single aisle, and occasionally pointing the gun at customers. When police had sneaked into the building and got behind him, he turned around and his "weapon" rose, and cops are not allowed to take chances, thus they had to gun him down and empty the mag. The shooting sucks, it's sad that a man had to be shot to death by police, but he broke all of the things you don't do to police officers.

    People who dislike the police either have zero idea about officer protocols and rules, or are taking what a few bad cops do and applying it to an entire group of people who may otherwise be completely innocent.

    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b8d_1413049025 This is completely deserved, and an example of what police have to deal with on a constant basis, and then the media takes it and spins it out of control into something stupid and anti-cop and the people who have no idea about the police force in the first place take said news spin and then run with it until cops look terrible. It's sad, it's disgusting, and the innocent police officers who do what they have to do on a daily basis and risk their lives on a constant basis are shamed and disliked because of it. Fortunately the driver of this vehicle was so stupid that the media can in no way take this video and spin it.

    While walking, I have been stopped by an officer before. I had to walk through a neighbors yard to get to the street because it's a very fast short cut to the central part of town, and I was using a flash light as it was around 1am, so she thought I was looking to break in. The "yard" is actually just a giant field that isn't owned by anyone, but two neighbors both consider it part of their property. The cops stopped me, and demanded I take my hands out of my hoodie pockets. I did not hear them at first, so he screamed it again and got into a defensive position. I quickly raised my hands, holding the flash light, and went to put it back in my pocket so nothing was obstructing his view of my hands, so when I lowered my hands, he screamed again and got further in a defensive stance. He quickly rushed to me and demanded I turn around and get on my knees, hands on my head.

    Sounds like a bit much? No, I understand why they had to do that. If there was something in my pocket that I was reaching for, they are not allowed to take that chance. They are not allowed to assume that the situation is safe. I deserved the roughness I got, because I acted like a fool and did not fully comply. I apologized to them and went on about my business, the situation ended just fine. He told me to call my neighbor and explain to them who I am and that I have been walking that field for 20 years. Police are nice people, but they need to be rough to make sure the situation ends peacefully and in the favor of law enforcement, and I fully understand that. To refuse to comply would be ignorant.

  3. #3

    Default

    I'm generally ok with the police.

    Sure some are power tripping assholes, but I honestly believe the majority are in it to do some good. The news generally covers extremes, and when it comes to police, the extremes are usually bad. No one wants to hear about the huge number of people the police help every day, they want to hear about some poor dude getting pushed around by "the man".

    As for Ferguson, as an outside observer (I'm Canadian), it seems like that whole thing has just exploded to the point where the loudest people on both sides don't even care what originally happened any more.

  4. #4

    Default

    That man in the video was an idiot and that video will show who is really in the wrong. No it's not a crime to travel but just as long as you are driving, you need a license.

    I think the media makes it look bad than it really is and not all officers are that bad nor do they abuse their authority. Some do but not all of them. Plus there isn't always the full story so it may make it look like the cop was an asshat. I think it is important to teach your kids to obey the officer if they are stopped and do what they say. If you have any sort of medical condition that may make you look drunk or make it look like you are not complying, inform them or wear a medical bracelet and carry a card with you. I do feel for people who have a bad experience with them over a misunderstanding. Usually they are trained to look for who has a mental illness or a disability so they know the appropriate way of handling it. I also read on another forum to communicate with your officer. I sometimes keep my wallet in the diaper bag so it's in the backseat out of my reach. If I get pulled over and get asked for ID and registration, I would have to tell the officer mine is in the back so I need to go out and get it so he won't think I am trying to disobey and misread my actions.

    If you refuse to comply when they stop you, you are asking for trouble. Do not argue or try and understand why they are wanting you to do things and answer their questions, just do it. No time for logic or trying to be private about what you are doing and where you are going.

    Should I wear a medical bracelet? I don't get stopped by anyone and have no problems answering questions about what I am doing or where I am going and doing what they say but if I am so worried I could be stopped and worried me asking questions for more understanding what they want me to do may make them think I am not complying and that they may not be properly trained to tell the difference between disability or drunk or someone just trying to get out of getting a ticket or trying to stall or look for trouble, I could just tell them about my disability and having anxiety or carry a card with me or wear a bracelet for a situation that may never happen. I know some feel safer doing this even though it has never happened to them yet or feel safer doing it after one incident with a cop. IMO I don't think I need to wear a medical bracelet.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    While walking, I have been stopped by an officer before. I had to walk through a neighbors yard to get to the street because it's a very fast short cut to the central part of town, and I was using a flash light as it was around 1am, so she thought I was looking to break in. The "yard" is actually just a giant field that isn't owned by anyone, but two neighbors both consider it part of their property. The cops stopped me, and demanded I take my hands out of my hoodie pockets. I did not hear them at first, so he screamed it again and got into a defensive position. I quickly raised my hands, holding the flash light, and went to put it back in my pocket so nothing was obstructing his view of my hands, so when I lowered my hands, he screamed again and got further in a defensive stance. He quickly rushed to me and demanded I turn around and get on my knees, hands on my head.

