Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Aging Mental?

Default Is Aging Mental?

I was reading a really interesting New York Times article today. What if Age is Nothing but a Mind-Set?

It explores a bunch of elderly people in a psychology experiment who were treated as if they were younger and had their environment changed to be like the world from 20 years before the present. And, although it's not fully scientific, it did seem to have results with a lot of them, making them stronger and more active.

Which gets me to wondering how that applies to ABDL. Do you think that imaging yourself as a baby contributes to being more childish? Or are we childish because we have ABDL desires? Does it actually make us healthier and happier to imagine ourselves very young? Does it, conversely, have some bad effects like increasing irrational fears and dependence on others?

I think being ABDL can help sustain a sense of wonder at all the amazing, beautiful, crazy things in the world, and a desire to learn more about them.

I believe that ABDL desires are ingrained in the majority of us from a young age, so we enjoy things which are childlike because we're ABDL. I use that word instead of childish, because I think 'childlike' explains the mental sense of wonder and relaxation we sometimes experience as ABs/Littles, whereas 'childish' is more a euphemism for bratty or selfish behaviour.

Our aging is, to a large extent, mental. I felt younger than my age for most of the time I was a kid, because I still liked toys and TV shows which were aimed at younger kids, and due to my disability, I needed to be looked after in the way a smaller child might. However, when my Mom died, I very quickly felt old. I went through a lot of reactions and emotions with that grief which made no sense to other people of my age, most of whom had had no experience of that kind of loss. I became introspective and felt less like a kid, and more like an adult, because my friends couldn't relate, but my Dad's friends empathised with what I was going through - so I felt more like I was one of them.

In terms of whether ABDL is good for us mentally, I think it depends on an individual basis. I personally find that my Little side usually makes me happier, has helped me become more understanding of others (we're all different!) and given me an outlet other than anger or alcohol for when I'm really stressed. I think the main thing people have found difficult with ABDL in a mental sense, is feeling that it's wrong, and dealing with society's idea that acting younger than your biological age is unnatural. The article you linked, ArchieRoni, shows that even those with the most conservative ideas about 'acting your age' can become younger under the right conditions!

Default This notion is not new, even in Western consciensioness, thanks to Dr. Depak Chopra

This is a great topic; although the notion has been around for centuries, it took a medical doctor to promote these ideas and bring them to wide acceptance in Western Culture.

Being born the baby of the family, I probably personally benefited and have embraced these concepts almost entrensicly. I was into childlike behaviors long after my childhood peers abandoned them. I was playing pretend, watching cartoons and charishing and playing with toys well into my teens.

As I began college I went through a persistant Winnie the Pooh period. I even had a girl in my dorm hand embroider the image of Winnie the Pooh (pretending to be a cloud floating through the air holding a bunch of balloons on strings, remember?) on a button up all wool union suit (long johns).

These were the closest thing I could find to adult sized footed sleepers in the early 1970's , but still had the button up "trap door" behind the bottom. on the seat of the long underwear. If I left the building, I would wear these under my Britainnia Blue Jeans, and can recall being called "faggot' more than once by other guys.Most of the girls I knew thought it was endearing. In the dorm, I would sometimes wear just the long johns and a pair of slippers.

I was carded for being served alcohol, well into my early thirties because of my "baby-face".

I can remember when my first son was born, being so excited that once again, playing pretend, watching cartoons and playing with toys would be more than socially appropriate and acceptable: I would be viewed as the "sensitive male of the 80's" and a role model nurturing father.

To this day, my doe rabbit (wife) and I have an extensive collection of vintage cartoons on dvd that we intersperse with other movies and series that we watch on our TV.

You can purchase and read the book here:
    Last edited by Diapered Rabbit; 28-Oct-2014 at 10:29.

For me mentally considering myself younger is my way of coping with and enjoying my daily life.

For me, I'm living by the motto, age is merely a number. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter and hakuna matata. I agree fully on what you've said on you last paragraph. Thank you for having this up!

I think there's something to this.

In my own life, I could feel a definite change after I went back to school/university. I was 29, and I was the oldest person in my class but for one gentleman in his 40s. The bulk of the class were mid-20-somethings, 23-25 mostly. I had been in the corporate world for eight years before then, whereas most of my class had either done a year or two of internship/temp stuff or had come straight from undergrad. I was walking around a university campus filled with 18-25 year olds, and they looked so young! There were occasions I'd be looking around and suddenly feel a bit dirty, like I'd just looked at a kid, even though I knew I was looking at 18-year-olds. Part way through the first semester, I turned 30.

And then, boom. Suddenly, I felt like I'd just aged several years all at once. When I first got there, I felt a bit like an elder statesman. Then, I just felt old and out of place. I felt like I had lost a bunch of time. I felt like I had lost my forward momentum. I felt like an anachronism, out of date and out of place.

