Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my CDL and looking for advise

Default Getting my CDL and looking for advise

So I enrolled at a CDL school and will be taking my driver tests this coming Sunday. After that I will be looking for a job.

Is there any diapered truck drivers on here that would recommend a company worth working for? I am in the Central Colorado area. I have been kinda leaning towards something either local or over the road with Werner, but have read I would be with a trainer for 287 hours.

Thanks for all your input.

Werner is good. The training is lengthy, but you get to learn a LOT and make sure you're safe and knowledgeable. These companies that offer 2 weeks training, and give you a truck are crap. You won't have enough real experience under your belt to be worth a damn. Trust me, Werner's training method works well!

Quote Originally Posted by InconDLTrucker View Post
    Werner is good. The training is lengthy, but you get to learn a LOT and make sure you're safe and knowledgeable. These companies that offer 2 weeks training, and give you a truck are crap. You won't have enough real experience under your belt to be worth a damn. Trust me, Werner's training method works well!
    I have to agree with you about werner, it is a great place to gain experience and get your foot in the door of the trucking industry but I must say that their trucks are just as crappy as everybody elses. as far as wearing diapers during your training i dont have any experience but as long as you are up front about your condition with whoever hires you and your trainer I would not see any problems for you.

I got my CDL through Prime Inc. They are a great company to work for. Just don't try and jump in to any leasing programs that these companies like to offer, they never work.

More on Prime Inc.... I didn't have to go through a truck driving school, I didn't have to come up with any tuition or anything. You sign a contract to work for them for at least a year (as a CDL holder). I went through about 6 months of training. Prime Inc has great equipment, especially when it comes to their trailers. Their terminal is probably the best out there with a lot of amenities. Werner's pay is the downside of the company. They are one of the worst in that regard. Their drivers told me that once you get out of training you only get 25 cents per mile. It may have changed since then, I'm not sure. With Prime, you'll get good experience with the company.

I do have to say though the more experience you have with a trainer, the better. Prepare for mountain driving, it can be pretty scary at first, and don't pay no mind to those "super truckers" they are usually the ones that kill people. Don't take your experience lightly. People often get too comfortable and start to get a little too confident about their actions.

Another thing would be to not let your trainer make you their work slave. If you don't like the person or don't like this person's hygienic well being, don't be afraid to demand out if you see fit.

As far as wearing diapers on the road, they can come in real handy. Especially when stuck in a traffic jam. You should also wear a premium diaper and perhaps plastic pants. You don't want a urine soaked seat. Be prepared to be bored out of your mind.

One last tip, always assume that everyone is going to cut you off, don't try to change their mind because it will put you in a situation where your career is over. People in Regular automobiles (4wheelers in trucker language) drive pretty stupid around trucks, pay attention to your mirrors at all times and look well ahead of yourself, not just the car in front of you, but the entire picture.

I wish the best for you in your new career.

I recieved my cdl from central out of salt lake. I have nothing but good things to say about the course. After the class I had to do a month with a trainer and thanks to the good man upstairs I got a really good trainer. After my month I took there upgrade test and passed then I recieved my truck and went over the road for 4 months and then switched to local and I wish I would have stayed over the road cause now that swift owns us they are more strict and will not get us new equipment. I wore diapers when I was over the road and loved it now as a local driver the trucks are kept pretty gross and are daycabs so changing is a very public act so to say. Metalmann pointed out some great tips.

Ever heard of a "truckbomb"? That's where a trucker releives his bladder in a plastic bottle (1L for example), caps it, and tosses it out the window as he's going down the road.

It's become an issue with people that walk the highways picking up litter and bottles for recycling.

diapers of course being the better option

Diaper bombs! I agree that the tossing those out the window is pretty disgusting. Even if I have to go in to a bottle (I never do it while driving) I will properly dispose of it. No telling how many times the driver had missed the bottle. Eww

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaLMaNN1983 View Post
    I got my CDL through Prime Inc. They are a great company to work for. Just don't try and jump in to any leasing programs that these companies like to offer, they never work.

More on Prime Inc.... I didn't have to go through a truck driving school, I didn't have to come up with any tuition or anything. You sign a contract to work for them for at least a year (as a CDL holder). I went through about 6 months of training. Prime Inc has great equipment, especially when it comes to their trailers. Their terminal is probably the best out there with a lot of amenities. Werner's pay is the downside of the company. They are one of the worst in that regard. Their drivers told me that once you get out of training you only get 25 cents per mile. It may have changed since then, I'm not sure. With Prime, you'll get good experience with the company.

I quit driving a year ago with Werner (well, quit driving altogether, actually). But - they pay $350/wk during training, and in 2009/2010 they started new driver at .32cpm once they go solo.

I do have to say though the more experience you have with a trainer, the better. Prepare for mountain driving, it can be pretty scary at first, and don't pay no mind to those "super truckers" they are usually the ones that kill people. Don't take your experience lightly. People often get too comfortable and start to get a little too confident about their actions.

Pay attention to this part! It'll save your life!

Another thing would be to not let your trainer make you their work slave. If you don't like the person or don't like this person's hygienic well being, don't be afraid to demand out if you see fit.

As far as wearing diapers on the road, they can come in real handy. Especially when stuck in a traffic jam. You should also wear a premium diaper and perhaps plastic pants. You don't want a urine soaked seat. (NOR does your trainer!, LOL!) Be prepared to be bored out of your mind.

One last tip, always assume that everyone is going to cut you off, don't try to change their mind because it will put you in a situation where your career is over. People in Regular automobiles (4wheelers in trucker language) drive pretty stupid around trucks, pay attention to your mirrors at all times and look well ahead of yourself, not just the car in front of you, but the entire picture.

Again - Pay attention to this part!

I wish the best for you in your new career.
    Me too!

I wanted to thank all you for your input, I did pass my driving test and got my plastic in the mail yesterday. I was off on a family vacation, so sorry for the delay in getting back with you guys.

Lucky! I wanted to get my CDL so I could drive a real dump truck for my dad's construction biz but when I had my seizures I couldn't and I found out that I have to be seizure free for a decade before I can try to get my CDL. I do drive a mid size dump truck and people drive like shit so I can't imagne what it would be like for a full size semi!