    Sounds like a bit much? No, I understand why they had to do that. If there was something in my pocket that I was reaching for, they are not allowed to take that chance. They are not allowed to assume that the situation is safe. I deserved the roughness I got, because I acted like a fool and did not fully comply. I apologized to them and went on about my business, the situation ended just fine. He told me to call my neighbor and explain to them who I am and that I have been walking that field for 20 years. Police are nice people, but they need to be rough to make sure the situation ends peacefully and in the favor of law enforcement, and I fully understand that. To refuse to comply would be ignorant.
    "Turn around and get on your knees". "Now give me your pocket and your phone". That's practially the same... so it's a thug in a uniform, nothing else.

    It's Police brutality and over reaction solely and not being "rough". Although I guess some people do like that, but if so it belongs to their bedroom, and it needs to be safe, sane and consensual anyway.
    Anyway, it is certainly not the police alone being the law and being committed to fulfilling the task that we as a society entrust to them, based on the rule of law.
    This is for many reasons of course as lack of training, atmosphere of fear in general since 9/11 and a whole lot of dash board cams more prevalent. However it does portray America as getting out of control and not being protective.

    It's no surprise that some people react by being rough too, despite that they know it's getting them nowhere and they might just end up making the one good cop hating his job, while getting arrested legally.
    This matter at hand is a civil policing problem that can only be solved at local level within city and state communities.

    In any other country any officer would see himself on the other side after one incident that fast, he wouldn't even notice it until it's too late. It's just not possible, although of course it happens from time to time. But you'll end up discharged from police and arrested due do what kind of crime you've committed. And hurting some physically as also psychological terror is a crime.

    Furthermore it's even more ludicrous if you're looking at the numbers of bullets used. The german police uses around 90 bullets a year to keep the peace nationwide, which is the same amount as U.S. policemen need to take down one guy in some incidents.
    The best fact about is that the U.S. cannot even keep track of how many bullets they need in one year. And mind you, of those rounds used in germany, 50 are not even discharged at a suspect, being fired as warning shots. Of the remaining, 15 result in injuries and five-ten lead to fatalities.
    The British Police is even better with having fired just six shots in the 2009-10 figures. If you cut it down to even numbers it's one bullet for every citizen in germany and one for ten in Great Britain to keep the peace nationwide in one year, while the U.S. needs one bullet to keep 4 citizens safe in one incident.

    I guess the only thing that makes sense is that they need to fire that often, since in Britain only criminals have guns. But in the US, ALL the criminals have guns, and they know they have to use them.

    And for the record, Amnesty International estimates that more than 500 people have been killed by police using supposedly 'non-lethal' Tasers since 2001.
    Last edited by daLira; 02-Nov-2014 at 03:19.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by daLira View Post
    "Turn around and get on your knees". "Now give me your pocket and your phone". That's practially the same... so it's a thug in a uniform, nothing else.
    Where did you even come to that conclusion? I'm not paying attention to the rest of your post, because this first sentence was ridiculous.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    Where did you even come to that conclusion? I'm not paying attention to the rest of your post, because this first sentence was ridiculous.
    I'm not going to simplify it, just because you're unwilling to comprehend it.

    For future reference : http://www.forbes.com/2011/06/08/pro...orfeiture.html

  8. #8

    Default

    I will agree that civil property forfeiture is kinda scary and seems to be ripe for abuse.

    Like KuroCat though, I do understand the need to take on an aggressive stance in any potentially dangerous situation. If KuroCat did have a gun and the officer hadn't reacted to him reaching into a pocket, the officer may well have been shot. They go into these kind of unknown situations all the time. Not treating every suspect as dangerous would probably get a lot of cops killed.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by daLira View Post
    I'm not going to simplify it, just because you're unwilling to comprehend it.

    For future reference : http://www.forbes.com/2011/06/08/pro...orfeiture.html
    How does putting your hands behind your head and getting on your knees to ensure the safety of the law enforcement translate to thugs beating the hell out of you so they can get away with a crime?

    You made the claim, so why don't you sit there and explain it?

    If you're talking about law enforcement able to take property for whatever reason, then I can see the connection, but that doesn't really have to do with the section that you quoted me about, nor does it equal raising your hands in compliance with law enforcement so they may ensure their safety, as they are not "practically the same thing" that you claim.

    Taking one's property and arresting them may be comparable to a mugger taking one's possessions or assaulting/murdering them sure (although not as extreme) but your original sentence and claim are not one in the same, and as said above, the part you quoted of my post is really irrelevant to the claim you're making.
    Last edited by KuroCat; 02-Nov-2014 at 03:58.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    How does putting your hands behind your head and getting on your knees to ensure the safety of the law enforcement translate to thugs beating the hell out of you so they can get away with a crime?

    You made the claim, so why don't you sit there and explain it?
    How does putting your hands behind your head and getting on your knees ensure the safety of the law enforcement?

    It's a delusion, since anyone with a gun and the determination to shoot will do so. Beforehand if that person has no other plan.

    So it's just a chicane for any law-abiding citizen to ensure respect through fear.

Similar Threads

  1. The police
    By Snivy in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 223
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2014, 22:18
  2. Is there anyone here who is or was a police officer?
    By OmarLittle in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 13-Nov-2013, 15:46
  3. If you feel dumb today, read this and you'll feel better.
    By onecho in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2011, 11:01
  4. Just another example of police incompetence...
    By Varys in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2010, 22:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.