Thread: An embarrassingly stupid question about tapes...

Question An embarrassingly stupid question about tapes...

...how do I apply a tape, but make it have a cloth like dull finish? I know normal tapes are applied with clear shipping tape, but for this particular diaper, I need a cloth like finish as the outer shell is cloth. I assume it is a cut down the waistband and then some complex sealing/taping, but I have no clue as to how I would do it past step 1? Also, could somebody who is an artist PLEASE make some PB&J Otter tapes, I hope I'm not asking too much!

Not quite sure what you are asking, are you talking about applying tape over the diaper tapes? Typically on a cloth diaper, packing tapes don't work so well. I tend to use one of my themed duct tapes, I don't think one could have any kind of cloth backing on that unless you then use spray adhesive with something else like the front off a baby diaper or something like that.

Can you re-type what you said. I'm thinking your talking about putting tapes on cloth diapers. I'm at a stand still :3

If you want to decorate the front of a cloth-style diaper without affecting the performance of the tapes, try this: Find a scrapbooking store in your area and buy some cute baby-themed rubber stamps and pastel inks. Use these to stamp the front of your diaper. Don't bother trying to tape stuff onto the cloth-like backing. I'm sure there's some complicated method for doing this, and it probably involves cannibalizing other diapers, and you'd probably do it one time and be like, "F--- that!"

Ok, I am talking about applying tapes to cloth BACKED diapers, not actual cloth diapers, disposable diapers with a cloth like cover. Basically, I want to apply the tape to a cloth backed diaper, but I want it to have the cloth like feel, not the feel of packing tape. I assume it involves making a slit and somehow adhearing the tape under the outer cover, but I don't know how to do that, if I figure it out, I'll make a guide with pictures.

Yeah, I got the idea, but I don't think you'll find a universal method outside of inking. The cloth-style adult diapers I've tried have varied a lot in their construction -- just like the baby kind. Ever tried to lift the cloth-like cover on Huggies diapers? You can't. On Pampers, though, it comes right off. The Huggies-like non-removable covers seem to be more common.

I think I have an idea, but you might not like it. Go out and buy Pampers or Luvs (Luvs should be cheaper) Size 6 (to make sure you have enough material. Pull off the cloth backing and cut it to the shape of your tape. Use your choice of adhesive to adhere the cloth-like cover to the custom tape, then stick the tape on the cloth-backed diaper. You shouldn't have too much difficulty with this, but it personally seems like too much work when it would be easier just to have the plastic-y finish and use some cute or transparent duct tape to stick the original diaper's tapes to the new landing zone.

What you need is gaffers tape. It is a cloth tape that sticks to just about anything, but is removable and doesn't leave any residues behind. It is widely used in the photo, video, sound, DJ, and film industry. Sometimes you can find a version of it at home improvement stores. But just about any photography store, DJ supply, music stores, or event lighting rental place will have it.

Quote Originally Posted by barkd74 View Post
    What you need is gaffers tape. It is a cloth tape that sticks to just about anything, but is removable and doesn't leave any residues behind. It is widely used in the photo, video, sound, DJ, and film industry. Sometimes you can find a version of it at home improvement stores. But just about any photography store, DJ supply, music stores, or event lighting rental place will have it.
    I'm not sure that will work for applying tapes with designs on them to cloth-backed diapers - it tends to be black, which means it will be covering up the pictures rather than just aiding in mounting them to the surface of the diaper. Having an inch and a half thick black outline isn't exactly the best when you're looking to make a diaper look cute (the point of adding tapes).

In case you're confused, by tapes, OP means the patterns on the front of the diaper, not the things you use to secure it onto yourself.