Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An alarming situation

Default An alarming situation

For a little over a year ive been experiencing urge incontinence however ive had no instances of bedwetting. Every night i stop drinking liquids at least 2 to 3 hours before going to sleep and even then i still end up getting up to use the bathroom several times before i can fall asleep and even then i will still sometimes wake up having to use the bathroom.(as you can probably tell my bladder sucks)
    So anyway this morning i was having a dream and as i awoke it took me few seconds but i realised i was peeing it stopped after a second and i ran to the bathroom once i got to the bathroom i had some slight difficulty urinating but still emptied what remained in my bladder.
    The amount that had emptied involuntarily wasnt much thankfully none got on my bedding but i had still wet the front of my boxers.
    This is the closest thing ive had to bedwetting in over a decade do you think i should be worried?
    (For further details on my incon i can usually make it during the day but end up having anywhere between 2 to 5 accidents on average. i urinate rather frequently i dont wear "protection" and i am soon going to be starting on ditropan)
    If you have any questions feel free to ask i appreciate any response.

Was Ditropan prescribed or did you buy it over the counter? There can be a big difference over this medication.

If yes, what was it prescribed for?

Ditropan was prescribed by my urologist for the urge incontinence but i have not begun taking it yet

Under the circumstances, I would wear protection, but of course, many of us would say that. To that, I apologize. It just seems like a reasonable thing to do until you know if the medication is going to work. I wish you well and hope it does work for you without any undesirable side affects.

Alright saix. I noticed on that other thread that you where seeing a urologist about urinary incontinence issues. I think you should know that diapers are most likely a better alternative then that ditropan. Ditropan may very well worsen your urinary incontinence symptoms years later down the road. Diapers will not have potentially serious side effects. I know it can be embarrassing to have to wear diapers but the ditropan could actually make things even worse. Usually medications for incontinence are not a healthy thing to do in order to deal with bladder leakage issues. I myself am incontinent with symptoms very similiar to yours actually and I am seeing a urologist this week to find out what is going on. If you want to try medications to treat this that is of course your prerogative and I will respect that choice. However you should not be ashamed to have to need to wear diapers for medical reasons and they are easily concealed actually. In fact I just spent the whole day surrounded by people in a noisy plastic backed diaper and no one noticed even while I was having a accident.

One of the reasons why adult diapers even exist is because they are a much safer alternative to medications as diapers have absolutely no side effects except maybe the potential for rash that is easily taken care of with non hazardous skin treatments. I know you don't want to hear about this but I cannot in good conscious recommend that you use medications to treat this knowing what kinds of side effects the medications can cause without at least informing you about this. It's up to you to decide on what to do about this of course.

I dont have the option of diapers
    I still live with my parents and they are against the idea of diapers not only that but diapers are expensive and i have no money whereas the medication is covered
    My urologist said to try the medication for a while to see if it helps at all with the incontinence and at some point in the next few months im going to get a cystoscopy done to see if they can find anything
    Just in case anyone is wondering the ditropan is 5mg

Quote Originally Posted by saix View Post
    I dont have the option of diapers
    I still live with my parents and they are against the idea of diapers not only that but diapers are expensive and i have no money whereas the medication is covered
    My urologist said to try the medication for a while to see if it helps at all with the incontinence and at some point in the next few months im going to get a cystoscopy done to see if they can find anything
    Just in case anyone is wondering the ditropan is 5mg
    Since you have insurance you could get coverage for diapers (I know I do). I just suspect no one wanted to inform you of this that's all. As for your parents well it's possibly going to either be a mess of their house as you do not have full control over that whether any of you like it or not or the diapers. You see incontinence is surprisingly persistent and chances are good this is something you might have to live with for quite a while. I know either yourself or your parents don't want to hear this but that is the reality of the situation and it sounds like they believe that this is the end of the world when it is not. Basically go online and look at the side effects of the ditropan or even look at the side effects written on the brochure that comes with the ditropan. Chances are the side effects could very well be way worse then the diapers. If your parents care about you which is most likely the case they should know that this is quite serious. What you do with this is of course your choice to make and I will respect that. But so should your parents as well as this could very well effect your health for the rest of your life negatively. It is their house but this is your health and you are a adult and have the right to make your own decisions about this as well.

