Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age-ism

Default Age-ism

I have worked with kids for three years now, both genders, rich and poor, ages five to eighteen. And now I teach people ages eighteen to twenty-five. What strikes me when I discuss the youth generation is that unreasonable prejudice some people carry about the youth, that every teenager is a potential killer, an immoral sociopath about to pop. This hyperbole is not mine, but the critic's. And most people carry some kind of stigma. Invariably the argument goes "Kids these days..." followed without fail by some bizarre event culled from the headlines about a seventeen yro who rapes his teacher, a ten yro who shot her little brother, and a twelve yro that set the family cat on fire. I'm at a loss as to how anyone could think that these instances are representative of an entire generation. I am left even more bumfuzzled when I am told that the fifteen yro who raped his two yro sister wouldn't have done that had his parents been smart enough to spank him as a child, as if that kind of action and the pathology that went with it could be prevented or controlled by hitting someone.

I understand that every generation thinks the younger are not up to the standards of the older. But that's a far cry from the assertion that every adolescent is a malformed maniac who will lie, cheat, steal, and kill given the proper motivation and a lack of parental violence. I have worked with all kinds of kids, and what sruck me was the committment to fairness you see in the very young and the willingness to include and help others that you see in teens. No one is one thing all the time, but these traits suggest not a lack of conscience but a heightened sense of, much more than what we see int he adult world and its committment to social darwinism and the 'me and mine first" attitude that flows so freely in older generations.

If anyone else has an opinion about this, I'd like to hear it.

If I could kill and get away with it, a handful or a few of people would be dead. Now that I think about it, the same thing might be true with RAEP. Is this bad? Immoral as hell, but some people just BEG for it.

I would say that our generation isn't any worse than the ones that were before it, but I don't know that. I don't know any statistics, info, and I haven't been around long enough.

I think one thing that's made a difference is that communications have increased so dramatically. When these people were younger, they didn't hear about a lot of the horrible news stories that they hear about now, so it's new to them. Then, whether it's out of shock or fear, they tend to over-generalize it.

But...from what I've seen, there aren't many people take the kind of attitude that you mentioned. And, if they do take those attitudes towards teenagers, they take the same attitude towards everyone. Like, if they hear about a politician or a movie star do something scandalous, they act like all of them are the same way.

So...I don't know, I haven't seen many people take the attitude that you described...only a few oddballs.

Butterfly Mage

I'm well above 18 and I actually have a lot of hope for the current generation of kids. I think they're going to grow up to be a LOT less closed-minded and a lot less conservative. Issues concerning gender and sexuality are a lot less important for the young generation -- and that's a good thing. That gives me hope that someday the anti-gay hate legislation that pervades the Red States might someday be overturned.

It also seems like younger people are less likely to be fundamentalist in their religious beliefs. A tolerance for the spiritual pracrtices of others is never a bad thing.

So... I think todays' youth are going to be just fine once the Boomers get the heck out of everyone's way.

I never heard of "age-ism" and I think its rather stupid. I never made assumptions based on age alone nor know anyone who has.

I have however felt apathetic towards my own generation for the way most of it acts. Anyways I got better things to worry about now it seams such as, myself. :P
    ----------------
    Now playing: Default - Wasting My Time
    via FoxyTunes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Alex View Post
    If I could kill and get away with it, a handful or a few of people would be dead. Now that I think about it, the same thing might be true with RAEP. Is this bad? Immoral as hell, but some people just BEG for it.

I would say that our generation isn't any worse than the ones that were before it, but I don't know that. I don't know any statistics, info, and I haven't been around long enough.
    Agreed!

There is anti-discrimination laws that are similar to anti-racism laws and gender discrimination laws.

There's nothing really wrong with the youth where I live. Though, education is definitely not what it used to be. It's trended downward over the past decade because of foolish policies by the government to make it "easier" on kids, because getting bad marks will hurt their "feelings". Thankfully, that's starting to reverse now. They added calculus (even integration!) back to high school, for example.

Still, because of this batch of ignorants coming through the system, technical degrees are starting to make their programs longer than 4 years, so they have time to teach the students what they should have learned in high school. Effectively, they are already 5 year programs, because virtually everyone gets held back a year for failing various things. This is just a formalization of that. I also know, my dad who is a professor is a business program tells me half of his incoming students can't even do basic algebra. They can't even recognize the equation of a line. And he has to try to teach them linear programming! haha. Crazy.

Though, I hear a lot of bad things about the youth in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Incomplete Dude View Post
    There's nothing really wrong with the youth where I live. Though, education is definitely not what it used to be. It's trended downward over the past decade because of foolish policies by the government to make it "easier" on kids, because getting bad marks will hurt their "feelings". Thankfully, that's starting to reverse now. They added calculus (even integration!) back to high school, for example.

Still, because of this batch of ignorants coming through the system, technical degrees are starting to make their programs longer than 4 years, so they have time to teach the students what they should have learned in high school. Effectively, they are already 5 year programs, because virtually everyone gets held back a year for failing various things. This is just a formalization of that. I also know, my dad who is a professor is a business program tells me half of his incoming students can't even do basic algebra. They can't even recognize the equation of a line. And he has to try to teach them linear programming! haha. Crazy.

While I agree that there are a lot of issues with the education system (as pointed out in my big long thread about it), I think there are also other factors that play into this downward trend that you mentioned. I think these have been mentioned in a former thread somewhere.

First, I really do think our technological advances have led to people being lazier. Youth today always seem to have their cell phones on them texting, and entertainment is always right at their fingertips. The idea of work ethic has taken a hit.

And second, because there are more families that either have both parents working or have single parent homes, a lot of kids aren't being given the same attention, teaching, and discipline at home. This makes it less likely for some of them to have that work ethic as well as certain aspects of courtesy and respect for others.

So, I agree that the education system is at fault...but I also think that it's often used as a scapegoat. Parents in particular want to put the blame on the school system because inherently they expect it to raise their kids. So sometimes I think people need to look at themselves in addition to looking at what's wrong with schools.

daria7483

I've groused some about some teen behavior that I've witnessed that I thought was pretty rude, and worried that it might be reflective of the generation as a whole -- you guys know that -- but to generalize them as serial killers or rapists or other horrible things just because of a few dramatized stories in the media is just plain stupid. I don't think most people really believe teens are this way. People always say "kids these days are so (fill in the blank here)" and what they don't realize is that they were the same way when they were kids, that the occasional random crime still happened but was rare, and that all generations have their characteristics and problems but it doesn't mean the end of the world.

Harris, I know how you feel. Lots of people think that that my alma mater, Virginia Tech, is the thug school and an unsafe place to send your kids because of things that happened there that were random acts and the result of a couple of horrible individuals, and it sucks. I wish people could understand that violence is so often random and not indicative of an entire group of people.