Thread: Language as mental protection

Question Language as mental protection

Hi ADISC!

I was thinking the other day about the purpose of language and I realized something that I wished to share with you all and ask your opinion about.

I might take me a while to come around to the question but I’d like to give some context first.

Living in Canada, I primarily speak two languages: French and English (French being native to me). Interestingly, I’ve noticed that, on many occasions, I tend to prefer English when discussing the subject of ABDL (Whether vocally or in writing) as I seem to be much more comfortable with it then.

An example of this would be when I spoke of my ABDL side with my psychologist. As a psychologist, she was very supportive and understanding toward me and my feelings, however, even when I felt really comfortable talking about it with her, I’d have a really hard time expressing myself in French. It was as though there was some sort of mental blockage preventing me from easily expressing myself up and until I would switch in English, whereas I’d then feel completely free to speak with her of the subject.

Furthermore, (also in an ABDL context) I’ve always felt that some words were, for lack of a better word, “naughtier” (not necessarily in a sexual sense) in my native language than in English. The word “diaper” for example, feels to me way less naughty than its French equivalent: “couche”.

This led me to think about reasons behind this metal dam: is it because I haven’t fully accepted who I am yet? Is it the result of subconscious shame? I however could not come to any meaningful answers. What do you think?

Also, I was wondering, have any of you ever experienced the same thing? If so, how did it feel and how did you deal with it?

I thank you all in advance for your answers and I look forward to the discussion,

PS: I didn't really know in which category to post this thread so, if you have any suggestion about a better place for it, don't be afraid to suggest it.

I think you're probably onto something. I'm essentially monolingual (French class didn't take me that far) but it didn't take me long to notice how my British friends had a different word for diapers and often preferred to use "diapers" in casual conversation because it wasn't so emotionally loaded. I don't know that I'd have any easier time explaining a nappy fetish to someone than using diapers but that word holds no particular charge for me. I can only imagine the emotional effect of having a whole separate vocabulary available for substantive discussion. It wouldn't help me to brush up on my French unless I was going to try to explain it to a monolingual French speaker, so I'm not likely to see this one in action personally.