Thread: Suitsy

Default Suitsy

Has anyone else heard about this? I just saw it today. It's a business suit onesie.

http://www.betabrand.com/mens-busine...ie-hybrid.html

They're the folks behind the dress pant sweat pants, too. "Bedroom comfort, boardroom style." I hadn't seen this one yet. Generally, though, things like this drive me nuts. They look exactly like what they are-a onesie shaped like a suit, which is to say, terrible. A good suit looks good. A bad or ill-fitted suit looks terrible. A suit that's not even a suit should be burned, and I'll leave it as an open question whether someone with the taste to buy such a thing should be burned with the suit (this comment is only for dramatic effect and is not to be taken as a statement that we should be burning people alive). As a joke or around the house, sure, this could be amusing, but if People of Walmart and crocs have taught us anything, these will become acceptable public attire, much to the detriment of humanity.

What's doubly funny is that well-fitted and well-made semi-formal clothing (such as business suits, dress shirts, and the like; formal clothing is black tie and white tie) is actually very comfortable. The trouble is that very few people have well-fitted and well-made semi-formal clothing, so they hate it and think it's uncomfortable. A properly fitted shirt with a tie is as comfortable at the end of the day as it is at the beginning.

Oh wow! That's amazing! Okay, it doesn't look like a really sharp business suit, but it does look "smart enough" (I wonder whether the illusion would be maintained if I saw one in real life). I'd love one for work -- it looks cosy and comfortable.

I hate suits, I hate shirts, and I detest ties, no matter how well-fitted they are. Shirts should be illegal. We just don't need them any more. And ties should never have existed in the first place. And smart leather shoes with slippery soles?! Burn anyone who thinks they are sufficiently comfortable!!! And why, oh why, in this day and age must I wear garments that I cannot wash?! Dry cleaning costs a fortune!

If I could throw out my lounge suits and wear a Suitsy instead, I'd be very happy. I wonder how much one would cost...

Pros: Not having to put your jacket and trousers on separately. You can do both at once and save 7 seconds!
    Cons: Everything else.

Seriously though, whilst I like onesies and I like suits, the two things were never meant to combine - like those awful t-shirts which were supposed to look like a Tuxedo. I honestly can't think of anywhere I'd wear a suit onesie. I think it would look naff and lazy in the workplace, and if I'm wearing a onesie at home, I'd rather wear something with a bright or cute print than something which reminds me of the workday.

Fashion is one of the few things I'm knowledgeable about, and I'd say the material looks remarkably cheap for $300+. Yeah. I wouldn't buy it, and I can't imagine anyone who bought it getting their money's worth out of this baffling onesuit (that's a word, right?).

Cute idea, though it would never work for me. Some lawyers get agitated if you wear a slim cut jacket instead of a more full cut one. I did not enter a profession with liberal fashion sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Cute idea, though it would never work for me. Some lawyers get agitated if you wear a slim cut jacket instead of a more full cut one. I did not enter a profession with liberal fashion sense.
    This ties into my commentary earlier about good suits looking good, bad or ill-fitted suits looking bad. Anyone who knows anything about men's wear will see this for what it is and judge you accordingly. The ones who don't know anything about men's wear will go around looking terrible as they naturally would anyway. If you're in a profession where you have to wear a suit, chances are good you'll be around people sufficiently knowledgeable about suits to mock you behind your back.

There's a part of me that wants to accept it as a laugh, on some level of humor. At least the tuxedo t-shirts have that going for them, if only just. I just can't figure out any situation where this garment would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    There's a part of me that wants to accept it as a laugh, on some level of humor. At least the tuxedo t-shirts have that going for them, if only just. I just can't figure out any situation where this garment would make sense.
    The first time I saw a tuxedo t-shirt, I smiled and maybe laughed for a second. But they were commonplace enough to get old quickly, and once the novelty very quickly wore off, they just looked stupid and, obviously, unstylish.

If I thought the Suitsy was essentially a comedy product I would have taken a kinder view of it. But it seems to be advertised as a genuine replacement for a suit. You don't need a suit-substitute. You need a decent suit which looks good and fits properly. Simple as.

This ties into my commentary earlier about good suits looking good, bad or ill-fitted suits looking bad. Anyone who knows anything about men's wear will see this for what it is and judge you accordingly. The ones who don't know anything about men's wear will go around looking terrible as they naturally would anyway. If you're in a profession where you have to wear a suit, chances are good you'll be around people sufficiently knowledgeable about suits to mock you behind your back.
    Well, I couldn't care less if people who "know" about suits "judge" or "mock" me. Someone who is so concerned about others' appearances probably has some deep-seated insecurity or fear of being judged on their own appearance. If anything, the very fact that I was wearing a Suity would mean that I'd be mocking them and their need to dress in such an arbitrarily formalised way. I like subversion, and just wearing a Suity to look "smart" (*ahem*) would feel like a subversive act!

It reminds me of my uncle. He found out days before his brother's wedding (to a woman with a more "formal" and socially rigid family) that he would be expected to a bow tie to dinner. In typical Smith-family-style, he cut a giant bow-tie out of cardboard, wrapped it in tin-foil, and attached that to his shirt! The bride's family were not impressed! Ha ha! As if it should matter what you wear amongst family! They should've been thankful he was there at all (and for giving them a chuckle at his don't-give-a-fuckness)!

Of course, I understand the social custom to look professional if you're dealing with clients, etc. (And I'm not at all convinced that the Suity would be the answer there!) But, for dealing with the counter-productive expectation that you should come to work in a suit in a private office with people you know well and have no need to sartorially impress... well... the Suity looks ideal!

Oh -- you've got to laugh at it! It's definitely supposed to be a comedy product. And there probably aren't really many situations when it would "make sense"... but... (am I blind?! do I need a new monitor?!)... It does actually look quite good. I mean... it seems to give a better impression than jeans and a t-shirt...

But if we could just start by banning "traditional" leather shoes... and ties... and get rid of uncomfortable shirts with starchy strangulating collars... I'd be happy to wear a smart jacket and trousers (although I'd be grumpy about the cost and inconvenience of dry cleaning). And hats should be relegated to the history books! I can never find one to fit my narrow yet overly-elongated head!

I think, if you have class, sophistication and manners, your dress is unimportant... so long as you're clean and tidy.