Thread: I have incontinence on and off my whole life why I feel self conscious?

Default I have incontinence on and off my whole life why I feel self conscious?

I have incontinence on and off my whole life why I feel self conscious?

you shouldn't

Because a lot of people associate diapers with being smelly and unclean, which isn't always the case. And there's nothing to be ashamed of about being incontinent. It's just a medical issue.

We've all been victims at one time or another to hearing comedians making incontinence and diaper jokes, usually associated with getting old. It's normal to feel self conscious, but it isn't justified. Most people just shrug it off. I've seen plenty of older people in our drug store, buying adult diapers. It's a medical issue and nothing more. Hold you head up high and to hell with anyone who has a problem with it.

It's because of some backwards minded societal concept that is conditioned into all of us from the day we are born and able to think for ourselves in at least a limited capacity as we grew up and got older. I myself still have the same problem from time to time actually.

I am incontinent and have to wear nappies or pads all the time now. At first I was very concious of being noticed but I have grown used to it and never think about it now. To be honest I don't think anyone really cares what you wear.

I have had bladder control issues all my life and lived in constant fear of accidents until modern incontinence products became readily available and I began using them. Look at the prime time t.v. commercials advertising OAB medication and absorbent products and it is clear that the barriers to open discussions about incontinence are coming down. Being somewhat self-conscious isn't necessarily bad, especially if what you're really feeling is modesty and discretion. I was self-conscious for years, but finally, with the help of my family, accepted my incontinence and what I had to do to manage it. Yes, I'm still discrete, but no longer ashamed. In reality, the people in my life who I really care about, and who care about me, don't have a problem with my continence issues, or the fact that I wear diapers to manage it. Being open and honest about the challenges facing me as an adult who is incontinent, wears diapers and still is committed to living a full life has been a source of encouragement to friends and family when experiencing their own difficulties. You can actually really make a difference in other peoples' lives.