Thread: Who agrees with the quote from Plato "only the dead have seen the end of war"?

Default Who agrees with the quote from Plato "only the dead have seen the end of war"?

I agree with it. Whether the country your living in is at war or not, I believe there will always be a war going on in some form somewhere in the world, especially with the way things are in the Middle East.

Statistically, this is actually the most peaceful period in human history. Due to all the media outlets we have in the present day, there's far more knowledge about conflicts outside of our own region than in any other period. The reason war seems like it's everywhere right now, is because the mediums are there to inform people in the west about ongoing conflicts in countries like Syria, Iraq and the Central African Republic. The reality is that peaceful resolution is a more common strategy now than in previous epochs, it's just that when there isn't peaceful resolution, everyone is aware of it, not just the people involved in the war itself. That's a relatively new development.

That said, humanity still hasn't reached a point where the world as a whole is at peace. Only the dead have seen the end of the war, but we're reaching a point where a smaller proportion of the living have experienced the devastating effects of war first-hand.

As I understand it, there's a good argument for us living in the most peaceful period in human history. Conflict seems inevitable but I have to hope for better. I doubt it will be anytime soon but we might get to the point one day where force isn't on the list of reasonable responses. Sorry to answer Plato with something from TV, but I still like this one:

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
    “It’s instinctive. But the instinct can be fought. We’re human beings with the blood of a million savage years on our hands. But we can stop it. We can admit that we’re killers… but we’re not going to kill today. That’s all it takes! Knowing that we’re not going to kill today!”
    One day at a time.

Haha...leave it to Captain Kirk. The other two captains are Captain Crunch and Captain Kangaroo. That said, it seems like the U. S. is always at war, but I've read the same articles demonstrating that we are living in the most peaceful of times. There were many times throughout history, that most of the world was at war. We have improved but have a long way to go.

"War is the supreme test of man in which he rises to heights never approached in any other activity."
    ( General George S. Patton Jr. )

when i was a kid, almost every one of my friend's fathers had served in the military. as i grew-up, all the men i looked up to in life had been in uniform at some point in their lives.....
    i had a reverence and respect for these men, not just because of what they sacrificed for me to have a future.... but because they were both better and worse for what they had been through. it showed in their faces, it showed in their character.

inevitably, i grew-up wanting to find that same *character* in myself that i respected in the men of my youth. and i wanted this even though i didn't feel like i should be a male....

as children in the 50's and 60's, some of us may have idealized military life. but by the time we get out of high school, we pretty much know better.
    however, as much as i was disillusioned and even scared of serving/being indentured in the military by age 20.... i was also faced with the simple truth that only in the service could i expand my horizons, find the measure of myself..... define the meaning of courage for myself.

i learned a lot about myself in the boats...
    i learned that ww2 never really stopped, we just keep calling it by new names. i learned that there are always US soldiers fighting somewhere even if the public doesn't know it (and they most often don't). i learned that the best way to stay out of the big wars is to keep your gun loaded and pointed at the head of your enemy while your talking to him.... that way he'll keep talking and you may never have to use it.

as long as men have disputes, they'll fight. war is just a social-extension of that.
    Last edited by littlelodgewrecker; 12-Oct-2014 at 05:19.