Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching?

Default Geocaching?

So I couldnīt find a recent thread about the subject so I decided to try and find about if thereīs any interest in geocaching amongst the members here?

I am really a beginner myself but I think itīs a great hobby to have. I get to see and experience quite a lot of spots in my local environs that I havenīt been to before or in a new way entirely.

Plus, I enjoy going for a geocaching tour whilst padded.
    Last edited by Titus; 12-Oct-2014 at 22:35. Reason: spelling

I like the idea but there seems to be a near total lack of interest in my geographic area.

Nowadays, it's kind of a bad idea. Too many people will see a suspicious package in the woods and call the bomb squad. Then they'll do a stakeout and the next poor person to come looking for it gets arrested.

I've heard of the bomb squad blowing up caches....I've got two placed. One in a cemetery, the other in a park

Quote Originally Posted by NovaDL View Post
    Nowadays, it's kind of a bad idea. Too many people will see a suspicious package in the woods and call the bomb squad. Then they'll do a stakeout and the next poor person to come looking for it gets arrested.
    Whoa, is it really that bad? I mean even law enforcement have some common sense and geocaching is a world wide phenomenon. Surely they would be aware of that? To me it makes as much sense as to someone not practicing herbal medicine in the era before 1750 in order not to be risking being suspected of doing witchcraft. Iīm not trying to insult you here but the aspect is kind of fascinating.

Arrested and questioned are two different things.... If the authorities are concerned and stop you.... you simply explain that you are hunting Tupperware in the woods, using a $200 hi tech GPS receiver to hunt down happy meal toys. I once had a state park ranger ask what I was doing when I was restocking a cache. He had noticed that people who were going in this trail kept coming out with bags of trash... I had been stocking the cache with 35mm film cans with shipping bags for people to cache in and trash out... they had been trying to see who was littering along the trail and liked that cacheres were taking time to pick up trash along the way

I highly doubt law enforcement will be hanging out at all the local geocache hot spots, get out of the city, into the country and you will be fine, just don't get hurt, don't fall, and don't get bit or lost.

I had 16 hidden around my old town but since ive moved away an old mate there looks after the maintenance of them for me.
    I still love to check if there is any hidden nearby when I go to a new town or go for a drive, some of the places you get to go to are great.
    Years ago I stopped on my way home from work in town to find one, I was on afternoon shift that week, so it was after midnight when I was searching when the police arrived.
    I was explaining it to one of the officers when the other one came over and heard what I was saying, he knew all about it so he said to his partner lets go!

Quote Originally Posted by starpup View Post
    I had 16 hidden around my old town but since ive moved away an old mate there looks after the maintenance of them for me.
    I still love to check if there is any hidden nearby when I go to a new town or go for a drive, some of the places you get to go to are great.
    I concur! Itīs like an adventure each time.

Since I started this hobby Iīve moved around and lived in three different cities, so for me it has also been a neat way to get myself aqainted with a new place.

GeoCaching is always fun. I've been doing it for about 7 years.