Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah Jazz (NBA) Sign a 5 Year Old with Cancer For a Day

Default Utah Jazz (NBA) Sign a 5 Year Old with Cancer For a Day

This. Is. Spectacular.

I never knew what swag was until his little strut at the end.

With all the bad going on in sports, it's nice to see something awesome like this.

Very cool of them to do. I've been to a few NBA games, and it's always cool when they do stuff like this.

I've been a Jazz fan since they had Malone and Stockton, and McLeansboro, Illinois' Jerry Sloan as coach. I've kind of lost touch with them since Sloan retired. But I might have to start rooting from them again after this great move. I just hope that this isn't one of those Make a Wish type deals, where the kid dies weeks or a few months later. Hopefully we're hearing from JP in the future, when he's making that dunk for real.

That's an awesome story. As a sports fan, there are way too many stories of teams/athletes being idiots, so it's always encouraging to hear something like this.

Another great story recently, from the NFL, has been that of Devon Still. He tried to make the Cincinnati Bengals this year, and didn't make the roster, but the team kept him on their practice squad because his 4-year-old daughter has cancer. So they gave him a spot to make sure he'd be able to pay her medical bills. Always good to hear that some positives are still coming out of the sports world.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spor...cent/14937035/

What a lovely story.

On the same theme, the manager and one of the players of Celtic (one of Scotland's most famous football teams) gave their League Winners medal to a young boy with Down's syndrome, and carried him onto the pitch to do the lap of honour with the team. I absolutely love watching football, but often feel quite cynical about the money and selfishness which surrounds the sport. Gestures like this restore my faith in it all...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ay-Beatty.html

Quote Originally Posted by Illinoise View Post
    I've been a Jazz fan since they had Malone and Stockton, and McLeansboro, Illinois' Jerry Sloan as coach. I've kind of lost touch with them since Sloan retired. But I might have to start rooting from them again after this great move. I just hope that this isn't one of those Make a Wish type deals, where the kid dies weeks or a few months later. Hopefully we're hearing from JP in the future, when he's making that dunk for real.
    I loved watching them during the days of those guys too. After that, I only recognized one of the team members, the rest were just there. And I live in Utah.

I laughed at this. I love it when the world is like this. We "Need" more people like this, not robbers and murderers. This video was cute.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNapsALot View Post
    What a lovely story.

On the same theme, the manager and one of the players of Celtic (one of Scotland's most famous football teams) gave their League Winners medal to a young boy with Down's syndrome, and carried him onto the pitch to do the lap of honour with the team. I absolutely love watching football, but often feel quite cynical about the money and selfishness which surrounds the sport. Gestures like this restore my faith in it all...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ay-Beatty.html
    I've started watching some EPL games since NBC and NBC Sports started covering the league here in the States a few years ago. I notice that a lot of the pre game festivites feature the two teams coming out of the tunnel, with some of the players holding little kids' hands when they come out onto the field. I've often wondered how they select those kids. I hope it's by merit, and not just some young relatives of team execs or players.