Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which sports are you into?

Default Which sports are you into?

In terms of watching, I follow Football (obsessively), NFL (which I really like, and usually go to watch when it's at Wembley) and casually follow Cricket, Basketball and Rugby League (which, for the uninitiated, is like Rugby Union but with a better points system and it's a traditionally working-class sport).

As for playing sport, my disability hampers me from anything too physically gruelling or which demands serious strength, but I've always swam a lot, and I enjoy cycling too.

So, fellow ADISCers - which sports do you like, and why? And if you're not into sport at all - do you understand the appeal, or do you feel utterly perplexed at why anyone would choose to tire themselves out playing football, or follow a sports team religiously?

Forgot to name actual teams I follow: Football - Manchester United. NFL - Minnesota Vikings.
    Last edited by Sanch; 22-Oct-2014 at 19:09.

In terms of watching I follow the University of Oregon "Ducks" football, and Oregon State University Baseball team.

As for participating the want is SCUBA diving and fishing, but I really get time to do either.

I'm more settled into soccer as I am a huge soccer fan, not a player. For teams I mostly cheer for FC BARCELONA because I'm not much of a fan for the American teams.

When FIFA World Cups host, I cheer for USA & Argentina and I hope that they win. IF USA goes out, then I cheer for Lionel Messi and his Argentina team. If they "Both" go out, then I end up turning the TV off and checking the highlights later to see who won.

I've always been more a fan of school sports, and lately whatever my own kids are doing. Pro sports have always mystified me. I figure that if I'm going to root for a greedy corporation, I'll root for one that *pays me* and not the other way around. I can get spirited about paychecks and stock.

Pretty big fan of ice hockey, specifically the NHL and even more specifically the Detroit Red Wings. I also like watching football and baseball, especially the Detroit Lions and Tigers. Basically a fan of all teams Detroit. Hate basketball though and not a huge fan of soccer though I do enjoy playing it from time to time. When it comes to sports I do play, I try to play pick-up hockey when I can and have played intramural hockey with a local league before. Love being out on the ice.

Baseball, baseball and more baseball. I grew up only watching it, and it's pretty much the only sport I care about. I couldn't care less about football.

Quote Originally Posted by disneygeek View Post
    Baseball, baseball and more baseball. I grew up only watching it, and it's pretty much the only sport I care about. I couldn't care less about football.
    I always think going to a baseball game looks fun, but I don't find it exciting to watch on TV. Probably like cricket is. That can be a bit boring and repetitive to watch at home, but going to a game is a fun day out - good atmosphere, relaxing, beers in the sunshine, and the sport itself is much more engaging up-close.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsALot View Post
    Rugby League
    Union rules, league is for <small cats>.
    [Editor's note: Above is the obligatory response for a union fan when someone says they like league. No personal offense intended]

7's appeals to my endurance athlete side. Short games, but all in the heartrate redzone. No place to hide with so few players. If you eff up or run out of gas, its all out there for the world to see. I'm excited that it's going to get a shot in the Olympics.

Chicago Blackhawks

I would like to be a Chicago Bears fan, but they're making awfully hard lately.

Racing of any kind: NASCAR, F1, ALMS, bicycle, foot...

Doing: Swim, bike, run. Back in the day, wrestling & Judo
    Last edited by Maxx; 23-Oct-2014 at 00:31.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsALot View Post
    I always think going to a baseball game looks fun, but I don't find it exciting to watch on TV. Probably like cricket is. That can be a bit boring and repetitive to watch at home, but going to a game is a fun day out - good atmosphere, relaxing, beers in the sunshine, and the sport itself is much more engaging up-close.
    I may be biased, but baseball is to me such a strategic and mental game. I hear a lot of the time that it's "boring," but I can't get enough. I love the idea that there is no clock and a team can never simply "run out of time". I don't have much knowledge of cricket but I believe baseball did originate from it in some sort of way.
    Last edited by disneygeek; 23-Oct-2014 at 01:11.

In retirement I'm into NASCAR and Texas Rangers baseball. I watch a little NFL football. I could careless about the NBA.
    Don't care about any college sports except for the CWS in baseball. When I was younger I liked fishing quite well.