Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacifier Problems -_-

Default Pacifier Problems -_-

So I have used pacifiers for a long time as a way to keep myself from biting things in my sleep, namely, me. occasionally, I would get a few chapped lips here and there, not often though. Lately, however, Its been EVERY TIME. I took a cautious break for about a week and a half to see if it was causing my rashy chapped lips, and it was. My problem is this, I really do need the pacifiers, plus i love it~ so getting rid of them is NOT an option. I've heard putting coconut oil on my lips before bedtime is a good idea? I'm not really sure... Anyone?

*note* I drool a bit, so its the equivalent of lip-lickers dermatitis

What about Chapstick or a little bit of Vaseline?

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    What about Chapstick or a little bit of Vaseline?
    chapstick and I don't get along :p and vaseline tastes so yucky :p

Vaseline will be your best option for chapped lips if chapstick will not work.

You want thick substance, nothing liquid because that's the most source for chapped lips. When the moisture absorbs your lips, it becomes dry. I still lick my lips and it's bad for me.

Try this link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2288214.html

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy View Post
    Vaseline will be your best option for chapped lips if chapstick will not work.

You want thick substance, nothing liquid because that's the most source for chapped lips. When the moisture absorbs your lips, it becomes dry. I still lick my lips and it's bad for me.

Try this link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2288214.html
    that's why i thought coconut oil. coconut oil is kinda vaseline like but isn't petroleum based and nasty tasting :p

Sometimes certain chapsticks don't work, or even make some people's lips even more chapped. For me, it's Carmex; I've found that Softlips works much better for me. If chapsticks just flat-out don't work, try getting some more vitamin A in your diet, and avoid licking your lips. You can also lightly scrub your lips with a toothbrush then apply lotion to them every time you brush your teeth. Just a few random ideas here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianissima View Post
    that's why i thought coconut oil. coconut oil is kinda vaseline like but isn't petroleum based and nasty tasting :p
    I think coconut oil is a great idea. It is one of the healthiest oils and has a pleasant smell. It is completely safe for you, but I am not sure how long it would take it to break down the plastic in the pacifier. I would expect the replacement time might be shortened some, so hopefully your paci does not cost a fortune.

As a general note, you have to be careful what kind of chapsticks you use, because some are actually only temporary fixes and actually dehydrate your lips!

Coconut oil is probably a good idea. I've used coconut products for my eczema and it both smelled good and worked wonderfully. Fascinating also brings up a good point that it might do a number on your pacifier.

Quote Originally Posted by FeekaDimension View Post
    As a general note, you have to be careful what kind of chapsticks you use, because some are actually only temporary fixes and actually dehydrate your lips!

Coconut oil is probably a good idea. I've used coconut products for my eczema and it both smelled good and worked wonderfully. Fascinating also brings up a good point that it might do a number on your pacifier.
    id rather have to replace my paci a little sooner than have to deal with chapped lips as a brass player :p but yeah, it is a good point. ill look into its effect on plastics

So... I've been having the same problem as pianissima since taking up the habit with a MAM 6+ about a week ago. I can say that coconut oil, while delicious, melts at body temperature, gets messy, and wears off. I'm going to try using beeswax or chapstick instead.

As far as attacking the pacifier plastic goes... I work on problems like this at my job. Coconut oil will mix with melted poly(vinyl chloride), a.k.a. vinyl, and probably mixes with melted silicone, too. However, I doubt it's going to soak in to the solid plastic like most real plasticizers (oils that make plastic bendy and pliable) do, though. Silicone kitchen tools don't get destroyed by fats in food you mix with them, but I've seen the plasticizer oils ruin them in days. I'll post here if anything happens to my budget paci from chapsticks or coconut oil.

TL;DR: Coconut oil is messy, but hasn't damaged any plastics I've worked with yet.