Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the problem?

Question What is the problem?

I know that being a brony isn't exactly "cool", but I am not sure why people can't just leave us alone? I really don't understand it. I know I know I am not supposed to feed the parasprites, but I mean seriously? I don't understand it. Why are so many people against bronies? How do you feel about bronies?

I dunno. I mean, whatever floats your boat. I've watched a couple episodes of the show. It was ok, but I didn't really get what all the hullabaloo was about. Oh well.

Don't let them get you down.

I think liking My Little Pony is a little immature, but if that's okay with you then more power to you. I'm not going to criticize you because you like a TV show.

My little pony is ok.

Just waiting on Season.5 so just surfing through the fan-art.

I think all the bright pink rainbow sparkly goodness draws attention, and where there is attention there are trolls.

I love My Little Pony, personally. I think the characters are engaging and the general sincerity and joy that it expresses is uplifting.

People get annoyed though because it gets shoved in their face. Pony fans these days are pretty chill, but there was a period where people were finding it pretty annoying and pony stuff was showing up everywhere and entirely out of context. Avatars are fine, but, like, imagine that in every thread on every topic, people were making constant Battlestar Galactica references and posting images of Cylons all the time. It's a great show, but it would wear thin after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BronyPony14 View Post
    I know that being a brony isn't exactly "cool", but I am not sure why people can't just leave us alone? I really don't understand it. I know I know I am not supposed to feed the parasprites, but I mean seriously? I don't understand it. Why are so many people against bronies? How do you feel about bronies?
    Basically... it's just another example of what people don't understand... they won't be able to see or appreciate it the way you do, and so they find it disturbing or threatening...

And too... I would guess that it has something to do with opposing the social-constructs of what a man is supposed to be, and then further... what being grown-up/mature is supposed to be...

Perhaps it's even a bit of jealousy on their part... or for some, their own insecurities...

Or their fear that you may not be able to provide or defend for yourself or others... as perhaps a pack instinct to harden, or push out the perceived weak-links...

I don't know, but I think it's more of the symbolic issues rather than anything tangible...

I don't have a particular opinion either way... I don't think I've watched more than a few seconds of MLP...

And this type of social entanglement, isn't limited to Bronies as you likely know...

Generally, as you become more comfortable with yourself; you'll gain a competence, and a confidence that starts to carry you... and you tend to get more respect then... The more you accept yourself, the more likely you are to be accepted... probably why it doesn't work so well or often to rely on getting the respect from others, so that you can respect yourself... Goes along with that validation thingy...

Try not to take it to heart!

My best, and respectfully,
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    I would guess that it has something to do with opposing the social-constructs of what a man is supposed to be, and then further... what being grown-up/mature is supposed to be...

Perhaps it's even a bit of jealousy on their part... or for some, their own insecurities...

Or their fear that you may not be able to provide or defend for yourself or others... as perhaps a pack instinct to harden, or push out the perceived weak-links...
    It is absolutely none of these things.

Bronies get a lot of flak because of this kid.

Bur seriously, ArchieRoni so far has put it the best way, which kind of reminds me of my Animaniacs worship years: I was always unnecessarily shoving references to the show into everyday conversation because it was 2005 and I wanted to be the special snowflake that was into a 90's slapstick cartoon instead of anime or Family Guy like everyone else. I was a special snowflake, alright, but not the good kind. The point is, people won't judge you for what you like, but people will judge you for shoving stuff in their face that doesn't interest them. And even if it does interest them, it can still get excessive.
    Last edited by ClandestineWing; 28-Oct-2014 at 07:07.

I've watched the show and never really got into it. I like old school better. I don't understand the fuss about it or the hate. Only thing I see about it is the merchandise and the avatars.

I don't see an issue with being a Brony - one of my best mates is, and it doesn't remotely change my opinion of him. That said, I think Bronies are a group with a warranted reputation for having a minority of really annoying individuals who take the whole obsession to an absurd level (talking about being in love with particular ponies from the show), and insert annoying references to MLP into every topic - no matter how irrelevant it is to the discussion.

The OP is, like most Bronies, a fairly normal guy who happens to like the show a lot. If every Brony was like that, I doubt the group as a whole would have an image problem.