I am not saying to move out or anything that drastic. But sit down with your parents and inform them after you have researched the side effects of the ditropan how serious this could get. Basically talk to your doctor about what can go wrong and show your parents how serious this could get. Then compare that to the social stigma of wearing diapers. Would suffering the side effects actually be worth it despite the social implications of this? Again what you do with this information is your decision to make and no one else's and I will respect that decision.

Im in australia and i only have medicare so im not too sure that coverage for diapers is possible
    Im going to at least try the ditropan and if i experience any serious side effects i will discontinue use
    For now all i can do is take the meds and wait for the cystoscopy after that i will consult with my urologist again and then i probably will ask him about coverage for diapers
    However when i last saw him i asked about his opinion on diapers and his answer was that they were quite expensive and should therefore be a last resort of sorts

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to mention that when i last saw my urologist i asked about side effects and was told that less than 5percent of people experience them on ditropan
    And since i didnt mention it earlier i recently had an ultrasound and once i had emptied my bladder i was told that there was still a noticeable amount remaining

Quote Originally Posted by saix View Post
    Im in australia and i only have medicare so im not too sure that coverage for diapers is possible
    Im going to at least try the ditropan and if i experience any serious side effects i will discontinue use
    For now all i can do is take the meds and wait for the cystoscopy after that i will consult with my urologist again and then i probably will ask him about coverage for diapers
    However when i last saw him i asked about his opinion on diapers and his answer was that they were quite expensive and should therefore be a last resort of sorts

- - - Updated - - -

I also want to mention that when i last saw my urologist i asked about side effects and was told that less than 5percent of people experience them on ditropan
    And since i didnt mention it earlier i recently had an ultrasound and once i had emptied my bladder i was told that there was still a noticeable amount remaining
    Very well that is your decision. I will respect it of course as I said. Of course diapers should be a last resort. I was just thinking that you would take the ditropan even when it is a bad idea to take it because of the social stigma surrounding diapers. At some point if the ditropan does in fact work for you then ask your doctor about the long term effects of taking this as well because that is where most incontinence medication problems take place. It's not going to be overnight but if for some reason these problems persist you might be taking that for years and just not realize it yet that's all. That being said it's alright to not want to use diapers if you think you can live healthy without them.

Based upon what I know of your situation and from the symptoms your describing you appear to have a enlarged prostate. This could be caused by any number of things of course and in fact I myself happen to have the same issues as well and ironically I am seeing the urologist tomorrow morning to look into that. (provided of course if it really is a enlarged prostate which I could be dead wrong about) Just do yourself a favor and don't rule out any options to handle IC issues because whatever choices you make they are extremely likely to effect you for the rest of your life for good or ill. It's not my place or anyone else's place to make decisions of that nature for you of course and I simply wanted to advise you of these things because the results could be tragic in varying degrees depending on how things turn out. By the way medicare does not in fact cover incontinence supplies because I happen to have medicare myself. On the other hand Medicaid does in fact cover for that provided your eligible for that but I somehow suspect that your not eligible for Medicaid correct? I would recommend that you take your time with any decisions until after you have taken a look at all the options first in some way shape or form. Thank you for your time and patience and I hope you will be alright in the end.

I personally would have no problem wearing diapers for my condition however for the time being it is not an option perhaps in the long term I will look into it depending on how things go.
    At the moment all i want to do is manage my incontinence as best as I can I have been basically agoraphobic due to it for quite some time.
    I will probably start taking the medication sometime within the next week however if i experience any severe effects i will stop taking it
    An enlarged prostate is possible however when I was given a prostate exam the urologist did not note anything abnormal but some of the symptoms I have may point towards something like that (burning and several others)
    Following my cystoscopy I will talk with my urologist about a number of things including the medication and i will probably make another post following all that.
    I appreciate the posts and advice feel free to say or ask anything I appreciate the input.
    If anyone has anything I should probably ask my urologist about feel free to mention it id appreciate it