Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shipping destinations other than at home (US)

Question Shipping destinations other than at home (US)

Hello Everyone,

I know discrete shipping comes up a lot, but I don't see much talk about shipping to places where you can pick them up later. I found a thread here from 2008, but I don't know what has changed since then.

My family is very nosy, and while they will not open stuff sent to me, they die of curiosity. I don't blame them, I am the same way (I received a keyboard cover the other day and they were all over me wondering what it was).

I have searched for a long time trying to find good alternative places to ship to for pickup. So far, this is what I have found:

• USPS
      1. General Delivery
      2. PO Box
    • UPS
      1. Mailbox
      2. Hold for pickup
    • Amazon Lockers (There are none close to me though)
    • Does Fedex do any of this?

Does anyone have experience with any of these methods or know of any others that work well? (Particularly for Amazon, but I would also like to try Bambinos sometime).

Some initial thoughts, it seems the PO box or mailbox might be the easiest but most expensive, and there are logistic problems with General Delivery and holding it at a UPS store where they might send it back.

Thanks for the help!

-Seug

I am not sure if no one is interested, or if this got pushed down because the approval took so long, but I thought I would give an update in case anyone is interested (maybe the lurkers looking for this like me).

I contacted UPS, and they told me I have three options.
    1. Get a UPS mailbox, this is the most expensive at $25 per month in 3, 6, or 1 year rental periods. They will provide an address to ship to. I asked for ID to requirements to rent one which is two, they say that a Driver license and a University ID work, but there were more listed. This will probably be different per store.
    2. Ship it to the UPS store by addressing it "Hold for (your name), your phone number" then the address of the store. They call when it arrives. The holding fee is $5 a day including the day it arrives. I think I read somewhere on the forum this forum that sometimes the packages are sent back, I am not sure how common that is.
    3. UPS MyChoice, if you ship through UPS you can reroute to pickup. It seems the only advantage is you can pay the holding fee ahead of time.

I tried contacting Fedex but they have not responded, I think they only have something similar to UPS MyChoice though. It is a shame because they have an office in my town open a lot later (until midnight)

I am thinking about just getting a 3 month rental for $75 so I don't need to worry about it. There is really only one day a week I can make it during my commute to the store during open hours, so the holding fees could add up. (Unless I can figure out another excuse to leave the house).

Any thoughts?

For FedEx you can usually select to hold it at a nearby FedEx location to pick up when it arrives. You can't set it to this, though. Once the tracking number is registered there's an option for delivery changes. Most of the time I haven't had a problem with this. However, for whatever reason the option doesn't seem to be open to every single package.

I had mine delivered to the UPS delivery center and picked them up there. I had no charge by doing that. Also, with places like Wal-Mart, Target and some of the pharmacies you can order online and pick it up at the store. Those may or may not be in discreet packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by disneygeek View Post
    For FedEx you can usually select to hold it at a nearby FedEx location to pick up when it arrives. You can't set it to this, though. Once the tracking number is registered there's an option for delivery changes. Most of the time I haven't had a problem with this. However, for whatever reason the option doesn't seem to be open to every single package.
    I think it has to be shipped through Fedex right? I usually order through Amazon, and there is not much choice or control over who they ship with.

Quote Originally Posted by zipperless View Post
    I had mine delivered to the UPS delivery center and picked them up there. I had no charge by doing that. Also, with places like Wal-Mart, Target and some of the pharmacies you can order online and pick it up at the store. Those may or may not be in discreet packaging.
    No charge? Every UPS store might be different, I think they are franchises that vary what they charge.

The Wal-mart and target ordering sounds like a nice trick, good advice, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Seug View Post
    I think it has to be shipped through Fedex right? I usually order through Amazon, and there is not much choice or control over who they ship with.
    Correct. With Amazon, it's kind of a crap shoot. I'm not sure how they decide what carrier uses certain orders. I was planning on picking up a case of diapers from a FedEx location tomorrow from an order from Amazon. But of course, this one doesn't seem to be letting me change it.

Correct. With Amazon, it's kind of a crap shoot. I'm not sure how they decide what carrier uses certain orders. I was planning on picking up a case of diapers from a FedEx location tomorrow from an order from Amazon. But of course, this one doesn't seem to be letting me change it.
    Did you ship it to your house originally?

Quote Originally Posted by Seug View Post
    Did you ship it to your house originally?
    Yep, haha. Luckily it should come during the day tomorrow when I'm home and my roommate is at work. I used the Amazon Prime feature so I pretty much had a guaranteed delivery date and would know when to expect it.

I've had diapers shipped to my local UPS Store. Pick-up fee (I don't have a mailbox there) is $5. Not all UPS Stores will do this for you, though. Definitely ask first. Of course, if you anticipate shipping diapers very often and need a discreet address, you're probably better off paying a monthly/yearly fee for a mailbox somewhere.

Yep, haha. Luckily it should come during the day tomorrow when I'm home and my roommate is at work. I used the Amazon Prime feature so I pretty much had a guaranteed delivery date and would know when to expect it.
    Ahh I tried that once, but the stupid thing showed up super early in the morning, 5 minutes before everyone left. Now I only risk it if they are gone for multiple days (it worked in college when roommates went home before me for break).

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I've had diapers shipped to my local UPS Store. Pick-up fee (I don't have a mailbox there) is $5. Not all UPS Stores will do this for you, though. Definitely ask first. Of course, if you anticipate shipping diapers very often and need a discreet address, you're probably better off paying a monthly/yearly fee for a mailbox somewhere.
    I am thinking over 3 months I can stock up for the year (or more) and not worry about trying to order too much at once or having to pick them up right away. Unfortunately I do still have to hide them, I am assessing my space right now :P.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    Actually, come to think of it this might be the better choice. Was it a flat $5 or $5 per day they held it? I might shop around the other UPS stores and see if their rates are any different.

Also, have you ever had a problem with them rejecting the package and sending it back?