Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Learning' as an AB/Little

Default 'Learning' as an AB/Little

This is inspired in part by Brandon Sleepy Puppy's recent thread about educational shows for babies/littles, which I thought was a really interesting topic.

I'm interested to hear how other ABs feel about activities where you're 'learning' things at a baby pace, things which you already know - for example using toys designed to teach animal noises, TV shows which explore basic concepts like counting or washing your hands, and even simple block puzzles where you have to fit together the pieces to make a car, an animal etc.

Do you find these sorts of activities help you immerse into regression, and do you experience fun and wonder in being taught like you're a baby/toddler, or do you find it insanely dull 'learning' things you already know at a pace designed for people with far less intellectual capabilities than you?

I'd say I feel the latter in terms of TV shows, but quite enjoy books and toys which teach ideas in baby style, in bright and colourful ways. That said, I can only 'learn' as a baby for a short periods of time before getting bored of it.

I tend to focus on educational programs for little designed to teach kids things about social interaction, things with undeniable educational value but with a focus on being a good friend, listening, dealing with problems a child faces with other children and the like. Because I think those are things every person still can learn more of, and they never dull me.

The more classic learning stuff though that you mentioned.. counting and the like. It's very cute! It doesn't dull me, but I don't interact it with a in the same way a small one will the first time as intended. In my really regressive moments it's comforting to have around though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arietta View Post
    I tend to focus on educational programs for little designed to teach kids things about social interaction, things with undeniable educational value but with a focus on being a good friend, listening, dealing with problems a child faces with other children and the like. Because I think those are things every person still can learn more of, and they never dull me.
    I completely agree that little programs (or other little items) which focus on kindness, compassion and dealing with others have value throughout life. I imagine that anyone watching/reading how Winnie the Pooh behaves, for example, will gradually become a kinder and more thoughtful person. I also think the ways in which good manners are taught to littles are lovely. I have a Baby's first tea set where pressing the items teaches you how to say please and how to share (amongst other things), which is not just extremely cute, but also a good reminder for any person, no matter how old.

I thought of another aspect to things since I posted. The sort of counting, learning colors, and the like might be a little dull when you are by your lonesome.. but they are really fun as a social thing with a caretaker. If mommy is around and "guiding me" and cheering me on, that sort of thing can be a lot more fun.

I thought of another aspect to things since I posted. The sort of counting, learning colors, and the like might be a little dull when you are by your lonesome.. but they are really fun as a social thing with a caretaker. If mommy is around and "guiding me" and cheering me on, that sort of thing can be a lot more fun.
    Good point. I think that for those without a caretaker, the next best thing is an interactive app which praises you for getting things right, or which talks to you as you learn.

Whilst I agree that it's great having Mommy cheer me on whilst I try and 'learn' things, I'm always momentarily confused when she contests something I say about politics or the economy, because my brain reacts with 'earlier on you were just impressed that I knew that ducks say quack'.
    Last edited by Sanch; 10-Oct-2014 at 19:12. Reason: Wording

I find that most educational games are too boring for me. Books or other reading materials, on the other hand, I do not find as boring. For TV, I like the shows that have more of a story than shows that try to learn the 'hard' facts (letters, counting, etc).

BrandonSleepypuppy

wOO HOO. I didnt think people were really paying attention to my posts. Good to see
    someone was inspired

http://www.amazon.com/Really-Need-Kn...n+kindergarten

- - - Updated - - -

It's hard not to feel about five again when I bring up an old episode of 321 Contact, or an old Schoolhouse Rock on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDenise View Post
    I find that most educational games are too boring for me. Books or other reading materials, on the other hand, I do not find as boring. For TV, I like the shows that have more of a story than shows that try to learn the 'hard' facts (letters, counting, etc).
    I feel much the same way. I've recently discovered the Baby Channel on Direct TV, channel 293, and they have a mixture of both. I love Tec the Tractor as it's a narrated story about Tec and his busy day. I also love Harry the Bunny. I've been ending my evening by watching their good-night programming which includes soft music and various forms of art.