Thread: diaper pin problems

Default diaper pin problems

hi all,last night while diapering my self for bed in baby pants prefolds,I was using lockhead dritz pins and had some problem with the pin wanting to pop loose or bend and come loose.what am I doing wrong here,help please?this morning on wakeing I found one pin poped loose over night and was about to stick my side?

From the outside push the pin through all layers and then bring it back through to latch as shown in the GMD link below. With this method there is no pressure on the head.

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diaper-pins.html

Quote Originally Posted by poobrat View Post
    hi all,last night while diapering my self for bed in baby pants prefolds,I was using lockhead dritz pins and had some problem with the pin wanting to pop loose or bend and come loose.what am I doing wrong here,help please?this morning on wakeing I found one pin poped loose over night and was about to stick my side?
    I've been using the same set of Dritz pins since I got them last spring. What I do is pin mine so the locking head is to the inside.
    I haven't had one come open on me. I'm a side sleeper and this might help where the head of the pin can come open.

Ultimately, you need to make sure that the point at which the pin enters the diaper and the point at which it resurfaces are fairly close together. If they're as far or farther apart than the pin is long, your diaper is going to pull the pin open.

When I pin, I do this: I hold the diaper together with one hand so that my thumb is on the inside (between the diaper and my body) right next to where I expect the pin to poke through. With the other hand, I pin straight down through the diaper until the pin has just poked through. Then, using the thumb inside my diaper, I push the tip of the pin sideways and back up into the fabric. This helps keep the distance between the pinholes as small as possible.

You're in good shape if the pin can slide back and forth a bit once it's fastened. Somewhat counterintuitively, this has no detrimental effect on the snugness of the fit.
    Last edited by Cottontail; 18-Oct-2014 at 21:52.

If you can't get the pins to work for you, I'd recommend getting Boingo or Snappi fasteners. They are great for people who are inexperienced with cloth diapers like myself. When I tried pins, they kept on bending on me and my fingers got pins and needles literally. They are fairly cheap and they work very well and help keep the cloth diaper snug without much work and effort.

finally able to get diapered without a fight.after washing my diapers this last time and useing downy in the final rinse,made all the difference.diapering last night went very quickly and smooth as greased baby bottoms,lol.

finally able to get diapered without a fight.after washing my diapers this last time and useing downy in the final rinse,made all the difference.diapering last night went very quickly and smooth as greased baby bottoms,lol.
    Yes, fabric softeners do make the pins glide through, but they will also drastically reduce the absorbency of your diapers if you're not careful. Most people recommend avoiding fabric softeners altogether. I like to add a little Ecover to every other wash, but then I'm more into softness than performance. It is a trade-off. I'm really hoping one of the adult prefold makers offers a bamboo rayon option in the near future. That fabric has been used for baby diapers for a few years now, and it's like permanently fabric-softened twill -- amazing stuff, and ultra-easy to pin.

When I have diaper pins that do not go through easily, I poke them into a bar of soap. That seems to help quite a bit.