Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best thing that ever happened to you?

Default What's the best thing that ever happened to you?

Hmm, the best thing that ever happened to me. Plenty of good things have happened to me. Getting rescued from abusive parents, meeting my social worker, meeting my girlfriend. But the best thing? As horrible as it may sound, the best thing that ever happened to me was probably my dad dying in a car wreck. That way I knew he'd never hurt me again. I can't describe the feeling of relief that I felt when I heard the person who abused me the most, hurt me the most, died. So as horrible as it may sound, that's probably the best thing that ever happened to me.

I underwent major spinal surgery in my mid-teens, basically to try and counteract some of the physical effects of my muscle-wasting condition. I was in hospital for a long time, and was extremely ill following one of the two surgeries (horrific reaction to medication, which led to a near-fatal heart attack). The actual experience of being in hospital and going through all that was - in and of itself - awful.

However, it turned out to be a great thing in several ways. Firstly, the actual procedure was successful, and it gave me a better chance of being stable for the future. That was the good side I'd hoped for and expected. However, there were some benefits I didn't see coming. The ordeal made me realise just how important the people around me are, and to really appreciate what family should mean - my Dad staying nights by my bedside, my usually very measured brothers hugging me lots and calming me with silly jokes when I was in pain. I also realised how precious life is, and that I'm fortunate to be here at all.

I'm not happy all the time, and I've still had periods of real stress and low mood, but at the end of the day, when I climb into bed, I know that I'm pretty lucky to be able to get up, go out and experience the world around me.

Sheesh, you two started this off with some pretty profound things, though in different ways. Demonic, I'm so, so sorry that your life was in such a place that you felt that way after your father passed on. Everyone deserves better than that.

For myself, *knocks on wood* I've always had my health in pretty good shape. Bests for me have been getting into the college and law school of my choice, getting job offers at a couple really amazing places, those big life moments. There have also been times when I finished really long projects, like my senior thesis in college, some research papers, or some reports for work that involved months of research, and that is an incredible high when you not only finish but know you've got something really great on your hands. I also think when I wore diapers for the first time since I was two, it catalogs as one of my best moments.

There are also certain moments looking back that have become bests, though I didn't know it at the time. Agreeing to room with an okay but not great friend from high school when I got to college and having him become one of my best friends ever. Agreeing, very tentatively, to run an online PBP RPG on another site through which I ended up meeting not one, not two, but three really close friends all of whom I still speak with regularly even though the game ended a while ago.

I'm not sure I could pick just one out of that whole set though. "Best" implies something that stands out as better than everything else all the time, no matter how I feel or what I'm thinking about. I have many that are really great that I carry with me in life, and depending on what I'm doing and where my mind is, I might think of one thing over another at a given time. Like, how some days you might want strawberry jam on your toast, and other days, you'd prefer blueberry.

Mine is finding the most wonderful women to marry on E-harmony. Our 10th anniversary is next Thursday.

For me I'd have to say it's meeting and marrying my wife and having our three, wonderful children. My wife and I have been going through some tough times with her health, but each time she's gone into the hospital and come home, our kids have come home to lend support. They're the best part of our lives.

I'm sorry demonic that you've had such a tough start in life, and SnapsALot, I'm sorry that health has been an issue with you. Believe me when I say I know and understand the difficult things that life can throw at us. Sometimes just having a good day is a great and wonderful event.

I took a random chance and joined a Myspace chatroom. I was very lonely and needed to reach out to people would understand me. I opened up after a while about the fact that I was transgendered.. she said 'Me too!" and we started talking privately.

Now we've lived together for years and I'm blissfully happy. I've found the love of my life. So..

Taking the chance to join Myspace and be involved with it.. yeah. I have to say that. I'm embarrassed with myself too.

I'm pretty much with ArchieRoni.

I've led a relatively cushioned life so far (good family, school was fine, career has worked out pretty well, etc). There's been lots of things I could point to as having been good, or even great, but no big event that I could point at and say it was the greatest.

I can't even really say there was any big random event that pushed me down the road I'm on. Career wise I was kinda always fascinated with technology in general, and pretty much immediately developed an interest in computers when exposed to them. I could point at the first time I was introduced to a computer as maybe leading me down this career path, but chances are if that event had never happened, a similar one would happen later. I don't believe in fate, but somehow I feel like me becoming a software developer, or at least some computer field, was pretty much inevitable. Relationship wise I've yet to have anything that has lasted long enough to call life altering, so that's out.

Paint and music. My escape into complete surrealism, a journey into weightless obscurity.

Best thing to ever happen to me is my girlfriend. Don't want to jinx myself but I hope she says yes the day I propose! Bacon IS a close second though... Just kidding. Maybe... Lol. Joking aside, I think I like the optimistic view on this. Which is to say that the best things to happen to us are only the best things so far. There's always a bigger fish!