Running up to going back to school, I still felt younger. I had recovered from my accident, which basically put my life on hold for two years. I was by 10 years the youngest person in my department. Mr. Aurkarm and I had only been living together for a year before I went back to school, so I was just getting into the "settled adult" mode.

It took me awhile to get back to feeling like I was moving forward (despite going through school and actually moving forward), to find my new place in the Universe. I've just finally started to get my ABDL desires back with any significant frequency after roughly three years of them being nearly completely absent. The thing is, though, I still feel older. I've been done with undergrad for over 10 years now, and while I think back on that time with fondness, there's no going back. There's no recreating that feeling or that time. I've watched as some of my group of friends have really done nothing significant over the last 10 years and have basically remained at the same state they were in their early 20s when I met them. I think on those days with fondness, but there's no going back.

And I'm finally starting to accept that that's ok. I didn't think I'd ever be one to get hung up on aging, and then it happened. I honestly believe that in my case, it was a combination of the way the events of my life happened, that had they happened in a different sequence or some had/had not happened it would not have hit me like it did.

I suppose some of this whole aging thing is the difference between putting limits on one's self, i.e. saying you can't do X because you're Y years old, and accepting that you can't go back or stay in place (e.g. the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite). I dunno, though. I mean, I feel like I can do everything I could do 10 years ago and so much more. I can see possibilities now that I could not possibly conceived of 10 years ago. Some of that has to come with an acceptance that I am 10 years older, but as long as I don't stop trying because I'm 32 years old instead of 22 years old, then I think I'll be ok.

And who knows, chances are good that's all in my mind, too.

Aging is a mental thing and I sometimes forget my age and I seriously have to keep reminding myself that I am 23. When I am regressing and being little I my mind is on 4 year old who still wear diapers and drinks from a bottle.
    I think that we are childish because we are AB/DL. I had AB/DL tendencies when I was younger because I always slept with a plushie or a stuffed animal until my parents took them away from me and gave them away when I was deemed too old for them, and I hated that. I remember one night just as I got into bed my mom walked up and just took my plushie away because she told me I was too old for it and I had to be the saddest boy in the world that night.
    Wearing diapers and cuddling with plushies is my way of relaxing and relieving stress, along with doing childlike activities.

At 55 age is felt in the bones and joints but not so bad that I can't do the things I want to do but more importantly my mind set is still rooted in my early teens.

Age is a mindset, to a point...

I feel I'm young at heart...and usually act young even childish...

But after going through a car windshield...that took quite a few years off the body...

Back in my 20's I was invincible...and I tested it quite a bit at both work and play...

I've wrecked cars, motorcycles, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, race cars, even crashed and airplane (well it wasn't fly able again)...all was good...

Then a real accident I aged from 20's invincible, to being a good day if I get outside the house...a real good day, like today, where I even did something...and usually just trying to remember yesterday or even an hour ago!

So, in all, age is a mindset...but your mind can be swayed via pain

I'm still a kid, and will always be that way...but I have a handicap parking permit, wheelchair, walker, and cane...lalthough I try to forget them as much as I can!

Stay young forever!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    Which gets me to wondering how that applies to ABDL. Do you think that imaging yourself as a baby contributes to being more childish? Or are we childish because we have ABDL desires? Does it actually make us healthier and happier to imagine ourselves very young? Does it, conversely, have some bad effects like increasing irrational fears and dependence on others? .
    I've wondered about this and decided it's the which came first, the chicken or the egg? I believe in the latter, that for many or most of us, we may have childish behaviors, or a more infantalist outlook because we are AB/DL. I knew I wanted back in diapers by the time I was four, and was acting upon it by the age of six, so I believe whatever contributed to my diaper fetish was something that happened in my early development. Thus, how I see the world was also shaped in the early part of my life.

I still have a sense of wonder to the world around me, and much of it I don't take for granted. I think this is why I love to go biking in the woods, or walking. When I was very young, pre-school, my mom went back to work and I stayed with my grandmother. She was a wonderful person. At that time she was living along Toms River, well know in the Jersey Shore TV series. We would go for what seemed like a very long walk along the river. She would point out different kinds of wild flowers, etc. I still have that child-like sense of wonder. The natural world is an amazing place.

I'm 66 years old, but I don't feel that old at all. I stay active. I take care of my diabetic wife with quite a bit of energy and a sense of joy and well being. Like some others on this site, I always looked young, and I too would get carded at the age of 30. I've always seen myself as a child, and I refuse to give into age.

I think as long as your health holds out, age is fluid. It's true that you're as old as you feel. We all know some significantly older people who simply don't act it. They enjoy life and seem to thrive in it. They laugh, make jokes, enjoy eating out, even if they walk gingerly. There's a lot to be said about one's attitude.