Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New feelings of crossdressing :o

Default New feelings of crossdressing :o

Hey there!

I guess I should start with a few things. 1: I've been pretty sure of my sexuality since I was about sixteen, 2: I've always identified as a man and I don't know how I could live without my, well, stuff, 3: I've suffered from depression for many, many years and have just now started medication (sertraline) for the very first time.

Ever since I've been on this medication, I've had more urges to cross-dress. It's a bit odd, haha. And nothing particularly extravagant even. Just dressing up like an ordinary-looking girl. And maybe sometimes, a pretty dress and my padding.

I suppose I'm just wondering if this is something I should fully embrace or if I should worry that my depression medication is affecting my personality too much. I'm not too worried, myself, and I think exploring this could be fun. But there's that little tick in the back of my brain thinking that when I was facing my depression just a few months ago, I never felt these feelings. You get what I'm saying?

Thanks for reading guys. Hope you all are well!
    Cheers.

As for #2, just because you want to keep your "stuff" doesn't mean you necessarily have to identify as a man all the time. There are people who are genderfluid who do not get sexual reassignment surgery and flip between being boy or girl, mentally. Maybe without the depression clouding your mind you have a better time focusing on finding things that make you feel more yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonApples View Post
    Hey there!

I guess I should start with a few things. 1: I've been pretty sure of my sexuality since I was about sixteen, 2: I've always identified as a man and I don't know how I could live without my, well, stuff, 3: I've suffered from depression for many, many years and have just now started medication (sertraline) for the very first time.

Ever since I've been on this medication, I've had more urges to cross-dress. It's a bit odd, haha. And nothing particularly extravagant even. Just dressing up like an ordinary-looking girl. And maybe sometimes, a pretty dress and my padding.

I suppose I'm just wondering if this is something I should fully embrace or if I should worry that my depression medication is affecting my personality too much. I'm not too worried, myself, and I think exploring this could be fun. But there's that little tick in the back of my brain thinking that when I was facing my depression just a few months ago, I never felt these feelings. You get what I'm saying?

Thanks for reading guys. Hope you all are well!
    Cheers.
    Basically, what FeekaDimension said CinnamonApples...

It could very well be, that the medication has allowed these other things through... rather than creating them...

Either way, not being depressed... is always a good start... and like you say, yes it can be quite fun... it is liberating too...

Also, depression takes from you... so no doubt you weren't feeling this then... part of your depression could have come from this part of you being suppressed... even if subconsciously...

Anyone's guess, but not being depressed will afford you the most opportunity...!

Cheers, and good day!
    -Marka

Do not confuse the desire to crossdress as necessarily being a desire to "not be a man." It may be that you have a desire to be a woman, or you may have a desire to just be forced into things feminine as a male.

Whatever it is, I'd not worry about it as long is it's not interfering with your life. If you want to sleep in lingerie, or wear panties, or whatever that's not going to outwardly affect you, feel free to do so.

If you're working with a psychologist or psychiatrist, you might bring it up. Various drugs have interesting side affects. As Marka said, it's possible that the drug has lowered some inhibitions.

I'll add this:
    When I was 14, I got hit by a car doing 40 mph. Besides breaking both bones in my lower leg, it also hit my head hard enough to leave a permanent dent. After I recovered, almost a year later, I found that I was becoming attracted to boys, my friends and classmates, to some degree. I had never been attracted to the same sex, and yet, little by little, these desires began to intensify. I was never sure if it was because of possible brain damage, or because I was 14, and then 15 years of age, puberty having its way with me.

For that reason, it's possible your medication could be altering some feelings, though I tend to side with Marka.

I agree with dogboy - I think you should talk to the person who prescribed the drug to you. All drugs have some side effects and your change in feelings may be due to the drug. It is best to know what the side effects are and how much it may change you and whether you can accept the changes or not.

On the other hand, it could be just a coincidence. In this case, as others have said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just enjoy it (as long as you do not take it too extreme).

I guess I should have said this in my first post, but what I said is only something for you to consider, not that an interest in female clothes guarantees you're going to become genderfluid or anything. You could just be interested in women's clothing. I'm CIS and I sometimes wear men's clothes because I feel like it.

You might wanna check in thrift stores and see what women's clothing looks like on you, if you like the feel of it and so forth. In any case as long as it's not dominating your life, like others have said, there's nothing to worry about.

I doubt wanting to cross-dress has anything to do with the medication. I'm on sertraline too (for OCD), and one of its effects is that it gradually brings an increased level of confidence to people who have had regular self-doubts and often chaotic thought patterns. One of those things that comes with confidence - medically assisted or not - is an ability to live out things your anxious brain would otherwise have scared you away from as 'risky' behaviours.

Desires to do anything (this is universal, not limited to cross-dressing) can be heightened by medication which affects your cognitive process, but these desires will very likely have been in your brain before you were on Sertraline, but a natural fear will have forced your brain to manifest these thoughts into something different.

One example of this is that I was convinced for a long time that I was afraid of what happened after I die. Once I was on Sertraline, and had CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), it emerged that my brain was using a more general issue to mask the fact I had unresolved feelings and thoughts about my mother's death. I imagine it might work in a similar way with vague but strong anxieties about sex or sexuality, which appear more clearly once your brain is in a stable enough place to deal with the actual issue itself - in your case, a desire to cross-dress (or at least experiment with cross-dressing).

I can't speak as to why cross-dressing urges might come up suddenly, but I do know that there's nothing wrong with experimenting a bit. You can always buy a dress and give it a try, and donate it to a thrift store if you decide you don't like it. As long as you're discreet, it's safe and you might find it fun. Hope you're able to find some answers!

When I was facing depression, I found I never wanted to do anything. Depression suppresses and kills motivation. Maybe having a stabilized brain chemistry is simply allowing what's already there to flourish? Who knows. I know I never indulged in diapers until my depression was under control.

If you have a safe environment to experiment, I say go for it.