Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything you've done or thought, that you feel you can't tell anyone, ever?

Default Is there anything you've done or thought, that you feel you can't tell anyone, ever?

Lately I've been feeling a little different than usual, remembering interesting dreams, and thinking about certain things from the past. Things that I have felt, and believed, I will never be able to tell anyone. Things that you would only ever be able tell to family, very close friends or a significant other. Things that could possibly cause other people to not want to be friends with you. Not things illegal or very immoral...just...I don't know.

Lately I've been thinking about things that I feel this way about and have been asking myself, "Why do I feel this way about these things?" I've been wondering I have strong, negative feelings about these things buried deep inside.

I'm wondering if anyone feels the same or similar. Have anything you may never be able to tell anyone else?

Honestly, I thought it was gonna be diapers, but then it wasn't.

I wonder if there's really anything that should fall into that category though? You mention strong negative feelings, Sarevok, and I wonder if sharing those thoughts and feelings could help you overcome them. One of the things a psychiatrist or psychologist can be for is to give you a safe person to speak with when you don't believe that you can confide in anyone you know.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieRoni View Post
    I wonder if there's really anything that should fall into that category though? You mention strong negative feelings, Sarevok, and I wonder if sharing those thoughts and feelings could help you overcome them. One of the things a psychiatrist or psychologist can be for is to give you a safe person to speak with when you don't believe that you can confide in anyone you know.
    I've spoken to a good psychologist about a lot of things, but there are some things I don't feel I can tell anyone. There are some things I am too uncomfortable with to say, or write, or type.

I've just been wondering lately if these things effect me more than I thought. I guess I'm just trying to figure out more of myself.

Yep. There are definitely things I have done or thought I doubt I'd ever tell anybody about, and that includes my girlfriend.

Nothing else to say, really, since I'd never allude to those things either.

Sure, quite a few come to mind actually. I used to feel like I couldn't tell anyone certain things but everything just starts to pile up, you know? Suppression isn't generally healthy for ones psyche. When things start to get hazy or you obsess over some things maybe it's time to slowly start letting those out to trusted people. I did that and I'm very glad I did; not all at once of course but slowly over time to my counsellor and close friend.

Another thing that really helped was I started writing and drawing. A creative output can be a great stress relief and eye opener.

I've not done anything which I can say I'd absolutely never admit to anyone, but there are things which I'm ashamed of and keep private. I had a serious drinking problem in my late teens and early '20s, and did and said a lot of things I'm not proud of. Nothing technically criminal, but a lot of things which I feel were a crime in that I upset and angered a lot of people who didn't deserve it. There were reasons why I drank heavily - not all of them my fault, but I know I'm responsible for the things I did wrong. Nobody else forced me to act like an a-hole.

In my fits of remorse, if I knew what I'd done, I'd sometimes come out and apologise, but other times I would get defensive, as if I wouldn't allow myself to admit I'd made these mistakes again. If someone asked me what I'd done during these periods, I'd just say 'some bad things'. I couldn't begin to talk through all the different ways in which I hurt the people around me. I'm sure that's weakness on my part.

The happy ending is that I can have a few drinks without going overboard nowadays. I'm just sorry for everyone that I didn't learn how to do that sooner.

Note: As for thoughts, I used to get very ashamed of my thoughts sometimes, as my OCD tried to tell me that any dark thoughts meant something bad about me. In truth, everyone gets some disturbing thoughts. The issue is whether you learn to accept that they just float into your head sometimes, or whether you assume that every uncomfortable thought you have means something negative about you. I believe the former, but it took me a long time to reach that point.

Sure do, but telling people sorta defeats the purpose of having something I can't tell anyone.

Not even family, close friends, or significant others. Strictly my own business. It's not that I don't fear being ostracized for them, but it just doesn't feel necessary to tell them.

soggyboy

There are things that I would not want the Authorities to know.....