Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What music means to us.

Talking What music means to us.

I would like this to remain positive. So there are many songs that teach us all great lessons, or inspire us everyday. I would like for everyone to post a song, and say a little about what you learned from it, or how it inspires you. I am sorry if this has been done before, I just thought it would be a great way to get everyone talking. Maybe you and someone share the same song, or your song will help someone else out.

The song I have learned from and been inspired by the most at this time, is Firework by Katy Perry.

This song inspires me to be, well me. It taught me that I shouldn't focus on the negative things in life, and not to listen to people who only want to bring me down by saying negative hurtful things. I still do focus on how people see me, but I don't care as much as I used to. Whenever I listen to this song I forget about those people, and what they have said about me. It just makes me feel better whenever I am down.

Now it alone, hasn't been the most inspirational thing in my life. I would also like thank all of you for that. I wouldn't be posting this if it wasn't for all of the help and support I have received on here, and I really do hope this might help someone else out.

Now it is your turn, I would like for you to post a song that helps you feel better or just inspires you.

Well this is a great idea.

Well the most inspirational song i have heard is the same song i quote in my Signature.

The song Dead, by Voltaire.

I am a hardcore Atheist, and this song (sorry religious people) really gives a good image on why religion is... Well... not for everyone...

Now i could go rant for hours and hours about what is wrong with different religions but let's just leave it here. Enjoy!

I just enjoy listening to music. At the moment my favourite song is probably Band on the Run by McCartney, but it changes often. I listen to different genres as the whimsy takes me.

"Lullaby" by Billy Joel always makes me tear up. It seems obvious that he wrote it for his daughter, and when I hear it, I think of my daughter. I grew up on the Jersey Shore, Toms River. When the song talks about sailing, it brings back a lot of memories. I loved sailing on Barnegat Bay. As a teenager, I never dreamed what it would be like to have a daughter, and how close I would be to her. She's an English major and so we have reading and writing in common. More than that, she's a very loving and caring person.

I know that I can't live forever, and when I pass, it will be hard on my children, and probably very much so with our daughter. In some ways, we continue our lives through our children, passing on who we are, our values and sometimes, the very things we love.

Someday we'll all be gone
    But lullabies go on and on...
    They never die
    That's how you
    And I
    Will be

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    "Lullaby" by Billy Joel always makes me tear up. It seems obvious that he wrote it for his daughter, and when I hear it, I think of my daughter. I grew up on the Jersey Shore, Toms River. When the song talks about sailing, it brings back a lot of memories. I loved sailing on Barnegat Bay. As a teenager, I never dreamed what it would be like to have a daughter, and how close I would be to her. She's an English major and so we have reading and writing in common. More than that, she's a very loving and caring person.

I know that I can't live forever, and when I pass, it will be hard on my children, and probably very much so with our daughter. In some ways, we continue our lives through our children, passing on who we are, our values and sometimes, the very things we love.

Someday we'll all be gone
    But lullabies go on and on...
    They never die
    That's how you
    And I
    Will be
    Awe, :,( That is so sweet.

Dream Theater - Wither

Songs are written from the heart. The best creations come when you spill your guts on the page and put love into every single note you play and every single lyric you write. And sometimes, your greatest work can crash down at the slightest hesitation. This song is about the song writing process, and I relate very well to it.

Almost anything from Rush I love. Limelight, Tom Sawyer, 2112, and many others that I listen to everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by ClandestineWing View Post
    Dream Theater - Wither

Songs are written from the heart. The best creations come when you spill your guts on the page and put love into every single note you play and every single lyric you write. And sometimes, your greatest work can crash down at the slightest hesitation. This song is about the song writing process, and I relate very well to it.
    Dream Theater has great lyrical writing. They are one of the very few bands that I can listen to, beginning to end, over and over.
    Their music is very emotional which puts it at the top. Some of the best musicians reside in this band. Inspired by bands like Rush, Kansas, and even heavier bands.

Glass Prison by Dream Theater is quite inspirational for me. The title should be quite explanatory. Sick music to go along for the ride with the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    Dream Theater has great lyrical writing. They are one of the very few bands that I can listen to, beginning to end, over and over.
    Their music is very emotional which puts it at the top. Some of the best musicians reside in this band. Inspired by bands like Rush, Kansas, and even heavier bands.

Glass Prison by Dream Theater is quite inspirational for me. The title should be quite explanatory. Sick music to go along for the ride with the lyrics.
    I believe we've had this conversation before. Still true, but yeah. :P

Funny story. One time, I was driving home with Glass Prison playing, and I almost pulled over when I heard the sirens in the track.

there is a very hunting piece of music that reminds me of my life and the inspirations that lead me away from home.
    i grew up on a big river and dreamed of the adventures it might take me too one day. like the river, the music too is named after a big river in south America....
    *Orinoco Flow* by enya
    http://www.mtv.com/videos/enya/34000/orinoco-flow.jhtml

the song didn't come out until 1988, and by then i had returned from my overseas (or underseas) adventures.... and was setting out on my next new adventure, one in social non-conformity. but there too, Enya herself and other of her music continued to inspire me.