Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No More Wet Bedding

Default No More Wet Bedding

I have searched this site and have found several references to homemade diapers, but have not seen my particular application. If there is already a thread on this subject, my sincere apologies.

In spite of the best diapers (Bellissimo, Dry 24/7) we have all experienced leaks ("it" happens). Rather than modify the bedding for this problem, why not use a cheap "secondary containment" in the form of an "over-diaper" using a kitchen garbage bag and a pad of paper towels?

To partially plagiarize Bean from another thread "Unfold the the bag, cut off the bottom corners of the bag to create holes that are slightly smaller than the diameter of your thigh. Carefully put your feet through the holes and slowly pull the bag up over your legs slowly stretching the leg holes so they will be snug around your upper thighs." Then insert a pad of paper towels between the bag and the diaper.

What's good about the kitchen garbage bag over-diaper is that it is cheap, disposable, will fit over any size diaper, the bag leg holes are located not near the diaper leg holes so that there is no transference, it is soft and comfortable, and can ride as high as your chest if you want it to.

I think some good plastic/vinyl panties a better alternative. the ones Gary has on xp are great with some cotton briefs under. u have to really wet heavy an saturate a good diaper before that leak

Yes,

Best advice, pair of briefs over diaper...and good diaper cover over that...

Using that combo...I haven't had a leak in years...

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
    I have searched this site and have found several references to homemade diapers, but have not seen my particular application. If there is already a thread on this subject, my sincere apologies.

In spite of the best diapers (Bellissimo, Dry 24/7) we have all experienced leaks ("it" happens). Rather than modify the bedding for this problem, why not use a cheap "secondary containment" in the form of an "over-diaper" using a kitchen garbage bag and a pad of paper towels?

To partially plagiarize Bean from another thread "Unfold the the bag, cut off the bottom corners of the bag to create holes that are slightly smaller than the diameter of your thigh. Carefully put your feet through the holes and slowly pull the bag up over your legs slowly stretching the leg holes so they will be snug around your upper thighs." Then insert a pad of paper towels between the bag and the diaper.

What's good about the kitchen garbage bag over-diaper is that it is cheap, disposable, will fit over any size diaper, the bag leg holes are located not near the diaper leg holes so that there is no transference, it is soft and comfortable, and can ride as high as your chest if you want it to.
    I'm flattered to know someone actually paid attention to what I posted Homemade trash bag plastic pants can work well enough if nothing else is available. But, a well fitting pair of plastic pants will provide better leak protection while also being more comfortable. There are even some kinds of plastic or PUL pants that have a terry lining on the interior. Hope you find a solution that works well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    I'm flattered to know someone actually paid attention to what I posted Homemade trash bag plastic pants can work well enough if nothing else is available. But, a well fitting pair of plastic pants will provide better leak protection while also being more comfortable. There are even some kinds of plastic or PUL pants that have a terry lining on the interior. Hope you find a solution that works well for you.
    You said it. Is anyone afraid to sleep with a black plastic bag? I would be. Plastic bags come with all sorts of warnings to keep away from babies so I better not go near them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinating View Post
    You said it. Is anyone afraid to sleep with a black plastic bag? I would be. Plastic bags come with all sorts of warnings to keep away from babies so I better not go near them.
    I wouldn't want to sleep with a bag near my face. The warnings you hear are due to the possibility of getting a bag stuck in the windpipe. However, when properly secured as a diaper cover, a bag would not be any more likely to end up near your face than a regular pair of plastic pants would. I don't think there is really anything to worry about.

WearingClouds

Quote Originally Posted by wannabewallstreet View Post
    I think some good plastic/vinyl panties a better alternative. the ones Gary has on xp are great with some cotton briefs under. u have to really wet heavy an saturate a good diaper before that leak
    How do they fit around the thighs! I have never used vinyl or plastic pants before but want to try! Are they tight? Waterproof? I'm a little confused on how they work!

Right Bean. Even with the plastic bag up to my chest, there is absolutely no way that I can contort myself so that my face comes in contact with it. The problem I see with plastic pants from a You Tube video of someone wearing Dry 24/7 and plastic pants is that the plastic pants crotch does not span the diaper when the diaper is at capacity, and even if it does, the plastic pants crotch is too close to the diaper crotch enabling transference. Also, you have to maintain the plastic pants. As for comfort, the kitchen garbage bags are similar in texture and thickness to a dry cleaning bag. I did not even notice that I had it on, even around the stretched leg holes.
    Last edited by Kenn; 23-Oct-2014 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn View Post
    Right Bean. Even with the plastic bag up to my chest, there is absolutely no way that I can contort myself so that my face comes in contact with it. The problem I see with plastic pants from a You Tube video of someone wearing Dry 24/7 and plastic pants is that the plastic pants crotch does not span the diaper when the diaper is at capacity, and even if it does, the plastic pants crotch is too close to the diaper crotch enabling transference. Also, you have to maintain the plastic pants.
    I think there is a lot a variability in plastic pants. The key is finding a pair that fit properly. I have had pairs that were very wide in the crotch and had plenty of coverage even when using very thick cloth diapers or layered disposables.

Quote Originally Posted by WearingClouds View Post
    How do they fit around the thighs! I have never used vinyl or plastic pants before but want to try! Are they tight? Waterproof? I'm a little confused on how they work!
    The other key is choosing a pair with leg holes that are snug but will not cut off circulation. The leg holes do not actually seal moisture in. If the diaper leaks moisture from the top or the leg gathers, the plastic pants simply help to prevent the transfer of that moisture to surrounding surfaces or materials. Most good quality plastic pants sellers will have a sizing chart on the website. The most important measurement is the circumference of your thighs. You should use a cloth measuring tape or string to measure your thighs just below where the the leg gathers of your diaper normally sit. The leg openings of the plastic pants should measure about the same or slightly less. It may take some trial and error to find a pair that fits properly.

I have found a changing pad very reliable for such things. Failing that, plastic pants would be my go-to. If I was really concerned, it would be something along these lines: http://www.fetware.com/cloud-flannel...ants-p-40.html. There's an up-front cost but those bags will also cost something over the long term and these are made specifically for the purpose.