Thread: Quick question I would like advice on

Default Quick question I would like advice on

A couple of years back I had an operation that saved my life, but left me with fecal incontinence. I have recently started traveling farther from my house and just leaving the house more in general. I have changed wet diapers in public, but would like to know if I am handling the messy ones correctly. Currently if an accident happens where I am still close to home I just go home and clean up, but what if I go further away? Do I still just try and go home or is there a way to address the issue in a public bathroom that leaves me with a shred of dignity?

Quote Originally Posted by dlinu View Post
    A couple of years back I had an operation that saved my life, but left me with fecal incontinence. I have recently started traveling farther from my house and just leaving the house more in general. I have changed wet diapers in public, but would like to know if I am handling the messy ones correctly. Currently if an accident happens where I am still close to home I just go home and clean up, but what if I go further away? Do I still just try and go home or is there a way to address the issue in a public bathroom that leaves me with a shred of dignity?
    You should change in a stall of a public restroom as soon as practical. Otherwise the smell will give you away. I think there are many sites where it is explained how to change easily while standing up. Practice changing at home several times. Make sure you have a clean (tape-on) diaper with you, and enough wipes to handle the situation. A disposal bag for the soiled one would also be helpful in case the stall doesn't have its own trash container. Gas stations with one-toilet bathrooms are usually private or if u r at a mall they often have restrooms with many stalls and a handicapped one which is bigger and easier to use.

I sometimes clean up messy ones in public bathrooms and it isn't difficult, if you have everything carefully prepared. All the supplies I need are in a bag that hangs on the hook behind the door, or a little hook that I carry to go over the top if there isn't one. The bag opens to present the contents so I can get at them easily, without them coming into contact with anything in the stall. I start by cleaning anything in the stall that I am likely to touch, and/or put a seat cover on. I wear flushable liners in the back so my nappies usually stay clean enough to just drop out from under me while squatting over the toilet, while the mess is in the liner stuck to my bottom. I can now sit down, peel that off and flush it away. Once the nappy is tucked into the disposal bag, I'm not really in a very different position to someone who had just had a BM in the toilet, except I'm a bit dirtier. The wipes and tissues are all there within reach so the cleanup can begin without moving an inch - most of the mess is gone within a minute of entering the stall. I no longer find it awkward or embarrassing - it's just my way of going to the toilet.

As some one who deals with both at severe levels and never knows when I will pee or poop, I can say, you do what you feel most comfortable with. Thats what I learned a long time ago. Oh and I know where all the bathrooms are. I dont think much of it when I have to change in a public restroom. Of course I have had a life time to get used to it.

Paxe,
    That is a good idea as I will undoubtedly come across restrooms I won't want to/can't lay down in to clean like normal. They are trying bulking fiber again and it seems to be working a bot better this time. It is making the clean up easier.

waslost1234abc,
    I took a look at your blog. How long was it before you got over the embarassment? As it stands the Abena M4 does a good job of keeping the smell contained while I run away, but it can be quite bad when untaped. My colon issues kinda make it bad and almost unbearable to even me.

Hi dlinu, you asked good questions. Don't be a hermit because of your incontinence. Paxe has given you some good information. I'm bowel incontinent and will try to answer some more. The key is preparation and testing.

I always have in my car a "go" kit in a small backpack with a change of diaper, a plastic sheet, large wipes in a zip-lock bag, latex gloves, 2 disposal bags, some duct tape rolled around a cut-off piece of pencil (for diaper repairs), and a very small tube of vaseline to apply as a barrier. When changing a messy diaper in a public restroom it is almost impossible not to get feces on the hands, and so the latex gloves.

Whether to change on the go or return home always is a personal judgement call. I only change in a public restroom when returning home would disrupt my current activity or be inconvenient.

In my car trunk I keep a larger "disaster kit" with a complete change of clothing, another diaper, wipes, barrier cream, latex gloves, absorbent pad, disposal bags, and plastic bags to put soiled clothing in. I rarely have to use this, but it gives me peace of mind.

Re testing, never wear a diaper out of the home and in a social situation that you have not first tested at home in a real-world situation first by messing in it and changing it.

Re embarrassment, I am not sure that I really ever got over it, just became more mentally hardened to the necessities of coping with my incontinence. I will not let it keep me at home. I travel extensively, including international travel. That takes a lot of preparation.

--John