Thread: Regression VS Age Play

Default Regression VS Age Play

So. With regards to being an AB...what do you think is the difference in regression and Ageplay? If there even is one.

I guess there are similarities. There is no doubt that age play is a significant addition to regression, even a significant catalyst, but the two as far as I'm concerned are different.

It is possible to act out little behaviour without regressing (though for a regressive person this would be difficult) Regression, for me at least, is an altered state of consciousness. There is a definite noticeable change in psychological and emotional behaviour. Inhibitions diminish, experience of the environment changes. What doesn't change is awareness of self, though I suspect this is a security measure...keeping an open door or escape route so to speak. To totally withdraw into a regressive state would be too risky I think...too scary.

Age play, even the trappings of babyhood are not necessary for regression. A state of mind is all that's required. However, age appropriate clothing and activities does support the regressive state. In other words, a diaper for eg feels natural, the lack of it odd somehow. Security is a big factor. Diapers teddy etc just seem right. It kind of works both ways... age play stimulates regression and regression stimulates age play.

Regression is different to playing house.

Ozbub has made some excellent points, but there's one or two things I'd also add. I see regression as a natural behavioural change, and Age-play as a chosen behavioural change.

I use age play to behave and act like a baby/toddler (which one depends on my mood that day) - for example choosing to sleep with a Taggie Blanket or wear a babyish onesie. Regression, on the other hand, is something which happens to me, and whilst my brain only regresses in my home environment, it's something I don't feel I need to force. I don't even think I could. I just find my brain gradually thinking babyish thoughts instead of adult concerns, and at my most regressed, I experience the things around me with a kind of excitement and wonder which I don't seem to possess in my adult mindset.

I understand that might sound a bit pretentious, but it's as well as I can explain what happens to me when I regress. It's certainly a different and more transforming process than the Age-play of just surrounding myself with baby toys and trying to speak more little.

I think they are two distinct terms that have similarities. And I'd have to agree with SirNapsALot for the most part. Ageplay for me is you know, acting little. Regression occurs when I'm in that state and I start actually thinking like a baby, not just acting like one.

So yeah. Two different things that can intertwine with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    It is possible to act out little behaviour without regressing (though for a regressive person this would be difficult) Regression, for me at least, is an altered state of consciousness. There is a definite noticeable change in psychological and emotional behaviour. Inhibitions diminish, experience of the environment changes. What doesn't change is awareness of self, though I suspect this is a security measure...keeping an open door or escape route so to speak. To totally withdraw into a regressive state would be too risky I think...too scary.
    When I'm playing with kids in my volunteer role, I often like to think of three prepositions: I play WITH the kids, BY the kids, and LIKE the kids. That last part is key. I don't just play with the kids "at their level" in a literal sense when I get down on my hands and knees. I find it easy to get down to their level in a figurative sense when we're both crawling around on the carpet.

But I do have to maintain the ability to "shift gears" back into grownup mode. And not just when it comes to going from "big kid" playmate to rules enforcer. Sometimes this double mindset comes in handy when you find "teachable moments" with the kids. One moment I'll be running toy cars into block towers with a tyke, the next moment I might ask the little one if they know what color the car is, or how many wheels it has, etc. Or while being the guest of honor at a doll house tea party, I might ask the kid if they can tell me how many pink cups they have.

What really shocks me back from rugrat mode into adult realities is when we see a severely disabled/challenged child come in. Things get real in a hurry. Now it's time to become unpaid aide, and get down to business with trying to help the actual staffers teach the poor kid life skills.

But at the end of the day, I'm still a college educated adult, who has to drive home and get ready for bed. I have to clock in at my actual paying job.

All good responses from above. I think a simplification of it is this: Age play is a deliberate act whereas regression happens naturally as a result of external stimuli. Age players deliberately play at being a certain person at a certain age. Regression is more of a psychological manifestation, a result, at least in my case, of wearing diapers, wearing toddler or babyish clothes, and drinking from a sippy cup or baby bottle. The objects create a psychological change, and how one perceives themselves and their surroundings.

I might add that once one has successfully engaged in regression, the same feelings can be achieved again by using the mind, deliberately going to that little space, even without the physical objects.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    All good responses from above. I think a simplification of it is this: Age play is a deliberate act whereas regression happens naturally as a result of external stimuli. Age players deliberately play at being a certain person at a certain age. Regression is more of a psychological manifestation, a result, at least in my case, of wearing diapers, wearing toddler or babyish clothes, and drinking from a sippy cup or baby bottle. The objects create a psychological change, and how one perceives themselves and their surroundings.

I might add that once one has successfully engaged in regression, the same feelings can be achieved again by using the mind, deliberately going to that little space, even without the physical objects.
    This is good, but I also don't think age-play necessarily has to be playing at being a certain age. It can be an amalgamation of different ages, such as many people here who like to wear diapers but play at an age around 4-7 when diapers traditionally wouldn't be necessary. It also doesn't have to be any age in particular and could just involve using a mix of things (diapers, other clothes, props etc.) that are generally associated with young children without the age-player necessarily committing to any given age.

Wow. Really great comments by all. The reason I asked in the first place was because Mommy and me are both reading "baby in my bed". We have come to the conclusion that I am more of an "age player". I usually ask in advance for what Mommy calls "Kiddie Time" and we set aside a few hours if we have time. So, like someone said, for me it really is a CHOICE. When I am age playing, I like to be a 1 year old. I like having Mommy take care of me by diapering me, feeding me a bottle and baby food. My favorite thing to do during Kiddie Time is to watch a Disney movie with Mommy, either sucking on a pacifier or being fed a bottle. I also love nap time and feeding time. I am, however, not into playing with toys or stuffed animals. I usually have it all planned out ahead of time what I want to do, so yes, I am certainly an age player. But, don't get me wrong...when I am Baby, I really immerse myself into the roll. The very first time (which was only a few weeks ago!) I was surprised at how much I really let myself slip into the baby roll. Mommy was kind of taken by surprise too, and at first she was quite unsure if she was truly comfortable with it...but...she want's to explore this more and wants me to experience babyhood more so that I can myself be more comfortable with it. Oh yeah, Mommy is my wife :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    This is good, but I also don't think age-play necessarily has to be playing at being a certain age. It can be an amalgamation of different ages, such as many people here who like to wear diapers but play at an age around 4-7 when diapers traditionally wouldn't be necessary. It also doesn't have to be any age in particular and could just involve using a mix of things (diapers, other clothes, props etc.) that are generally associated with young children without the age-player necessarily committing to any given age.
    I agree. In fact, when I think of age play, I remember a show on TV about age players in Japan, that and cosplay. When you add these into the mix, things get a little more complicated, and hard to define with one definition. When one thinks about how diversified we all are, just the members on this site, one begins to see a bigger, more complex picture.