Thread: Hero universes

Default Hero universes

What is it about hero universes. The Flash, Arrow, Ironman, Thor, all of the Marvel and DC combined. What makes us love these false characters? Is it their powers? Or is it something more? Maybe it's just what they show us. As people their selfish, greedy, and self absorbed, but as heroes their strong giving and self sacrificing. Some people idolize their favorite heroes. Wanting their powers of gift for themselves. I personally would want Iron man suit, Capa's shield with his enhancements. The real question here is why don't we try for some of these powers? The world needs real heroes. Some kind of light in all of the darkness. We have humans have lost our way. We should care for one another, and should not be fighting each other over every little thing. Another question to be answered is, is there a way to brighten the world for the better, or it is too far gone?

Regular heroes are hard enough to come by and maintain. I love comics when they're done right but I don't think we're ready for superheroes either in a social, technical, or societal sense. How many people do you know that could be trusted with Superman's powers to always do right (whatever that even means)?

Superheroes work best as inspiration to appeal to our better natures. That's their greatest power.

With or without super powered people (and I call dibs on teleporting) I can't see the world getting much better when we stick to divisive primitive ideas such as religion, monarchies and flag states.

Superman is an ideal where I see Marvels characters as more representative of the real world as they have personalities, flaws, belief systems etc that mimic how divided the real world is.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Regular heroes are hard enough to come by and maintain. I love comics when they're done right but I don't think we're ready for superheroes either in a social, technical, or societal sense. How many people do you know that could be trusted with Superman's powers to always do right (whatever that even means)?

Superheroes work best as inspiration to appeal to our better natures. That's their greatest power.
    I agree with Trevor.

The reasons the comic "super hero's" are so "good is because they are fighting super villain's. And there is always another super villain to take up the role when one is defeated.

So in actuality we have our "villains" that come through history and they are "defeated". But then the argument is brought up who is the "Villain" and who is the "Hero".

A good case in point IN the 1940's who was one of America's Greatest Ally and Greatest Enemy?
    The answer is Joseph Stalin. He did more to assist the American government by killing off his scientist because of his paranoia that he actually filled both roles.

There is a lot more that I could state but I do not want to hijack this thread.

you want real heroes....
    the Men of Taffy-3 in the Battle off Samar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar

the Marines at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chosin_Reservoir

every guy that went ashore at normandy on D-day.

the crew of the arizona on Dec 7 1941.....

the crews of the subs Scorpion & Thresher.

and every man and woman who is willing to give their blood or lay down their life for this Country (USA) that you and i can live free....
    all of these are Heroes to me. they are the role model and inspiration enough that i could never hope to live up too. but i damn well try.

finely, all of my many brothers, and the few sisters whom i and the world lost to AIDS.... faces that haunt my dreams and fill my prayers... friends i shall dearly miss until the day i join them. they too are my heroes.

i think courage is the only superpower that really matters, and the only one i want.
    lodge wrecker....
    Last edited by littlelodgewrecker; 11-Oct-2014 at 12:23.

I grew up in a world where Saturday morning cartoons meant seeing Superman and Batman as the embodiment of "good". There were no "dark sides" or "grittiness" as the movies aspire to make them now. Superman was good, Lex Luthor was evil. There were no grey areas. I still aspire to be like the good guys. The comics of that time, however, were really weird. I just remember the TV shows.

I was a small, scrawny kid growing up. I had an abusive father, an unloving family, and I was often bullied and picked on in school. For me, reading super hero comics was a form of escape from the real world. When I was pretending I was Superman or Batman as a kid where I had powers or great capacity to change the world, it gave me a few moments of respite from the reality of my world at that time.