Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why are adult diapers sooo expensive

kitty0230

Default why are adult diapers sooo expensive

i was buying in NYC on monday and i was wondering, why is a pack of depends $14.99, is that just ny, or is that everywhere, cuase i think its rediculous, i mean its some gel and plastic, and maybe some tape, i dont know why its 15 bucks, and the 10.99 store brand i bought was lousy, the underjams are better than them, i eventually ended up ditching the diapers in a garbage can cause they were so bad they werent worth getting caught with, anyone else wonder why a decent diaper is so expensive, and why they cant make one for 10.99 that works

Dry 24/7 is cheap. You can get a case of 72 for $75 and free shipping. Plus they're awesome diapers.

kitty0230

thank you, however, my mom opens every box that arrives with my name on it, and i don't have 75 bucks, or a place to hide 75 diapers, also, i wanted to know the REASON the diapers are so expensive, but thanks for your insight

Ouch. Well, it's just a matter of supply and demand. They'll charge whatever price they can get people to pay. How many is in the pack of Depends? 18 or 20 or so? $15 is still a pretty cheap price.. that's less than $1/diaper.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    Ouch. Well, it's just a matter of supply and demand. They'll charge whatever price they can get people to pay. How many is in the pack of Depends? 18 or 20 or so? $15 is still a pretty cheap price.. that's less than $1/diaper.
    Just so. They're not really marketing to the demographic that finds a price of under $1 each to be shocking. It's 20 to the package for small/medium, and anywhere from $15 to $18 seems pretty reasonable to me.

It has to be the marketing. Where I am, a bag of depends costs $16.99, so you are getting a deal for $14.99, while generic brands are usually in the $11-12 range, but generics are not advertised, except maybe in the store's circular.

Case in point here, depends run about a dollar a diaper, but so do the Dry 24/7 brand, and they include shipping. However, I think most people here who have tried both will attest to the fact that the Dry 24/7's have significantly more absorbent material and are far superior to depends, however the price per diaper is only a difference of a matter of pennies, and that includes the fact that the Dry's price include shipping costs to your door. Depend's do advertise quite a bit, watch TV Land for a while and you're bound to see a depend ad. Someone has to pay for those advertisments and it's paid for in product markup.

Quote Originally Posted by catty0320 View Post
    i was buying in NYC on monday and i was wondering, why is a pack of depends $14.99, is that just ny, or is that everywhere, cuase i think its rediculous, i mean its some gel and plastic, and maybe some tape, i dont know why its 15 bucks, and the 10.99 store brand i bought was lousy, the underjams are better than them, i eventually ended up ditching the diapers in a garbage can cause they were so bad they werent worth getting caught with, anyone else wonder why a decent diaper is so expensive, and why they cant make one for 10.99 that works
    Just like Young Jeezy says: it's a recession. But it is also becuase that the brands that we are able to fit into are intended for people with bedwetting problems and partial incontinence. Since changing won't be prevalent they can put a dozen in a bag and jack the price up. That's my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by catty0320 View Post
    my mom opens every box that arrives with my name on it
    Wow, you actually allow that?

I do believe it is a federal offense to open mail that is not addressed to you. It could be different when it involves a minor though, I am not entirely sure.

My parents opened my mail for years until I was over 18. I don't think it's that uncommon at all. catty probably doesn't have a choice in the matter.