Thread: Who agrees with this quote from Henry Nouwen?

Default Who agrees with this quote from Henry Nouwen?

The greatest trap in our life is not success, popularity or power, but self-rejection.
    I do.

I would agree that one thing that can hold a person back is a lack of self confidence. I discovered early on that I would have to take risks if I was to advance and do the kind of work that I wanted to do. it meant applying for new jobs, selling my house and moving. If you don't believe in yourself, you can't accomplish the things that are your dreams. What a terrible waste that becomes.

I really like this quote. Recently I got a job offer from two different companies and I spent some time going over what they both offered and what I wanted out of life. I also looked deep into myself and tried to define who I am. Even after I made my decision about which job I wanted, I continued with the self reflection. And even though I have been telling myself for years that I am a shy person, that I don't make friends easily, I came to the realization that that isn't true. I am not a shy person. I have no problem and I can without difficultly walk up to a person I don't know and have a conversation with them. And as I have looked back over the years I realized that I stopped myself from opportunities to meet a lot of cool people because I was telling myself that I was shy. Kind of stupid right?

It is quite ironic, for me at least, that you posted this.

I have decided in the last couple of weeks to start doing something about my gender identity issues, and for many years been 'self-rejecting' the little voice in my head. I did feel trapped, but now I am free and can start my transition without doubt and fear. I like little quotes that give my brain something to mull over for a few minutes, so thank you very much for this one and keep up the good work.

I think it depends on the individual. For people who are anxious or doubt themselves, self-rejection is often a major obstacle. I've never had much success, popularity or power, so I don't know whether I could compare the effects of all these issues. That said, I certainly think that self-rejection causes enormous personal instability, and means an individual can become so obsessed with not making mistakes and avoiding 'doing wrong' that they can stagnate completely, afraid to do anything to improve their situation, and afraid of what being their true self might mean, or might lead to.

In more specific terms, I think Henry Nouwen was probably referring to his own dichotomy of being deeply religious, and involved in the church, whilst knowing himself to be homosexual (or at least, not primarily heterosexual - as Kinsey said, we're all along the scale somewhere), which is probably the most troubling kind of self-doubt, the idea that you've done wrong by your creator. Despite the fact homosexuality is barely covered in the Bible, the accepted belief of many in the Priesthood (which Nouwen was) has been to consider homosexuality as a sin or an illness. In that sense, feeling you're trapped by issues like power or success certainly pales in comparison to feeling that your personal and sexual yearnings go against the wishes of God.